xKillah - Enduro eBike

OMG! Its turned out amazingly! If I was to ever own one I would mirror polish every piece!! Its a beautiful build. Congrats!

I did some accelaration shot to tune the controller. The knobby tires does not provide good traction on street.
However it can easily win on 0-60km/h vs my KTM 350... it's insane

I still have RPM limited to 75%. I should arrive to 85Km/h max speed with this sprocket size (48t).

Some video coming soon.

:shock: :shock:
really impressive, congratulation for your work.

will you make some video? how about the weight?

0-60 for sure ebike will win, it wont win on the 60 or 600 mile trip at speed vs gasoline KTM motor/dirtbike.
Its a cool looking motorcycle ebike because without pedals its 100% a motorbike, with pedals it may not be a bicycle in Chalo's books by a long shot, but its more of a bicycle somewhat in my books.

Seriously impressive build!!
I'm looking at building a couple of "higher-power" bikes for next winter and will most definitely use your build as inspiration.

How thick are the alu-blocks you milled the parts from?
The front pieces that connect the sides to the fork mount, how did you mill those? They don't look to be millable in a regular 3 axis mill?

:bigthumb: Really impressive! I recommend some sort of bash guard to cover and protect the motor for off-road riding.

A SurronX costs about 4-5k USD. Do you have an estimate for the total cost of the materials you used in your design?

Thanks!

Do you have an estimate for the total cost of the materials you used in your design?
I will be very interested in BigBlock's answer but remember the cost of a custom manufacture versus the cost of something that is mass produced is a complicated comparison.

For example, now that this has been designed, and if all the parts were outsourced and mass produced, my guess is the cost will be similar to a surron. I'm also going to guess that if you had all the files, sent them to have someone mill all the parts, there is no chance that would be cheaper than a mass produced bike. Now it might be you could start with raw materials and do the milling yourself. That will be cheaper -- but then would you say the cost included the purchase of the milling machine, the time it took to assemble, or the time it took to design?

I hope it is okay to speak for him, but BigBlock's design is exquisite, it must have taken an enormous amount of time to design, (I hope) he receives good salary for his design skills -- you have to also wonder if that would be factored into the cost?

Again, I'm not saying that it is wrong to ask about a price comparison, but there are many factors that make the calculation difficult.

owhite said:
I'm also going to guess that if you had all the files, sent them to have someone mill all the parts, there is no chance that would be cheaper than a mass produced bike.

+1 here.

amazing design, awesome skills.love it.

rider63 said:
:shock: :shock:
really impressive, congratulation for your work.

will you make some video? how about the weight?

yes, I'll do some video soon. Weight is approx. 72Kg in riding conditions. It's really close to what my CAD said before building.

hubbe said:
Seriously impressive build!!
I'm looking at building a couple of "higher-power" bikes for next winter and will most definitely use your build as inspiration.

How thick are the alu-blocks you milled the parts from?
The front pieces that connect the sides to the fork mount, how did you mill those? They don't look to be millable in a regular 3 axis mill?

the pieces that connects with the headtube was the only two that required a 5 axis machine. I outsourced to a local machine shop doing it for me.

hubbe said:
Another question: Does anyone know what wheels those are?

I read a lot of articles about Surron wheels before committing on a 16/19 setup - It actually makes the bike feel nimble as a MTB more than and enduro motorbike. This is what I was looking for.

REAR:
16x1.85 Rim
Tyre: 90/100x16"

FRONT:
19x1.40 Rim
TYRE: 70/100x19"

BigBlock said:
the pieces that connects with the headtube was the only two that required a 5 axis machine. I outsourced to a local machine shop doing it for me.

Kind of expected, it's hard to make everything simple enough geometry to be produced with a 3-axis.. But it should be possible with some creative rigging to make that part too on a 3-axis, right?

Looking to build a couple of bikes with the LightningRods BigBlock, mostly for riding on the snow in winter.. so looking at 24" fatbike wheels, but having seen this bike it's really hard to decide which way to go..

KOLOB said:
:bigthumb: Really impressive! I recommend some sort of bash guard to cover and protect the motor for off-road riding.

A SurronX costs about 4-5k USD. Do you have an estimate for the total cost of the materials you used in your design?

Thanks!

For the frame: I spent approx 900euro for raw material and then milled almost all parts by myself. I then spent approx. 300 euro for the two pieces I had to sent out to a 5-axis machine shops.

If you have to outsource the whole milling process, I estimate it will cost 2.500 / 2.800 euro (I used XOMETRY.EU estimator). This is for one frame only. If you order 10x sets at once, the costs will be 3 time less.

Having said that, now here in Europe price and lead time for aluminium it's going crazy..... so it really depends by the moment you sort out the order.

I'm guessing a platform where interested people can commit to order a frame set but the final order to the supplier is sent only when 10 (or more) orders have been reached... It will make unit price more cheaper.

The final cost of the bike will depends by components - Battery, motor, inverter, fork, shock and wheels. If you do the battery by yourself you save a lot of money (you buy the cells only).

If you want an equivalent Surron build you have to buy again the same components unless the motor (and trash most of the OEM Surron components). So probably it will come even cheaper of an upgraded Surron.

owhite said:
Do you have an estimate for the total cost of the materials you used in your design?
I will be very interested in BigBlock's answer but remember the cost of a custom manufacture versus the cost of something that is mass produced is a complicated comparison.

For example, now that this has been designed, and if all the parts were outsourced and mass produced, my guess is the cost will be similar to a surron. I'm also going to guess that if you had all the files, sent them to have someone mill all the parts, there is no chance that would be cheaper than a mass produced bike. Now it might be you could start with raw materials and do the milling yourself. That will be cheaper -- but then would you say the cost included the purchase of the milling machine, the time it took to assemble, or the time it took to design?

I hope it is okay to speak for him, but BigBlock's design is exquisite, it must have taken an enormous amount of time to design, (I hope) he receives good salary for his design skills -- you have to also wonder if that would be factored into the cost?

Again, I'm not saying that it is wrong to ask about a price comparison, but there are many factors that make the calculation difficult.

I have designed the bike for the DIY - I intentionally avoided welding of complex manufacturing process.

Mass production is a different story. All parts should be designed and manufactured from cast aluminium (like the Surron).

This bike is not intended for who want to spend less than a Surron - it's for who want to have a way better product to be customized with parts and component of choice. Maybe at same price of an "upgraded" Surron.

Back