High Power Arduino Digital Scalable BMS (Open source)

crissob said:
Meanwhile, advanced user can start discovering how every part work with schematics and Arduino code.

I've noticed a few ICs etc without part numbers on the schematics, it's a bit incomplete without that.

crissob said:
At this moment the main uncertainty is assembly, so in the future we will go to cheaper prices, as low as we can, in a transparent manner. For cheaper prices, for example some simple projects like small bikes, even some modules can be excluded for simplicity and lower prices. For example short circuit detection hardware, load or charger detection, some filtering or protection diodes can be removed for very low price targets.

PCB assembly should be pretty cheap, also seems that components are only on one side of the PCBs - placing them on both should make PCB smaller/cheaper.

jayx said:
I've noticed a few ICs etc without part numbers on the schematics, it's a bit incomplete without that.

If you download and open the schematic in some pdf viewer, like acrobat, and you click on the component, you'll have lots of info there, not just IC part reference but datasheet URL, characteristics, pricing, and supplier. In that aspect I think there's little space for complaints about transparency :), It's a truly open source professional BMS, thinking in opening the field so we can see more interesting vehicles out there, not just pre-Renaissance explosion motors.

crissob said:
PCB assembly should be pretty cheap, also seems that components are only on one side of the PCBs - placing them on both should make PCB smaller/cheaper.

Well, yes, but it can do more complex the assembly process. But, I agree, probably there are lots of improvements to be done, but you know, it can become an infinite loop :)

When will you be uploading the firmware to your site? I'm interested to see it.

Components on both side of the PCB rarely lowers the total cost as it requires an extra run through pick and place and an adhesive layer.

Yes, we wanted to upload it last week, but we had some issues with wake up interrupt. Now is almost done, so this week it should be uploaded!

crissob said:
Yes, we wanted to upload it last week, but we had some issues with wake up interrupt. Now is almost done, so this week it should be uploaded!
Sounds good, firmware is always the hard part but least understood by those not directly involved :)

Can't wait for these to be available. I definitely have an application for a quick/ hackable/programmable BMS

crissob said:
If you download and open the schematic in some pdf viewer, like acrobat, and you click on the component, you'll have lots of info there, not just IC part reference but datasheet URL, characteristics, pricing, and supplier. In that aspect I think there's little space for complaints about transparency :), It's a truly open source professional BMS, thinking in opening the field so we can see more interesting vehicles out there, not just pre-Renaissance explosion motors.
Nice one, thanks for the tip :). By the way, is there any reason you select LTC6803 instead of LTC6804 for your project?

crissob said:
Well, yes, but it can do more complex the assembly process. But, I agree, probably there are lots of improvements to be done, but you know, it can become an infinite loop :)
dmwahl said:
Components on both side of the PCB rarely lowers the total cost as it requires an extra run through pick and place and an adhesive layer.
My idea was that placing components on both sides of the PCB will make it smaller, and as usually PCB cost depends on its size then it should be cheaper. Although yes, it will require extra run through reflow line (paste printer/pick and place/oven), but not adhesive unless soldered on wave, but that's ancient technology.

grindz145 said:
Can't wait for these to be available. I definitely have an application for a quick/ hackable/programmable BMS

That's the idea!, to have an advanced equipment that people can hack and adapt to their project. By the way, I've seen your projects, would be very nice to see the BMS in one of them!

jayx said:
Nice one, thanks for the tip :). By the way, is there any reason you select LTC6803 instead of LTC6804 for your project?

We started with LTC6802-2, the we kept updating to new and better versions until the 6803-4 that works very well for our concept. 6804 introduced that isolated spi, and that involved quite radical design modifications, so we preferred to stay in 6803-4 that fits very well, and advance in other parts of the projects by now.

Hi,

The firmware of the Pico-1 BMS has been uploaded. You can check it in:

https://github.com/DiazGopar/divisek

There's a link in the page too:

http://www.divisek.es/index.php/en/files/software

It's just a first revision and at the moment there's a lack of documentation. Next steps are doing a video showing the system working, and developing good documentation.
As in the hardware system, contributions are welcome.

Hi Velias,

Yes, all of the boards of the BMS, included power, are two layer designs.

So how does the balancing algorithm look?

I've seen several approaches but most fail if you have a serious imbalance. It would be nice if it could force a balance on all cells if desired (this might take a long time).

Also think about how to interface to a wide variety of controllers and chargers. Many ways to deal with this too.

Are you planning to integrate a high current cutoff switch for charge/discharge? (sorry if this is posted somewhere I didn't look).

Back