Max amps for golden motor?

steveo

100 kW
Hey everyone

for those of you who may not know .. I've been successfull at getting star delta on my replica golden motor ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXIdjGSB2_g

I want to run this motor on my norco bike with a123 .. but i'm curious to know the max amps the motor can take.. I'm willing to sacrafice a bit of torque .. if i could get more speed.. and the same low end torque .. at around 50km/h with this motor .. in star /delta

-steveo

You really cant define Max Amps without time in the equation.

This week I have been running 100V on my Nine Continent hub with a 120A current limit and it is fine.
Why?? Because I am not a nOOb :mrgreen:

The max amps for an experienced rider like you is a function of time.
It is just like a real high performance sports car..... If you want the explosive power on tap then you have to practice throttle control.
If you want something that is bullet proof then you have to give up peak performance.

Set the amps at an arbitrary value - 50A
Go ride it easy around the block a few times. Check to see if it gets warm.
Hammer it around the block a few times. Check to see if it gets warm.

Most people are going to give you a conservative number. Lets say it is 50A.
I will argue that you can run any motor on this site with no current limit if you just practice throttle control and pay attention to your motor

(Lol.. This coming from the only guy to ever burn up an X5! HA... Becareful who you take advice from :twisted: )

-methods

Hey methods..

Just fyi ..

this motor is would with 11 strand of est 24AWG for the windings ..

I'll stick with it at 50 amps for now .. I'm getting another golden motor .. which i will do air cooling .. and star delta .. and rip around with in on my a123!

i'll lose a little low end torque .. but i'll have decent acceleration and a lot better top end

-steveo

Ok.

I was not trying to give you an absolute number btw... That 50A was just an illustration. Could be 20A is the max for that thing for all I know.

Just pointing out that the only thing that limits current is heat.
You could run a 1000A if you did it for shorter than the period of time it takes to melt the 24 awg wires.

The only reason motors are rated with a "voltage" is because they assume that we dont have a current limit on our controller
The only reason motors are rated with a current limit is because they assume that we dont have a way to handle the heat.

Good luck!
I am sure it will be a monster like your last bike.

-methods

methods said:
Ok.

I was not trying to give you an absolute number btw... That 50A was just an illustration. Could be 20A is the max for that thing for all I know.

Just pointing out that the only thing that limits current is heat.
You could run a 1000A if you did it for shorter than the period of time it takes to melt the 24 awg wires.

The only reason motors are rated with a "voltage" is because they assume that we dont have a current limit on our controller
The only reason motors are rated with a current limit is because they assume that we dont have a way to handle the heat.

Good luck!
I am sure it will be a monster like your last bike.

-methods

Hey Methods

I will get a second golden motor repllica .. set it up for star/delta .. and rip it up till she pulls minimum 6kw .. and let you know how it handles

-steveo

Is it the 500w or 1000w motor you are modifying to star/delta and getting speeds of around 60kms?

Hey Steveo,
Nice work, good to see the delta star set up can be run on GMs!
That little wheel is screaming at that voltage!
I'm keen to give it a go on my 500w GM hub next time I have cause to pull the wheel off.

How did you go about getting the extra 3 phase wires through the axle ? Did you use the same gauge wires as original ?

Hyena said:
Hey Steveo,
Nice work, good to see the delta star set up can be run on GMs!
That little wheel is screaming at that voltage!
I'm keen to give it a go on my 500w GM hub next time I have cause to pull the wheel off.

How did you go about getting the extra 3 phase wires through the axle ? Did you use the same gauge wires as original ?

Hey

I drilled the hole for the wires one size up from original .. i think 3/8's .. and i used the original wires.

-steveo

I like to think in terms of heat limits.. In my climate pretty mild amps are enough for a long ride to melt motors.

Back