50A Cutoff switch. Arcing

Gordon

100 W
I have been using a 50A automotive toggle switch as a cutoff for my battery. Seems to have an arcing issue. Notice how close the lugs are attached to the board.
has started to meld the board so the contacts are even closer together.

Any suggestions for a better switch ?.
All of these type switches I've seen have the connection lugs very close together

Thanks.

100_2223.jpg

Any advice about replacing this with a relay switch ?
What I would need for parts?
Where to order ?

This is a link AJ put up a few days ago. Sez he has good luck with theze.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2245

Thanks icewrench. Those look good.

This forum never ceases to amaze me. Can always get good suggestions on all my stupid questions :D

And then add a momentary switch with one wire going to one of your main switch contacts, other wire to a 5w or 10w white ceramic power resistor out of some old tv or monitor or power supply or similar, 500ohm to 10kohm, other end of resistor to other lead of main switch.

before you turn on main switch, press momentary for 30 seconds, it precharges your caps, now no arcing on main switch and it lasts forever. ;)

You can also buy those battery isolation switches from boating shops like Whitworths and Bias Boating, etc.

Note that they are quite large, in comparison to your toggle switch, and best suited to mounting on a battery box.

amberwolf said:
And then add a momentary switch with one wire going to one of your main switch contacts, other wire to a 5w or 10w white ceramic power resistor out of some old tv or monitor or power supply or similar, 500ohm to 10kohm, other end of resistor to other lead of main switch.

before you turn on main switch, press momentary for 30 seconds, it precharges your caps, now no arcing on main switch and it lasts forever. ;)

I'll try that

Icewrench said:
This is a link AJ put up a few days ago. Sez he has good luck with theze.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2245
That is a great switch. It may even be spring loaded so it snaps from on to off. Some marine battery switches are also spring loaded.

regards being spring loaded - You have to push the 'key' in while you are turning it ON but it turns OFF easily so it seems spring loaded in that sense.
Also, you can only remove the 'key' while in the OFF position so it can be safely used to switch between 2 batteries if you use two switches and just one 'key'.

That one at Jaycar is a great price at $17.95 AUD, practically the same thing sells at RS Components for about $50 AUD. The one at Bias Boating is $12.90 but doesn't have a rubber boot and I think it is rated at 500A with larger diameter (M10?) fixing terminals.

Back