The SB Cruiser: Amberwolf&Dogman's 2WD CargoTrike&DogCarrier

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: The SB Cruiser: Amberwolf&Dogman's 2WD CargoTrike&DogCarrier

Post by amberwolf » Nov 30, 2017 1:54 pm

WW was probably already closed by then, though I guess I could've had you bring my own stuff to me rather than my brother. :) I definitely appreciate the offer of future assistance if it's ever needed.

FWIW, these moped tires and tubes have been so much more reliable than bicycle versions that even without slime or protector strips, etc., I've run them for more than a year now (long enough to forget when I started) with no issues except that caused by a huge piece of debris across a lane (probably the big beam behind a truck or big car bumper, couldn't really tell at the time). I guess it's made me complacent.

Bicycle tires have been problematic pretty much the entire time I've been doing the cargo bike thing, requiring slime, protector strips, double tires and/or tubes (old ones sliced and placed as "liners" between tube and tire)--at least one of those and sometimes all of them, just for my regular commutes.

Back in my regular bicycle days I still needed at least the slime and strips.

And regardless of what I used, I'd still have to carry extra tubes, because stem failure or seam failure due to crappy tube manufacturing has always been an even worse problem than the actual road-debris-caused flats.

Since my goal is to ride without stopping to fix flats, because it sucks having to always head out up to an hour early anywhere I go just to ensure I am not late in the event of a failure. I tend to always allow a little extra time for whatever traffic delays/etc might come up, but that extra time every day adds up to a lot of time wasted for no good reason, if a preventive measure would negate the need for it. :)

Hence, the moped stuff. Still bicycle tire/tube on the front, but it's not usually the front that gets a flat, even on this monster. Had a few on CrazyBIke2, all stem failures IIRC, though there was one where the stop I had to make due to a car doing a stupid maneuver skidded the already-worn front tire enough to rip thru it and down to the tube; I think the tube survived but was damaged. Been a long while since then, so would have to dig up the post about it for details.

Anyway, the moped stuff, 16" types (20" bicycle equivalent), has been way better quality even with the cheap tubes. I do need to find and get some more tubes for spares, just for this eventuality, and I also need to get a new patch kit (I cannot find the one I presumably took out of the seatbox; it's not in pieces in the doggie-poo areas either, so Kirin and Yogi didn't eat it. :lol: )

I was thinking about the air pump and stuff, and am considering mounting it's guts underneath the trike's cargo deck, between the controllers, wiring into the lighting system directly, and then just keeping an extension air hose from it's kinda short one to reach the rear tires. I'd ahve to take the front wheel off to reach it, but that's not a big deal compared to the rear.

Most of the time to fix the rears I'd have to roll the trike on it's side anyway (assuming no dog or cargo in the back), so easy enough to reach the pump there, too. Then I'll ahve the "good" pump on the trike without using up cargo space in the seatbox.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm

amberwolf wrote:
Nov 30, 2017 1:54 pm
WW was probably already closed by then, though I guess I could've had you bring my own stuff to me rather than my brother. :) I definitely appreciate the offer of future assistance if it's ever needed.
Nope. The one at Christown Spectrum mall is definitely open. I've stopped there a few times after Table Tennis.

And yeah, I get it that this was unusual. It'll probably never come up again on a Monday or Wednesday. ;^)
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=90369

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 04, 2017 5:42 am

Probably not. :) Or if it does it'll be the one night you're doing something else instead. :lol:

I finally got time to closely inspect and test the failed tube, and it had (at least) two punctures--both of them on the *inner* circumference, not the sides or the tread area.

The smallest is just a pinhole, the largest looks almost like a fingernail "pinch". Neither matches the size or shape of anything on the rim itself, including the spoke nipple holes (which are taped over wtih two layers of electrical tape wrapped around the whole rim's circumference).

I even peeled off the tape to either side of the valve stem hole (one hole is on each side of the stem, a couple of inches away in one case and about three in the other), and found no sign that the tape was compromised or allowed the tube to be damaged by anything under it.

So I patched up teh holes, but not the usual way, as I don't know where the patch kit relocated itself to, nor can I find the jar of rubber cement I had. But I do have trashed tubes, and some spray-sealant that contains naptha and other things that should do the job of adhesive.

Roughed up the patches cut from old tube, and the areas around the holes, sprayed sealant on both, let it dry tacky, then stuck them together. Let it dry further, then I sprayed more sealant around the whole patch and tube area, and I'll let it cure overnight before I install it on a rim in a tire and test it. (has to go on a rim cuz otherwise the patches have nothing pressing on them, and are more likely to leak if they are going to.

While I had the tire and bicycle tube off anyway, I slipped the remains of the tube I'd cut the patches from over the bicycle tube as "extra armor" on it's outer circumference. Then reassembled, reinflated, and tested ok.

And I added Slime to both this tube and the patched tube, just in case.

I also did some repairs to the seatbox; it's been squeaking, apparently from the styrofoam inside it rubbing as the box flexes a bit. There's a tiny gap at the bottom edge of teh front, presumably from glue and wood drying out over the last year or so. I filled that with glue and shims, then added screws thru holes in the square tubing, going up a couple of inches into the wood frong panel. Will let that also cure overnight and see if it helps by tomorrow.

While I was at it, I also moved the controls cabling that has always run to the side of the IGH frame and main "keel", which I had intended to run along the top of the keel but kept forgetting to move whenever I was working on the area. Only remembered this time because I had to move it in order to redo the wood on the right front of the seatbox bottom edge. Looks better and is better protected now.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Dec 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Remember that annoying squeak I just "fixed"? Well, I had thought it was just the upper horizontal tube of the "keel" passing thru the wood front of the seatbox rubbing against the wood causing it. And it might be.

But it wasn't wear/compression of the wood allowing it to happen--it was that stress fracture on the interior end of that horizontal tube, finally broken all the way thru, so the entire front end of the trike was supported only by the main keel tube, and was flexing enough to bash repeatedly against the broken-away section of upper tube and it's old seatpost support tube, breaking that away from the main keel tube just above it's welds. (so the welds held fine, but the metal itself sheared off).
dsc06894.jpg
dsc06894.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 39 times
dsc06895.jpg
dsc06895.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 39 times
dsc06897.jpg
dsc06897.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Note the red tube on the right isn't a structural tube, it's just a part of teh chain guard (open-bottom tube). The one on the left is the upper keel tube stub.
dsc06898.jpg
dsc06898.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Since it wasn't really a good design anyway, and was a leftover compromise from the pre-seatbox redesign, I removed the remaining bits of that, to replace it with a new diagonal/vertical tube reconnecting the remainder of the upper keel horizontal tube to the main keel tube, this time at the opposite angle, so it is less stressful for it to push against, and better transfers the load into the keel.
dsc06902.jpg
dsc06902.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 39 times
dsc06903.jpg
dsc06903.jpg (83.3 KiB) Viewed 39 times

So it wouldn't be damaged by the welding, and so I could seal up the whole upper tube, I pulled the 12V lighting supply wiring out of the upper tube where it's resided since SBC was built, and now it runs with all the other control/etc cables down on the top of the main keel tube.

While I had the left (bolt-on) triangle cover off, I also took off some of the rivets of the rightside panel and welded the cracked righthand vertical tube (next to the old "ignition" key, above the gearshifter).
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1324277

I actually was about to find a way to fit the whole lighting battery inside the front triangle, both to free up space in the seatbox and to remove the wire length entirely, when I got distracted by the dogs barking at people wandering thru the alley, who walked from the street to just past the end of my fence, peered around the edge of my fence, then walked back and forth along my fence in the alley, acting weird, keeping the dogs barking at them. By the time that was over I'd forgotten I was going to do that, until I was typing this stuff up. :/ So maybe next time I work on the trike (if there's even room in there, which I don't remember).

What I wanted to do when I made the seatbox was to put a vertical tube between the to and bottom rails of the front of the seatbox, so that the load would all be passed to both fo those tubes and down to the main keel tube. I didn't do it at the time for reasons I don't recall. I would've done it today, except it'd require removing the entire wood front panel (itself requiring removal of the IGH and teh chain to the rear end), and I'd have to relocate the circuit breaker and cutoff switch (both centered in the front of the seatbox right where the tube would have to go). That was just way more work than I could get done in the one day (along with the other household stuff I always have to get done on my days off), so I compromised again.

I also moved the lighting battery from the front of the seatbox to the back, shifting the traction battery forward that distance, and made a vertical "pocket" next to the lighting battery for the three wrenches I carry that are too large for the toolbag. Mostly it's moved so the little breaker on top of the pack doesn't get hit by the toolbag/etc bouncing on the many bumpy areas of the road, which can cause the breaker to be partially-off, taking out the entire lighting system. Usually this is only during the bumpiness, but sometimes it hits the last bump just right and holds the lights off, so I have to stop and get off the trike, and move the stuff off the breaker. :/

I removed a couple layers of the styrofoam on top of the traction pack, so there is now a bit more room in that side for the toolbag, so it isn't quite as tight a fit.

Rode around the yard (which is very uneven, especially since Kirin got here :lol: ) and the whole front end is way stiffer than it has been for a while; I don't recall exactly when it began because it was a slow process, but it's been since the summer sometime. But it's fixed now. :)

We'll see how it works on teh roads in my commute tomorrow.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Dec 14, 2017 4:41 am

So far it's been nice and stiff after the repair.

Since it's been colder for longer at night, the battery performance is a little degraded--acceleration from a stop to 20MPh at full charge had been almost down to 3 seconds back in October when a night in the low 70s or high 60s F was cold; now halfway thru December it's getting down to the low 40s or high 30s, and the highs are where the lows were.

So I've been parking the trike in the shed with the air circulation fan at the cieling on, and a 40w incandescent lamp under the seatbox to let the heat keep the battery warmer.

Without that, the battery gets down to about 50F at it's core and it's outer edges are ambient (about 40F at dawn). Acceleration is sluggish, takes about 5+ seconds to get to 20MPH from zero.

With that, it's staying in the 60s for the outer edges and the core a few degrees warmer, and accleration is about 4 seconds.

It's roughly the same on my way home, after the trike sits for 8-10 hours in the non-climate-controlled breakroom (which is in the high to mid 60sF ATM for most of the day, being on the uninsulated north wall of the building).

The pack doesn't self-heat enough to register on the modified BBQ sensor used to test with, for the 2.5 mile commute.

A separate issue is that sometime after I redid the wiring in October, but before it got colder, the electric braking power degraded; I don't recall if it was sudden change or not but it probably was. I suspect that the "three speed" select button on the controller toggled the mode to a lower-power one, and teh controller probably bases all of it's power monitoring on that, so both braking and acceleration are lowered by it. However--acceleration didnt' seem to be affected, only braking, so perhaps something else is wrong. :/

Braking is still sufficient with the unloaded trike, but I suspect carrying a heavier load or Yogi or Kirin, or pulling the trailer, I'd have a significantly longer braking distance. The front wheel I can still skid if I apply both brakes on it at full, but skidding means I'm not really braking much with it anymore.

Been working on some ways to move weight forward, such as putting the lighting pack in the triangle, possibly moving the built-in charger up there (but I don't think there's room). It's only a few pounds either way, but it might be enough to allow the front wheel to retain traction under hard braking.

I also ran across some of the parts for the hydraulic motorcycle brakes off the old 80's Suzuki dirtbike frame Mdd0127 had given me a while before the fire. If I find the rest of the parts I could potentially make adapters to mount the discs on the inboard side of the rear wheels, and the calipers on the frame, and I'm pretty sure THAT would be able to stop the trike PDQ. ;)

Either that or rip the recycled-materials frame apart from the torque transfer. :P

Now I just have to stop puking my guts up (the head cold I've had for days appears to have moved down), so I can sleep enough to work tomorrow. (it's taken some time to write this post between bouts). Wish there were enough people left at my workplace to allow me to stay home instead. Bleh.