What fet is best for 150v controller?

steveo

100 kW
Hey Everyone,

i have intentions of building another 150v controller. I just wanted to ask if there are any other fet that are better to use then the fdp2532 mosfets found on mouser

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=FDP2532virtualkey51210000virtualkey512-FDP2532

Also What capasitors are best;

I found these here which are 470uf @ 200v which should fit in the controller perfectly .. just a little long ..

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=UPZ2D471MHDvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UPZ2D471MHD

-steveo

fechter said:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IXFH160N15T-ND

150v, 160A, 9.6mOhm, but it comes in a TO-247 package. Not cheap either at $7.10 ea (for 10).

Those capacitors look fine.

Hey Fechter

thanks for the reply on this!

these are alot better at current handling ... and lower resistance!

The fet style looks differently, would these work as a drop in replacement for the fdp2532 fets? do you believe there will be any issues? can i still put a screw threw it to mount to the sink? .. it looks different..

-steveo

Study the datasheets.

Somewhere in the datasheet there will be a mechanical drawing with dimensions. The TO-247 is wider I think, so the spacing between FETs needs to be enough. The hole spacing might be wider too. If you have enough room to bend the leads, that might work, but should be avoided. You might be able to drill new holes in the circuit board to avoid bending the leads if the new holes can hit the right pieces of copper. You may need to drill new holes for the heatsink or make a completely new one.

Other than mechanical issues, the gate drive requirments might be higher, but I bet they're lower than IRFB4310's, which seem to do fine with most driver circuits.

fechter said:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IXFH160N15T-ND

150v, 160A, 9.6mOhm, but it comes in a TO-247 package. Not cheap either at $7.10 ea (for 10).

Those capacitors look fine.

the IRFP4568 is 4.8 typ / 5.9 max mOhm and is also a TO-247. A data sheet is attached. The Miller charge is 55 nC, compared with 62 nC for the 4310; what this means is that the 4568 requires less drive current than a 4310 and will drop in as a replacement electrically. Digi-Key has very high prices but they have them for $9.40 in stock. Unfortunately the TO-247 package does not quite drop in, but sometimes it will fit. A drawing is attached.View attachment to247ac.pdfView attachment irfp4568pbf.pdf

Wow! good find, Bob.

I've never seen that one before. The on resistance is very good.

I looked a bit closer at the dimensions for a TO-247 and it looks like it might be pretty tough to cram those into an existing controller board. Those things are huge.

Perhaps we should look for the best part that comes in a TO-220 size package...

steveo said:
Hey Everyone,

i have intentions of building another 150v controller. I just wanted to ask if there are any other fet that are better to use then the fdp2532 mosfets found on mouser

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=FDP2532virtualkey51210000virtualkey512-FDP2532

Also What capasitors are best;

I found these here which are 470uf @ 200v which should fit in the controller perfectly .. just a little long ..

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=UPZ2D471MHDvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UPZ2D471MHD

-steveo

Stveo.. The voltage race you start will requier soem of these caution label on your bike!

esf20.gif
:twisted:

I know what is 450VDC... :shock: .. very bad feeling.. and plasma that just coock your fingers end! ouch!!

But 150VDC would probably be annoying!

Doc

Doc

74A while cookin at 100C (212F) is wild...

Hmm, wonder if I can get some knock off 4115s on Ebay? :p

Just kidding Bob 8)

Deepkimchi said:
74A while cookin at 100C (212F) is wild...

Hmm, wonder if I can get some knock off 4115s on Ebay? :p

Just kidding Bob 8)

4115 ???

are they new.. or you just confused with 4110?

Doc

Naw - Fechter has a link to them. If one had the money, that would be the thing to use in the 18 FET Infineon. (other thread)

DK

Doctorbass said:
4115 ???

are they new.. or you just confused with 4110?

Doc

Read the datasheet above. I think they are new. It's like a 150v version of a 4110 I guess.

IR has the data sheet for the 4115 on their site, i attached it here.View attachment irfb4115gpbf.pdf

the miller charge of the 4115 is an astonishingly low 26 nC, compared to 43 for the 4110 and 62 for the 4310. Most of the ebike controllers use the IR2101 driver chip, which easily handles a pair of 4310's, so it should be possible to use twice as many 4115's with the same drive circuit.

unfortunately, i cannot find the 4115 in stock at any of my usual sources. Newark has them available with a waiting delay of 52 days for 3.10 ea. in qty 50. If you really need 150v and are not building a special auxiliary pcb for mounting the TO-247 devices this is probably the best fet to use. Of course the larger package provides better thermal conductivity from the die to the heat sink.

if you could get together an order for 100 of the 4115's i could probably get them for about 2.50 each.

bobmcree said:
IR has the data sheet for the 4115 on their site, i attached it here.

the miller charge of the 4115 is an astonishingly low 26 nC, compared to 43 for the 4110 and 62 for the 4310. Most of the ebike controllers use the IR2101 driver chip, which easily handles a pair of 4310's, so it should be possible to use twice as many 4115's with the same drive circuit.

unfortunately, i cannot find the 4115 in stock at any of my usual sources. Newark has them available with a waiting delay of 52 days for 3.10 ea. in qty 50. If you really need 150v and are not building a special auxiliary pcb for mounting the TO-247 devices this is probably the best fet to use. Of course the larger package provides better thermal conductivity from the die to the heat sink.

if you could get together an order for 100 of the 4115's i could probably get them for about 2.50 each.

Hey bob

i would be interested in these fets, also a giney pig if nessasary!

-steveo

steveo said:
bobmcree said:
IR has the data sheet for the 4115 on their site, i attached it here.

Hey bob

i would be interested in these fets, also a giney pig if nessasary!

-steveo

i can't really handle ordering 100 myself right now, but i would take 25 if i can get people to take the other 75. i expect we can get them for about 2.50; i will contact my usual guy and see if there are any parts around without a 6-8 wk delay and let you know. those interested can contact me directly.

Harrrrr - my four current claws of death will defeat you, Dr Bass :lol:

See pics.

(Ordered about 5 ft of 6 awg wire from Connectivity Technologies, some Tycho housings and contacts for 6 AWG wiring from Mouser- Lord those things are huge).

http://store.cablecotech.com/

This might take a while.... :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2931.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,430
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,419
Deepkimchi said:
Harrrrr - my four current claws of death will defeat you, Dr Bass :lol:

See pics.

(Ordered about 5 ft of 6 awg wire from Connectivity Technologies, some Tycho housings and contacts for 6 AWG wiring from Mouser- Lord those things are huge).

http://store.cablecotech.com/

This might take a while.... :wink:

Great connectors!

I though about them cause the SB50 Anderson are very thight with 4 gauge wire.. and yours appear to be easy connect...

Doc

i just found out i can get the irfb4115pbf fets for $1.60 each in qty 200. i will take 50 if i can get people to commit to the rest. let me know asap. delivery is only 1 wk from my supplier, and of course these are new prime parts in IR tubes.

i am getting the 4110 for the same price in qty 100 so anybody who wants them we can put the order together.

At that price I'll take 20 of them.

You sure they have the proper markings? :roll:

Stimulating the economy, one buck at a time.

bobmcree said:
i just found out i can get the irfb4115pbf fets for $1.60 each in qty 200. i will take 50 if i can get people to commit to the rest. let me know asap. delivery is only 1 wk from my supplier, and of course these are new prime parts in IR tubes.

i am getting the 4110 for the same price in qty 100 so anybody who wants them we can put the order together.

Bob put me down for a batch or 2 + some spares, I guess when we have enough people interested i will decide on the final quantity.

thanks
-steveo

Almasi said:
I will take 20 IRFB4115 Let me know were to send the paypal payment once you get them.

Robin

Almasi, Are you preparing a ebike race setup? :idea: Montreal is close to Quebec :twisted:

Doc

Hey Everyone

I recieved the IRFB4115's very fast today.. I ordered them on the 2009/03/08 and they were at my doorstep this morning :mrgreen:

I used ups express expensive @ $50us .. but very happy with the time it took to get here .. and i didn't have to pay any additional brokage fee's from ups :shock: ...

I will post the first controller build once i have some time to mod a controller..

Ended up costing my 168$ canadian shipped

60$ of that was shipping est.

-steveo

unfortunately i could not get enough people to commit to get 200 pcs @ 1.60, but the 2.40 price steveo got from IR for lower qty is pretty good.

anyone replacing the TO220 package fets in an existing controller should realize that the on-resistance of the 4115 is 9.3 milliohms typ vs. 3.7 for the 4110, and they are in the same package, so there will be 9.3/3.7 times as much heat generated at the same current. Do you really want the extra voltage at that expense?

a MUCH better choice for a replacement, with a catch, is the IRFP4568. The catch is that it is in the larger TO-247 case. The catch is also a huge benefit. The 150v 4568 has an Rds-on of 4.8 milliohms, so only 30% higher than the 4110, and a miller charge of 55, compared with 43 for the 4110 and 26 for the 4115. The miller charge of the standard 3207 is 68 nC, so the current required to drive the 4568 is still less than the standard 3207 75v fets. The HUGE benefit comes from the larger package. It is much easier to get the heat from the die to the heat sink in the TO-247 package. The thermal conductivity from the fet junction to the case is 33% higher in the TO247 package, and the case to heat sink transfer efficiency is over TWICE as high for the TO-247 package.

The choice is obvious. You can drop in the 4115 and cut the controller current limit in half or add a lot of extra cooling, or you can mount the 4568 on an external heat sink, bus power to them with strips of brass from the hardware store and connect the gates to the pcb with 10 ohm resistors and probably run at higher than the original current. It all depends on which you are after.

the IRFP4568 is out of stock at digi-key but 4.79 in qty 100. i can get 100 in 2 wks for 3.74 if i can get a few other guys to take some. contact me privately, and maybe we will do better than we did on the 4115.

if i can get people to buy 7 shares at $50 each that gets them 12 fets and shipping in the us/canada to me and then to them. elsewhere it will be any additional postage, but no more. (i buy 1 share and i get the 4 extras to make up for putting it together.)

The 4110 are still the best choice for me and my experience with them!

-easy to install on an existing popular controller
-crazy low Rds on resistance!
-even though at 100A the controller dont blow and at 4kW continuous the controller stay at a secure temperature!
-their price

the 4110 for a controller are like Obama is for the US.. and world...
:lol:

Doc

Back