Correct CA Shunt calibration?

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Ok, I'm still learning how this works, and this is my first CA (OH MAN I LOVE IT!!) but I'm a bit out of league with the advance settings.

I just learned that in order for the CA to work properly, the shunt calibration has to match that of my current controller (Lyen 12 FET modder) to give accurate current values (this is the direct plug-in CA with external speed sensor) and that I most likely DO have the correct hall/phase wire combo, but the CA is limiting my current so I'm not getting full power since I haven't correctly calibrated it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just related to the shunt of my controller, or is it related to other factors, how do I test this or is it just a number I need to get from Ebikes.ca or Lyen?

Thanks! :)

Ok, I just got the info from Lyen, for the 12 FET modder, it's 2mohm! Thanks Lyen! *Maniacal Laughter Fills The House as I rush to the garage!* :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kingfish said:
I’m interested in figuring this out for myself. Related thread: Super low Ohm meter

This led me to eBay and I found this device: VC480C+ 3 1/2 multimeter Digital Milliohmmeter

Would this have enough quality to measure typical controller shunts? :)

Curiously, KF

I'd like to know that too, however, it's much cheaper to just ask Lyen what the values are, I wouldn't know, but it looks like a nice meter! :)

LI-ghtcycle said:
I'd like to know that too, however, it's much cheaper to just ask Lyen what the values are, I wouldn't know, but it looks like a nice meter! :)
Oh I quite agree :) It’s just that I want to craft/modify my own controller at some point and shall need use of a device that can accurately provide shunt measurement :wink:

Cheers! KF

To calibrate CA for an unknown shunt, or to fine-tune it, you can just GUESS the shunt value, then either calibrate the CA "on the bike" using an external DC energy meter (such as a Turnigy or WattsUp power analyzer), or calibrate it against a constant-current charger by running a known current through the shunt.

See my post here or methods' post here for more...

Back