I first want to tip my hat to the community for all the useful knowledge sharing available to new recruits like myself. I'm looking at using an electrified cargo bike as a car alternative for commuting, shopping and kid hauling. As I have recently gone back to college for an engineering degree (Green energy tech) I fully intend to immerse myself in the theory behind ebikes and understand as much as possible. I realize that many folks here are speed freaks, and I intend to join that club for subsequent projects. But for now, you might say my ebike focus lies in the realm of tractor pulling. I'd be grateful if you took a gander at the lists below and helped me plug any loopholes before I start my spending spree.
- Pedal assisted transport of cargo uphill up to 10% incline.
- Daily commute, mostly flat terrain with a single incline.
- Needed total range 15mi/25 km daily @ 650 lbs/300 kg.
- Mostly EU legal (pedelec*, top speed at about 25 kph).
- Increase battery capacity above bare minimum to preserve cell life. (reducing C-rate and DOD levels)
- Budget of $2000 give or take.
- Front wheel system preferred, if viable (smaller front wheel will provide better torque).
Theoretical point of departure
Playing with Justin's simulator has yielded this as a promising start:
Starting build list
- 1964 SCO Longjohn All-steel cargo bike, 85lbs, 16” front rim (20" wheel), 19" rear rim (23" wheel)
- Custom road case, weatherproofed. For components and cargo.
- BMC V2 Trq motor hub. (any high torque DD alternatives out there? )
- Monarch 16” moped rim, 12ga spokes, single cross pattern.
- 35-40A controller. (overbuilt to prevent headache)
- Upgrade brakes. Currently only has a coaster brake!
- Add disk brake to front wheel. Weld attachment points to front fork or replace fork with a disk friendly version.
- Add cantilever brake to rear wheel if possible. (moped rims)
- Cycle analyst + Cycle analogger.
- Embedded PV array + charger down the road. (ineffective, but fun)
- Either 48V 20Ah 4S1P LiFePO4. battery pack http://www.ev-power.eu/docs/GWL-LFP-Product-LP12V20AHB.pdf
- Or 48V 40Ah 4S1P LiFeYPO4. http://www.ev-power.eu/docs/GWL-LFP-Product-Spec-LP12V.pdf
- Other suggestions welcome.
- *Override button would be nice.
- Feather sensitive would help, magnet rearrangement might be in order.
- Half-grip throttle.
- Weld new bed. Ladder pattern to support road case superstructure. Cargo box acts as front fender.
Soo, Whaddaya think?