Meet the new Sheriff in flashlights

newb

100 W
i know a lot of you prefer magic shine & similar single purpose lights but i prefer a dual purpose light and i found one that's truly blindingly bright.

below you will find several comparisons of the 2 flashlights i have on hand at the moment. now the SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPE-R4 w/ 1 XPE-R4 & 1-18650 vs the TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 w/ 3 XML w/ 2-18650 is not much of a comparison, it's just a reference point.

Skyray - DX# 32749 - $21.14 - 7/2010 - no longer available on DX site
DX review often compared to the SSC-P7: http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.32749

sku_47352_1.jpg

Trustfire - FP# LFI40B - $41.59 on sale - 11/2011 - available here
lengthy and informative review: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/3700

btw, there is a 2 cell and 3 cell battery version, spend the extra few $, it gets u a higher voltage rated emitter and an extension tube. for more info read the linked review.

63681202201111071559051482237254507_006.jpg

[youtube]4WphboKnJPI[/youtube]

1.1.jpg

2.1.jpg

out side - ISO 400, Exposure 1/6 sec, Aperture 3.3
P1010880.JPG

SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPE-R4
P1010881.JPG

TRUSTFIRE TR-3T6 CREE XM-L T6
P1010883.JPG

garage appx 80' - ISO 80, Exposure 2.0 sec, Aperture 3.3
P1010896.JPG

SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPE-R4
P1010897.JPG

P1010898.JPG

garage appx 175' - ISO 400, Exposure 1/6 sec, Aperture 3.3
P1010884.JPG

SKYRAY S-R5 Cree XPE-R4
P1010886.JPG

P1010885.JPG

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

And I thought the 1400 Lumen Magic Shine was pretty good!

3800 Lumens?>!!?

I think that would probably get you ran over by the blinded car driver going the other way! :lol:

I also wonder how much power it draws?

Amazing light! Thanks for sharing! Gotta wear shades in this thread! 8)

amberwolf said:
That's not a flashlight, it's a PHOTON TORPEDO. :lol:

ROFLOL!!!! SOOOO TRUE!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LI-ghtcycle said:
3800 Lumens?>!!?

the actual lumen count is in the neighborhood of 1500-1700 from the reviews i read but that also depends on a direct reading or reflective (ceiling bounce). it seems most every quoted flashlight lumen count is drastically inflated.

LI-ghtcycle said:
I also wonder how much power it draws?

that depends on which version u have 2 or 3 cells. 2 cells closer to 3A, 3 cells closer to 2A. this is another reason to go for the 3 cell version, less amps = less heat & longer battery life. this does make it about a foot long so i will likely drill a hole and run wires in using only 1 extension making it only slightly longer than the skyray which is very manageable.

Good price on a triple LED light.

3 cells is about 11 volts times 2 amps times 90% regulator efficiency times 70 watts per lumen times 70% reflector and lens efficiency is 970 lumens out the front. Could be a bit more or less. Pretty bright flashlight. At 22 watts the head probably gets hot fast. It should work okay on 12VDC as well since the 3 battery pack is there hot off the charger.

Ratings on flashlights are usually very high, but some brands are more accurate than others.

:shock: verrryy naaiise!!

This is like 2-2.5 magicshines in one box. At the cost of 1 magicshine...
Actually has a decent beam spread as well..

Meanwhile, the guys with $$$ in the MTB community are still arguing over what >$400 dollar light with the same output as these is the best.. :lol:

Read it and laugh as these guys drop half their rent on a light and think they're getting a good deal:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-bike-lights-shootout

Nice. However, here in Switzerland, this amount of light will get you pulled over by the Swiss cops and get a hefty fine..... :twisted:

hjns said:
Nice. However, here in Switzerland, this amount of light will get you pulled over by the Swiss cops and get a hefty fine..... :twisted:

of that i have no dought, they do luv their fines!! when i lived in basel i used the skyrays and was fortunate to never have any troubles. but, i had been warned by some friends to be well behaved on the streets for that exact reason.

hjns said:

Why is that? Car headlights are brighter, and they have 2 or 4?

That would be a good comparison - put it next to a vehicle and do comparison beam shots. How does it compare to a vehicle?

What kind of battery life can you expect from this thing? It can't be that long?

Alan B said:

That would be a good comparison - put it next to a vehicle and do comparison beam shots. How does it compare to a vehicle?
Actually, motorped/motorcycle/ and car lights need to comply with EU regulations, even here in Switzerland.

That means that they must provide enough light to travel while at the same time not be blinding; For a certain area at a certain height to be flooded with light with a minimum amount of lux, while at the same time above a certein height not give a maximum amount of lux. I need to find the exact specifications, but I found it easier to just go and buy an E-11 certified lamp.

How it compares to a car? The CREE lights are much more blinding. Any car that blinds like these CREE LEDS will be pulled aside and be fined here.

18650's are around 2 amp hours, some a bit more. So approx one hour, if the light doesn't melt first.

If these Cree lights are more blinding than a car headlight, it is due to the beam pattern, not the light output. HID vehicle lights have significantly more output than this. Vehicle headlights have pattern shaping that LED lights lack. Too much spill is a problem there. Need to point the beam down and have a hi/low beam setup.

Ypedal said:
I have a DX 5 x LED with 3x18650 cells *( removable tubes ) damn thing sucks.. if you bump it it changes modes..
Yes, exactly! Mine have gone all flakey :x

I know it’s slightly OT, but has anyone bypassed the rear button switch and gone to straight hardwire? I don’t need all the modes: ON/OFF is good enough for me :)

Perturbed, KF

If we are talking who is the Daddy when it comes to torches check this one out!!

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/content.php?75-Olight-SR90-Intimidator-Review

I need one, or two!! but £300!!! :shock:

hjns said:
Alan B said:

Actually, motorped/motorcycle/ and car lights need to comply with EU regulations, even here in Switzerland.

That means that they must provide enough light to travel while at the same time not be blinding; For a certain area at a certain height to be flooded with light with a minimum amount of lux, while at the same time above a certein height not give a maximum amount of lux. I need to find the exact specifications, but I found it easier to just go and buy an E-11 certified lamp.

How it compares to a car? The CREE lights are much more blinding. Any car that blinds like these CREE LEDS will be pulled aside and be fined here.

the 'problem' with those torches is that they are rotation-symetric. that means it makes no difference if you turn the light around it's rotation axle. the flood always stays the same and is no capped at the up most part (like car/motorcycle headlights are designed).

but to be honest: MOST policemen would compliment you on being so wise to install at least ANY light and not fine you! even here in austria.

izeman said:
but to be honest: MOST policemen would compliment you on being so wise to install at least ANY light and not fine you! even here in austria.

I don't think I have to tell you that there is a slight culural difference between Swiss and Austrians.... sorry for getting offtopic.

Anyway, my big loss is in efficiency, as the EU-harmonized lamp is a 35w conventional lamp. I will still keep my CREEs to light the environment when nobody is coming towards me...

hjns said:
I don't think I have to tell you that there is a slight culural difference between Swiss and Austrians.... sorry for getting offtopic.

1) i don't think that policeman are all super nice guys any where around the world if they have a bad mood. most of the time they are ok.
2) if you are afraid of using some tiny torch maybe you shouldn't drive 45a on the road. especially not in switzerland. and don't exceed 50km/h or you WILL geht 'gebuesst' (swiss for "fined") *ggg*

and to make it all OT: you forget one more thing: ALL battery lamps are illegal where we live, as you have to use your DYNAMO to power the light.

so just let's have fun and ride safe. that should do it :) and as you said: just turn the light DOWN a bit and you shouldn't have any problems.

grüezi to switzerland,
and servus from austria

izeman said:
so just let's have fun and ride safe. that should do it :) and as you said: just turn the light DOWN a bit and you shouldn't have any problems.

grüezi to switzerland,
and servus from austria

Hmm, I tried, and I still get something like this:
P1010897.JPG

Or else the lamp is pointing at a 90 degree angle towards the ground..... :cry:

It looks like the new sheriff may need a nice lens to dim the excessive lights as not to blind the other road participants..

You could also add a hood over the end of the light to help redirect upward-bound light into downward-bound, whcih would also make it light up the road better, without having to be quite as bright.

If you have optics on the output end already, you can also insert differently-shaped shadow masks between the light source(s) and the optics to help do that without an external hood (like HID lights on cars do).

Back