parajared has a lipo fire

done that twice, both times were pre-packaged packs, single 6S bricks, dropped from about 4ft, fully charged, mad dash for the side door and waited... but nothing... put them in the back yard stainless steel bunker and after months of sitting, the dented cells went to 0v, but no smoke no fire.

did you get fire ? . .. or just a whole lot of smoke ?

Daaaaaaaaam, I can't count how often I've dropped my soft side LiPo packs, and never a problem. Better stop doing that huh.

Dropped my zippy packs off about a 3 foot table onto some asphalt. Freaked out but nothing happened. Those cells got out of balance pretty frequently until after one specific ride they just went terribly out of balance. Retired them then and there.

Dropped my packs once or twice, this hasn't happened yet. Luckily it was from a very short distance.

Sorry to hear 'bout your loss though. Glad it wasn't worse.

I had some dropped packs in my stash, working fine for a few more cycles, but always waiting for the flames because they stank. In my case, the drop was just enough to rupture the foil, letting out solvent. But not a crush sufficient to short the pack.

Clearly your's shorted internally, which will generally go off.

I keep saying and saying, as do others. Wrap that shit in something. My choice has been the coroplast political signs. There is some cushioning yoga mat in the bottom of that box too.

My new pack I just bought. 48v 14s 10ah lipo.jpg

Makes me start thinking about making two boxes, one for each 5 ah section. With a metal plate between each section. Once the tape melts, poke with a stick to save half of it.

ALWAYS able to easily get it off the bike.

Speaking of damaged packs. Hope this isn't too off topic. Where do you all dispose of old puffed packs? Interstate battery maybe?
I have 3 that are really puffed. Only one is totally dead . The others actually have decent voltage but I don't want to store them in a metal bucket forever :)

Buy a 24V tail-light from an auto parts store (cheap), and solder leads with alligator clips to the neg/pos...use that to discharge 6S packs (or any lower voltage). When they are completely dead, they are safe to take to a recycler.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp_Q_promoid_E_118_A_intProductID_E_42509?gclid=CIDwsa7FsbcCFUxp7AodYWwAfQ

If you want to duct tape them, at least should you use a rigid board around before taping them together.
One layer of "No Parking" road sign makes them crash proof :mrgreen:

I wrap mine in coroplast sign material too. I just found a little metal lunch box which they fit in perfectly too. Two layers of protection is good.

Maybe batteries should be kept wrapped in foam at all times or something similar, I am not saying I've practiced this, but I am pretty much a newbie in the ebike world and have yet to drop a battery pack myself.

My personal opinion, that coroplast stuff is not rigid enough, hard plastic/lexan/pvc/g10/etc.. i even put double sided tape between each pack and the plastic deviders, then filament tape.. then electrical tape ...

When i dropped mine they fell on the bottom corner, and that was just one pack, if there was the weight of 3 more behind it i'm sure it would have ignited..

this sucks sorry to see that
good thing it didn't happen indoors or some place where it could have caused real damage

Yep, that's why the coroplast gets put in the metal box on the bike.

No, a big drop is still going to rupture the foil and cause problems. The box on the bike won't help if you fumble it carrying it to a charger or storage bunker. Reminds me, I need to finish the job. Usually I add a strap handle to the coroplast box so you don't fumble it so easy.

If it lands on the corner, it will have to be in a very rigid container. But the coroplast is at least going to help a lot more than duct tape. Easy to see why that failed. I have dropped some coroplast packs with no damage. But more of a flat on the side landing.

99% of the function of the coroplast, is to prevent chafing on a bag or box that you are carrying it in. But it helps some in a drop too.

Bottom line though, duct tape don't cut it.

I think it's telling that no commercial outfit is repackaging these things with good physical protection and comprehensive BMS. They're not even safe enough for someone to try to make a business of that.

Is it just hokey Chinese low-budget quality control, or is it intrinsic to the chemistry that these things are so treacherous?

they are made for RC toys, and competition where every gram counts and performance is the ultimate goal... HK lipo is the low cost option that most of us opt for but we are a small niche of diy crazy people so there are no production line ebike high C rate packs marketable to the general public.

The average ebiker does not need 100's of amps or care about a few extra grams... we are the 1%

Is it just hokey Chinese low-budget quality control, or is it intrinsic to the chemistry that these things are so treacherous?
That had better be rhetorical. The chemistry (lithium cobalt) is being used in billion (not a typo) cells yearly. Laptops, cell phones, GPSes, Ipods, Ipads.... Practically all consumer lithium batteries.

Quality control is not good.
The gram cutting is also something done by design - many safety features are not installed in the batteries, which would be found in commercial batteries due to liability..

That's how you get 150whr/kg and such high power output.

I made my lipo box of carbon fiber bought from hobby king.
I have it in my backpack and it got a lot of beating but are still as new

Good idea.

And uh, WE KNOW these batteries can catch fire. And frankly my dear, we don't give a damn. 1% ers. We just do what we can to use this stuff safe.

Joppo said:
I made my lipo box of carbon fiber bought from hobby king.
I have it in my backpack and it got a lot of beating but are still as new
Just don't fall over backwards! a front baby carrier might be safer? Carbon can shard and is conductive. Just sayin'
otherDoc

Back