Anyone have any experience with Volton?

spisska

10 W
I'm a newb, but am convinced that e-bikes are a potential revolution in urban transport.

Since I don't have a car and my LeMond doesn't really allow much in the way of cargo or getting to a place on time in a presentable state, I've been looking into e-bikes.

A bike (e- or otherwise won't help my current commute -- I live in the Chicago but work in the far suburbs. I'm desperate for a new job, and the Loop would be about six miles each way. An e-bike would be ideal.

As it happens, in my research, I found http://www.voltonbicycles.com/.

This one in particular, I think is a fantastic design: http://www.voltonbicycles.com/boulevard-dlx/

Yes, I realize that you very clever people could build something similar for half the price, and bless you for that. The reason why I'm interested is that the guy who makes them lives about two miles from me.

I've already contacted them to make an appointment -- they don't seem to sell except online. Just wondering what experiences people have in this group with this company.

I would prefer to buy local, and a local manufacturer is way more than a local dealer.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I assure you, I'm not Mr Volton, have nothing to do with them, and had never even heard of them before Friday.

I just think they make a really nice looking bike, and it's just the thing I'm looking for. I know they're based in Chicago, so I'm hoping to get myself an invitation to their workshop. I also like the idea that if anything breaks, I can pedal the thing to the company owner's house and knock on his door. (I don't actually know his address, but an article in Crain's mentioned he lives in a neighborhood a stone's throw from mine.)

The only thing that gives me pause is that there doesn't seem to be any outlet or showroom, nor any dealerships. In other words, nowhere to actually *see* a bike before you plonk down a couple grand on it. And I've only found a couple of reviews of their bikes at all -- the one here being by far the most useful.

I said earlier I was a newb at all this, and strictly speaking, with regards to the technical bits, that's true. But I've been thinking of about e-bikes for years. It's a no-brainer, really. I saw some statistic on Thursday about ebike sales in Scandinavia, so I thought it might be a good idea to look into where the technology is at.

I've been gobsmacked to say the least. The amount of brilliant engineering and design that's going into these bikes is just staggering. And they're rapidly approaching a performance-cost point where it would be silly *not* to have one, especially in a big city. I don't have a car but have been debating getting one for the winter. If one of these bikes works out, I won't need a car, and that's how I'd prefer it.

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to see if anyone had any personal dealings with this company. Information about them is sparse.

I think it's essential to try it out before you buy - preferably having experienced other bikes. If it turns out to be "difficult" to get a test ride on a Volton, then........

Kits added to an existing bicycle are the most cost-effective, as you have mentioned. However, there is nothing wrong with a consumer paying a little extra to purchase a "turn-key" E-bike.

These bikes are imported from China complete. They come in a case, and the new owner has only to attach the wheels to the frame, adjust the brakes, and plug in the electric components after charging up the battery.

If you would like to address any repair concerns to your neighbor, I'm afraid you will be severely disappointed. This business model if formed this way specifically to avoid addressing consumer concerns. If you want a turn-key E-bike with great customer support...I am afraid that a turn-key E-bike with great local customer support will cost much more than the Volton.

There's nothing wrong with a consumer calculating that a Volton might be an appropriate vehicle for his application, but part of the calculus MUST include a certain amount of "handy-ness" as it pertains to troubleshooting and minor repairs. If you do not have a $10 digital Voltmeter, a basic tool set, a soldering iron, and the knowledge to use them...any minor issues that arise will quickly turn into an exercise in frustration.

The motor used is the well-known Bafang-BPM, and it seems to work well-enough. I recommend the 48V controller if they have that option (some importers can vary the spec from the standard factory offerings), but...the limited size of the stock battery housing means any increase in the system voltage must be balanced by a reduction in the Amp-hour size (Ah).

If you buy one and are happy with it, eventually the battery will wear out. When it is time for a replacement I would recommend a Lyen 12-FET controller coupled with a plug-in CycleAnalyst, using a 48V battery pack (perhaps a cell_man triangle pack?).

You mention a short commute, and that is greatly to your benefit, because that provides you with many options. What is your budget? and are there any hills on the commute? ES could use some owner pics of Volton details, and more info about real-world benefits/drawbacks. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.electricbike.com/volton/

I'm in Chicago, north side, so I'd have to go quite some distance to find a hill. I think I mentioned earlier that I also ride a LeMond, which is a fantastic bike for cruising the lakefront, but entirely impractical for getting groceries in the rain.

My total budget is $1,500 - $2,000, though I could probably be persuaded up a bit.

As a use-case, I'd be running short errands. I'm about 6 miles from the Loop, and I rarely need to go farther than that (and if I do, it's the el). I'm also planning to add cargo capacity and/or a trailer mount. It's one of the things I like about their design -- they keep the weight low and in the middle. I can't imagine carrying a gallon of milk and a 12-pack of beer on top of the battery, on top of the back-wheel motor the way some bikes are configured.

If Volton's business model is as you describe, I'm not as interested. The only physical address I've been able to find for them is condo in the South Loop. They mentioned in the email that they had a workshop in the northern suburbs, but that doesn't mean much either.

I'm not afraid of tinkering with either electrical or mechanical parts. But it's worth it for me to pay a bit more for something that's ready to go than to try assembling something myself. At least that's what I think right now. I may just have a look at some frames and some conversion kits and change my mind.

If I do, in fact, get in to see them and ride and/or buy a bike, I'll be sure to report back.

Thank for all the helpful information.

spisska said:
Just wondering what experiences people have in this group with this company.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php
type in "volton".... ;)

Personally, my experience with Volton has been good so far. I recently bought an Alation 500 a few weeks ago, and it's quite a nice bike.

I've had two problems with it - both were manufacturing issues - a front wheel with a couple of pairs of spokes that did not cross correctly, and a sticky button on the on-bar controller.

In both cases Joe at Volton was quick to respond and correct the issue. He paid for a local shop to rebuild the wheel, and shipped me a new handlebar controller/button, with return postage paid for the intermittent one.

I'm happy with the bike, and it performs better than I expected. It has had a few updates since the online reviews were written: better fenders, newer controller with 5 levels, different charger, silicone rim around battery compartment, easier battery removal, and, it is available in White. I've tinkered with handlebar layout, moved the display to the center, and replaced grips, pedals, tires (Schwalbe Big Apple), stem, and seat, but nothing unexpected, just the stuff you do to any new bike.

I might buy a new battery in a year or so, to have a spare, but assuming it holds together, this bike will keep me happy until the technology matures for another couple of years. Long term, I want mid direct-drive, torque sensing plus throttle, longer range, and lighter weight, but this will do for now.

Back