[done] E Onda boards made in the alps

the alps - near italy, france, switzerland
Hello,

Here are some pics of a completed project, so far I could only retrieve pictures of assembly tests

Was originalyy intended as a 2wd : 2x120A ESC, 2x5Ah 6S, 2x180kV, but ended up satisafying as 1wd (6.4kgs) :wink:
Finalized project pictures to follow soon

Any comments welcome :D

Yeah awesome! :)

I would also like to know about the feel of the wheel ;)
Also the steering in terms of turning radius and high speed stability?

The funny thing, it's the easiest motor hanger i've ever seen. Onda has pretty damn good design...

That's an ONDA Vibe, if i'm not mistaken...
http://shop.ondamotion.com/onda-vibe/

I've seen the tread on Silverfish, with 4 pages of Onda-bashing.
Personally, I'm not the longboarding-design-snob, judging from the function, those boards are perfect, especially for our purpose (look at those motor-hangers).

I also like their video when the boards get ridden over with the SUV - not a scratch!

never read that silverfish thread,
its not about being a design snob,
it all about function.

seen their videos before,
the plastic deck twisting and flexing when riding.
its not what you want in a longboard deck.

the trucks look like a bad design also...

the wheels are more interesting for our purpose, (that's why i mentioned them before)

The motor mounts look questionable IMHO. I tried using metal plate on my first EMT build. They would flex like crazy and throw the chain off. Those motors put out around 3hp each. Would you ever mount a gas motor with such flimsy material? I would at least double up the thickness of metal. Any videos of it working?
After seeing a link to the Onda I was tempted to try one out. They do look interesting.

I like the pricing, but the flexing would be a major concern. Are the trucks made of polymer as well, sounds likely from the last post. That would be a major deal breaker.

Just finished watching the vids, I like the bigger wheels, very much like how my xooter wheels are designed. I would go with the aluminum ones. The deck is very flexible, this seems to be part of the design. Providing shock absorption. Adding a brace would be possible to prevent motor and chain issues. Do you have enough clearance when turning. Looking forward to your results. Might be worth trying out for the price. I see some modification ahead.

keep in mind that this has always been wanted to be a cheap build, for poorly tooled guy :wink:

@ stuntmanmike, Murfix, Sk8Norkal and Texonite
The wheels :
- they have a bigger inertia than smaller ones, u might feel it when u push the board, above all, it gives a great rolling dynamic
- they are tolerant to uneven surfaces compared to smaller wheel.
- they offer u the option to have a higher reduction ratio (6:1 here)
Yes, that's an onda vibe, it came with different hardness "torsion shoks" to fix to the truck,
you can trade off high speed stability with low speed maniability with those pieces.
(It's all about trade off between those 2 preferences IMO - actually using 4 red ones torsion shoks, which is still a bit "low speed maniability" oriented for a 90kg guy like me)

torsionshockreference-3.gif

auto_image.php4

Yes, the deck is flexy and I love it (comfy and feels like riding a snowboard)
I won't take position regarding how the onda board is seen by longboarders, Let's "just" say it's different,
The power train is 12s capable but runs on 6s, (because my e-scooter is 12s) it's maybe a reason why it is running so cold
(That's the best surprise of this build : does not overheat, and I did not target speeds higher than 30kph, I needed torque above all)
U can see below that ESC, and receiver have been hidden in a little kitchen box, the battery is held to the deck by velcros :
The cover has been cutted to let the heat sink protrubing outside
it's OK but I guess I will fold some aluminium plate once to make a better integrated design
(the receiver is powered up with a 1s Lipo :wink: )

The motor hanger is made of steel, very easy to do and works well without chain issue

http://fun4u-sports.de/168-Onda_Boards

i see from the above link that those wheels are new wider versions.

Hey, as long as ur happy with your board, that's cool with me.

I was just offering my advice as an long time longboarder, cause there is a difference in terms of board quality out there.
and sometimes you can't appreciate the difference unless you have more experience under ur belt and know what things to look for.
As many new eboarders dont have any longboard experience at all.

btw, this Ondaboard idea is not new. I have ridden something similar before, a RollsRolls with these big scooter wheels.
deck is carbon fiber/ very pricey.

so, if u got time, put up a video on utube.
would like to see it in action...

kfong,
yes, the truck is polymer.
they actually got a wood deck with aluminum trucks on their site.

sk8norcal said:
As many new eboarders dont have any longboard experience at all.

Thxs Sk8Norkal: I am one of those,
I just love sports where u need speed to have balance and this thingy does the job.
kfong, forgot to answer u but sk8norkal did, since the truck is made of polymer, I made nightmares of drilling it before I went for a clamped motor mount (actually the rectangular shape of those truck was a deciding criteria to go for this onda board as a project base)

Note that the motor can be placed very near to the deck because it ends right above the truck rotation point, so risk of rubbing one to the other is marginal

Call me stubborn, but my opinion is still: if you use bigger wheels, use air inflated ones!
I think for non-experienced riders, maybe the flexy deck helps absorbing the high speed riding vibrations.

I think the color coded dampers are a great idea!

Murfix said:
I think for non-experienced riders, maybe the flexy deck helps absorbing the high speed riding vibrations.
!

overly flexy decks is not good for high speed due to control issues. (vague steering response)
so u definitely dont want to have beginners go fast on a flexy board.

flexy decks helps absorb road vibrations at low speed (good for experienced or inexperienced riders alike)

sk8norcal said:
Murfix said:
!

overly flexy decks is not good for high speed due to control issues. (vague steering response)
so u definitely dont want to have beginners go fast on a flexy board.

flexy decks helps absorb road vibrations at low speed (good for experienced or inexperienced riders alike)

... sounds reasonable. You definitely want to be able to predict the steering behavior of the board so this connection (board to truck to axle) should be pretty stiff.

Murfix said:
Call me stubborn, but my opinion is still: if you use bigger wheels, use air inflated ones!
my scooter experience with inflated wheels are shear stresses which end up systematically to punctures around the valve :
air tube damage beyond repair.

by the way, how high is "high speed" in the e skate world ? 60kph?

I'd say anything above 30km/h is high while most don't exceed 40km/h in regular use. Just my 2cents..

Hmm on a scooter wheel, shear stresses are doubled vs a mtb (for the same G-forces) because of the number of wheels. I guess the tube would be rubbing the rim which causes punctures? I would think this could be solved easily by placing a rubber protection ring around the tube in the danger zone? What do you think?

above 30kph ? good to know, maybe I should plug my 2nd 6s LiPo in serie to have a 12s run once
and be able to tell u what happens at "high speed" :lol:
I'd say you must be right regarding number of wheels and shear stresses,
in addition, the inflated tyres I blew up on my scooter have not a favorable width to heigh ratio,
the valve gives a hard(fix) point when it deforms, so I would see more hope with some "low profile" inflated wheels rather than a "protection rim"...
anyway, good point, might get some "off road" capabilities of this board if I mount inflated tyres :twisted:

we are getting snow here, so I can't promise a youtube vid' yet

Here is a pic showing the overall weight as 6.4kg :mrgreen: :

From the vids it looks stable at the speeds I plan on. I really don't want to go faster than 25mph, stopping on a skateboard is hard enough. I use to skate a lot as a kid and enjoyed going to skate parks. Skating no longer has the appeal it once had, but an electric long board for just getting around is calling to me. I'm very tempted to get this.

I'm still planning on a traditional long board, but this is different enough to look fun, and the cost has a lot to do with it. I have a mountain board, but that is big and heavy. I should convert that on day as well, but for now it's my dedicated ice board. I did convert a 3 wheel mountain board, road it briefly enough to know it wasn't something I wanted. Too high of a ride to feel stable, maybe putting staps on it might make it more interesting. In anycase, both were deemed too bulky for getting around.

Having a light longboard, also had me tuned into this design. Keep us updated with the ride and handling.

On the hanger:
I've had an impression they have a steel rod running through the whole length.

The Outback, is a really big board. It's more stable than it looks due to its size. Just too bulky to use as a transport. I use to use it for land sailing on parking lots. I would have my windsurf sails mounted with a universal. It was fun, but lost interest. Wipeouts on concrete isn't fun. If I was into riding dirt trails, it would be a contender to the traditional mountain board due to it's larger wheels. I really have to take it into the woods one day.

The mountain board is an old MBS composite Blade, nolonger produced. Really well made, since it's held up well in wet conditions. It has custom 1/4" thick stainless steel blades I had made. I have a universal mounted to the front, and use my windsurfing sails. Been clocked over 35mp don't remember the top speed, but could keep up with the big 2 man iceboats, crashing on ice is much easier. You just slide, I'm covered in hockey gear. It's a lot of fun. I've actually experience high speed wobbles on this setup. Unfortunately, good ice conditions are rare. It doesn't get used much :(

sk8norcal said:
ice board? like its got ice blades for wheels?
(hmmm... a 3 wheel e-mtboard with 2 blades in front and a spiked tire rear hub would be interesting..)

that 3 wheel outback is just a bad design as u figured out,
way too high...

Texonite said:
On the hanger:
I've had an impression they have a steel rod running through the whole length.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but in case : the truck is held by a long screw going through the deck
(The nut at the bottom is made in a way that u can tighten it by hand, visible here in the middle of the truck)
feel free to clarify :wink:
220.jpg

kfong said:
Wipeouts on concrete isn't fun. [...] crashing on ice is much easier.

I agree :lol:

Back