my 48V Diggler Electric

machmike

1 mW
Some Pictures I took today

had to remove pictures due to someone using them without my permission. Hopefully this starts the process of breaking links.

Mike,

Cool scooter. I've been thinking about building an electric scooter and have a couple of questions. How important do you think rear suspension is with less than perfect roads, or can you go hardtail and use your legs as suspension for small bumps at speed?

I'd want to use mine to zip the kids to school, so I'd go with a longer wheelbase to permit a bigger platform. Have you ever hauled a small passenger on yours? Any concerns about a 5yr old falling off?

How fast is yours, and what's it like at full speed + like down a hill? Mine would be 40mph+ capable like my bikes, though I'd keep at only 20-25mph with a passenger.

Thx,

John

John,

I have an older 36v Version which has knobby tires which really dampen the bumps on the street. It is a very smooth ride in comparison to this pure street version. I would definitely stay with a hard-tail.
Because of the way you ride this scooter in particular I wouldn't recommend any passengers, That seems like an accident waiting to happen (kind of like a motorcycle passenger who is afraid to lean with the bike).

You would definitely need a longer platform to accommodate another person, and more juice as well you scooter weight would probably jump up another 35 lbs or so.

This particular scooter weighs about 96 lbs. With the 5303 it goes around 36 MPH with 48v I get around 20 miles per charge if I don't kick at all.
My 36V goes around 18 mph and weighs around 50 lbs.

Mike

96lbs ouch, that seems a bit overbuilt. My 50mph bike with a 50 mile battery pack only weighs 115lbs. Thanks for the point regarding a passenger. If I build one, I'll restrict it only to groceries as my stationary passenger.

John

Awwwwww... somebuddy *loves* their scooter (hehe)... So, does it have a name yet?

John in CR said:
...I'll restrict it only to groceries as my stationary passenger.

Too bad. It's quite a bit of fun if ya have a passenger that likes cuddling.
tks
Lock

Lock said:
Too bad. It's quite a bit of fun if ya have a passenger that likes cuddling.
tks
Lock

True, but I've got enough problems with my wife fighting the lean on my bike, so she'd surely cause a wipeout as a passenger on a kick scooter. Anyway, 2 wheel cuddling is best on a chopper with the proper seat alignment to enable good use of a nice pair of "headrests" or back massagers. :D

John

Hey! It's great to see another Diggler on here! I ended up putting mine together right when the company started selling electrified versions. Mine uses the FS model for the base. Currently I'm running mine with 72V 16AH lithium batteries (four 36V 8.2AH packs) on a 5305 (got some major hills where I live). Back when I was running mine at 48V (lithium) with a 5303 I was getting the same speed as your. Now with the 72v/5305, I top out at 25mph - but I can keep a steady 20mph up the steepest hills.

I absolutely love mine. I see they've made a few changes: namely the extra long stem and the wider deck - good call on their part. Mine came with a 6" wide deck, so I ended up having a wider one CNCed out of a thick plate of aluminum. I've gotten a stem riser, but need to get a longer front brake cable before I make the switch.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

John in CR -

You could probably use something like a Wike trailer to haul small children around - Though you'd probably want a 5304 or 5305 motor for the extra torque.

http://www.wicycle.com/child_premium_double_bicycle_trailer.php

Thanks Michael,

I've thought about building a trailer for the kids and extreme grocery loads, but I just wouldn't feel safe with the kids back there without having to slow way down, which to me is a big safety issue. I just don't feel comfortable at all if I'm not matching traffic speeds, that is, except when I'm the one doing the passing. :lol: Being exposed to fewer vehicles is what makes biking safer per mile than walking, and why I believe I'm much safer on the road than typical e-bikers who travel at half my speed. The higher speeds do require far better braking, far more looking ahead to anticipate the moves of idiots behind the wheels of cars, and a stronger platform than just a kit bolted on a store bought bike.

I really like the idea of a powerful electric kick scooter, because I like the ability to use my legs to absorb some of the bumps and the rider's ability to move the overall CG of the vehicle by so much in all directions has to result in a completely different level of control.

John

Back