Philistine's Yuba Mundo Station Wagon

Philistine

100 kW
So I had been running two (at least working) builds, one a Greyborg, with 20S@40amps, and a Commuter bike (Giant) with 10S@40amps, and when I wanted to move my two older kids (4 and 2) around I was using a two child trailer. I was never that comfortable with the trailer, both due to handling, and just the feeling of having my two precious bundles hanging off the end in that way, I would pretty much restrict myself to bike paths, which made life difficult. Also, it was in the end towing the two kids in the trailer, with the Greyborg that cooked my 8x8 9C.

So although the Greyborg was the equivalent of my sports car, I needed something that would be like a family station wagon.

I chose the Yuba Mundo.

YubaTight2.jpg

YubaTight1.jpg

Specs on the build are:

Motor: X5304 (non-disc) - all I could get in the X5 range at the time
Batts: 13S Turnigy Lipo 20ah (soon to be 40ah)
Controller: Lyen 12 Fet
Battery housing: 50 Cal. Ammo boxes (total credit on this goes to ES member Kiwi - I patently stole the idea from his builds)
Torque arms: Again, Kiwi
Brakes: Shimano discs on front (non-standard, added by me) - Ebrake on rear
Kids seats: "Peanut Shell" seats, each seat rated for up to 5 year olds/22kg.

Kiwi generously gave me his V3 torque arms, which on the V4 (which this frame is) are too short. Being too short means the torque arms starts to rotate. But Kiwi has been hard at work, and he is about to make available V4 torque arms (the V4 frame only being recently released in Aus and NZ) - these will be a perfect fit for the V4 frame. Anyone with a V4 Yuba Mundo should be PMing Kiwi to get hold of his new flash torque arms. He has designed them as a triangle against the frame line, so they work both forward and in regen mode. Kiwi is a legend, and I can't say enough good things about dealing with the guy - typical of those Kiwis - every bone in your Aussie body wants to make disparraging comments about them and their proclivity for sheep, but their ingenuity and talent means you have to settle for stealing all their great ideas, and claiming all the talent they produced as your country's own (Russell Crowe - Crowded House, INXS - Split Ends.... They're all Aussies by the way, I swear to god).

I patently stole Kiwi's idea with the Ammo boxes, and they work a treat. I have bolted them against the frame, and used old tyre tubes to give cushioning between the boxes and the frames.

I will tell a very funny story on another thread, about why Ammo Boxes are the perfect housing for lipo batteries (but that is another whole thread in itself).

I now intend to put on another two sets of 50 cal ammo boxes behind the two I have, to have 40 AH of Lipo. I will then be able to almost completely cover my city (obviously not end to end, but around the places I would ever want to go) without charging. The kids love it. They scream with joy when Daddy says we get to go out on the bike. This thing is a life changer. I am extremely happy with the handling. Probably my only issues are the handle bars and the rigid forks (but I am hesitant about how sus forks might effect handling? Curious on other Yuba owners thoughts/experiences on this?). The V4 Frame (from what I have seen in photos) compared to the V3 frame certainly seems Chinafied, but the rigidity and cheapness (I paid $1,280 Aus delivered, nearly fully built) is astounding.

The other issue I would note is the insane crash safety of the Peanut Shell kids seats I have on there. A few weeks ago I was taking my two year old to a park. Near this park for some insane reason, the council has inserted a 3 inch high steel belt that edges the bike path. It was wet that day, and being only 3 inches high, I didn't see it. As I hit at a slight angle, being wet, and with Maxis Hookworms on, my wheel did an effective rail slide, and the front just went straight down like a rock. I had my two year old daughter only on the back right behind me. We hit the deck hard at maybe 20kph. My beautiful girl was completely protected by the side protection of the peanut shell seats. She didn't even have a scratch. Obviously she was shook up and in shock, but I had a busted elbow, scabs all over my ankle, elbow and hand. I was in shock at first because of the thought of hurting my daughter, but she didn't even touch any part of the ground at all (the cargo side bars and ammo cases helped with this as well). Obviously I never want to be in that situation again, but I was so relieved and impressed by the protective nature of the bike and the peanut shells.

If you are looking for the station wagon of Ebikes. This is your bad boy.

Outstanding Phil!

Adding a Thudbuster seat is easy enough for anyone to do (~$120-ish). Another option is lacing your rear hub to a 20-inch wheel, and then adding a super-fat Moped tire (It eliminates the use of rear rim-brakes, are there rear disc mounts on the newest Mundo?)

The only question I had left about the Mundo is about the head tube and what forks can be swapped in? Will it take 1-1/8 inch forks? They seem to be the middle ground between affordability and wide selection of suspension forks.

What a beautiful cargo bike! I purchased '11 Yuba Mundo last saturday and I love it being haul the cargo included my girlfriend's 2 girls. I am waiting for the mid-drive system kit available and going run at 48v 40Ah.

YubaBikeOnJeep.png

spinningmagnets said:
are there rear disc mounts on the newest Mundo?

I can answer your question, Yes- It does have front and rear disc caliper mounts on my '11 Mundo.

Yep, as Chroot says, has disc mounts for both front and rear (for the V4). I would have got a disc 5304 if I could have. But the ebrake works amazingly well, just waiting on Kiwi's V4 torque arms to hold the wheel in place properly for the ebrake. You really need good torque arms like Kiwis on the Yuba, as the drop outs are so wide (to accomodate big axle wheels), the dropouts don't touch the widest sides of a 14mm X5 axle.

The Thudbuster is a good idea Spinning magnets. It is only until you get back onto a purely rigid frame bike that you notice all the bumps. I have dropped the PSI in the hookworms and that has helped a bit.

I bought the Thudbuster when the wife wasn't looking, so far she hasn't googled the price and I'm sure she just assumes it's about the same price as any other. I hate to sound like a wimp, but you don't know her.

We met at a mechanics shop when she was running from interpol, she was getting a hydraulic valve fixed so she could fly some black-market rocket-launchers from Bangkok to Kowloon for the Shanghai Tong. Her DC-3 (It had to have at least 12 coats of paint on it from trading hands) had been upgraded to turboprops and she had added FLIR so she could fly below the radar at night...oh, I'm sorry...getting too OT here. Its just that a friend mailed me some khat to chew on and it brought back so many memories...

I'm sure the stock forks are stout, but it would be reassuring to know if they could be easily swapped in with 1-1/8 inch DH forks. Lots of affordable new and used choices then.

Nice build. Looks like a nice strong work horse of a bike. Its always a challange when you have to build a bike to carry a child and building for two is a big challange.The big 5304 is great for lugging around extra weight without a fuss.

My daughter now 4 1/2 and has been riding with me on my e bikes from 6 months old. So I understand what your getting at with the child trailers. I am 50/50 on what is best. It always felt better with her just behind me on a long wheel base and very stable bike. Yet when you think about it when you come off a bike the seat has to provide very good side protection as your child is attached to the bike going along with it in a crash.

I had one accident with her on the bike when she was 2 years old . happened at about 25kmh. I was rolling down the hill near our house and looked down to check the safety catch on her seat .Then BANG!!!! I must have moved the handle bar a little as I looked down and run into the back of a parked car.Sounds crazy but i guess some times things just happen. Broke my front fork and my hand went forward and snapped off the brake lever. Her child seat flexed forward enough to brake my seat off. She had a cut gum from where she knocked it on her seat hand rail.

I ended up with e recumbent trike this year so have to use a child trailer. I like the cage like safety of it with the steel tube roll-over protection and 5 point seat belt.I have actually rolled my trike on the grass in our local park and my daughter was still in the trailer laughing at me. I also like the way its only 4" off the ground. Yet I am with you on the hanging out the back and that very nervy feeling you get if you had to ride in traffic. A driver just has to not look or think for a second and things could be very ugly. I am lucky our town has a huge bike path network and I can keep it safe.

Kurt

I hate to sound like a wimp, but you don't know her

I always quote Homer Simpson "Honestly Marge, I wouldn't have done it if I had known you would find out!", that is standard operating procedure for me. I don't have the excuse of my wife being a gun runner, she is just a ball breaker - old school.

We met at a mechanics shop when she was running from interpol, she was getting a hydraulic valve fixed so she could fly some black-market rocket-launchers from Bangkok to Kowloon for the Shanghai Tong

Was this before or after your run-in with the midget Ninja?

How do I know if the headset can take 1-1/8 inch forks? Is that just by measuring the length of the headset?

Never had Khat, but have always wanted to try methcathinone. I presume you developed your taste for Khat during your stint as a mercenary fighting on the borders of Somaliland?

I agree with all you say Kurt about trailers and safety (in terms of impact). I have little doubt that the kids would be safer in the event of a crash in a trailer (as in if I crash due to my error, like I did with the park accident I mentioned), but I wasn't even willing to take the trailer off anything other than pure bike paths. The crash safety of the child seats is quite stunning, as I said, I was really banged up (am still covered in scabs and bruises), but apart from shock my daughter was totally unscathed. Having said that I agree if a car takes us out it would be a different story.

But the kids love being up with the view compared to the trailer. Reminds me of how I felt as a kid when my dad used to take me out on his motorbike - some of my fondest memories as a kid.

My kids EV grins put mine to shame. The first ride they whooped "WOO HOO" the whole way. The next day as I took my four year old to pre-school, I whooped on the way out the drive way and turned back to him for his reaction, and he just said to me (in his mother's tone) "You just watch where you are going". Classic.

I can answer the Headset size. Here the spec: Headset 1 1/8" Steel fork.

Complete spec list: http://yubaride.com/Pdfs/mundospecs2011.pdf

Before, I bought the Mundo cargo bike, and I used be tow the "Tag-Along" kid bike. Believe me, It is not safe as combine with the electric powered bike as due 2 piece my ebike and a tow trailer got accident as really difficult control. Now, After I got a Mundo and BIG DIFFERENCE I can able control helluva easy.

I strong suggest stay away any 2 piece style (ebike and tow kid trailer) and stick with ONE piece bike like Mundo. I mean safety is most important issue.

I presume you developed your taste for Khat during your stint as a mercenary fighting on the borders of Somaliland?

Good guess, but It was while I was being held hostage by a Somali pirate who'd gotten a job working in Nigeria through a temp pirating agency. After that commando raid on Somali pirates a while back, the pay just wasn't as good back home. Funny thing was, he never really wanted to be a pirate in the first place, but, you know, his dad was a pirate, and his grandfather was a pirate...

Here's the only pic I have of Bob, with his pet hyena. Of course "Bob" isn't his real name, but I couldn't pronounce the real one if I tried. Bob appreciated that I didn't hold it against him that his bosses had kidnapped me. After all, it was just his job, you know? Funny where you might make friends, eh? The Somali kids today might be happy with that new store-bought Khat-in-a-can, but theres nothing quite like fresh made Khat, just like mum used to make back at the base camp.

I'm very happy to hear about the Mundo having 1-1/8 inch forks. The vertical steer-tube comes extra long and the buyer just trims them to fit the head-tube he has.

hyenapetafrica.jpg

@sinningmagnets- Are you serious as mercenary fighter as you are? If so, I am surprised and I never thought meet someone who is a mercenary soldier. Please give us more mercenary stories. :lol:

Great build. I didn't think you the kid fairing type based on your wicked Toxic threads. LOL.

I guess I failed to adhere to my mantra "One up the bum, no harm done" (on multiple occasions). No seriously my kids are the centre of my universe and are probably why I am still alive (a combination of love of my children and fear of my wife.. just joking if you are reading this sweetheart :wink: *looks over shoulder*).

Good to see you were able to empathise with the position of the pirate Spinning Magnets. Sometimes you have to walk a thousand miles in a man's shoes to understand him, and that can be hard when he doesn't wear any shoes, and has khat dribbling down his chin, and is all sweaty and twitchy with a clenched jaw and an AK47 in his hands (didn't mean to give you flashbacks there).

Was dropping the boy to preschool this morning, and he said to me "You know dad I really love this bike, it's so much fun!"

Thanks for your kind words.
I am sending Philistine the new torque plates, as I dont have a V4. He can review them, then they will be available.

I figured if your planning to take the piss, then I better lay the bait. Here is a pick of my Missus and 2 boys, soon after the Ping packs arived for our very first yuba.

mundo1.jpg

I am sending Philistine the new torque plates, as I dont have a V4. He can review them, then they will be available.

Woo hoo!

Kiwi is such a top bloke, and his voluntary laying of the bait means that I am not even going to run any of the myriad jokes that came to mind regarding the little pasenger in the blue box on the back....

Really sweet photo BTW.

In the distance, a family with 1 kid in the United States is buying a 4000lb 6 seater SUV since they just had a kid.

Here, a member figures out how to safely and easily carry two kids on a ~100lb bike.
I love this forum!

Cool build dude, this should be in the news.

Phil, yes the mundo's 30mm ID headtube suits common/more-modern 1 & 1/8" steerer tubes with an appropriate threadless headset. As standard, the frame comes with an old-school design threaded 1 & 1/8" steerer-tube rigid fork and old-school shrink-fit handlebar quill.
I've personally decided on some brand new RockShox Domain Dual-Crown forks for my future 80kph mundo. Havent installed them yet, but will post pics and ride impressions as soon as i have (this weekend all going well). Keep in mind that for any 1 & 1/8" upgraded suspension forks you consider, they will almost certainly have to be purchased brand new because the yuba headtube is sooooo long that practically all second-hand forks will have the steerer tube cut to suit more common/sensible short headtubes. RockShox Domains/Boxxers are a safe bet because they have far longer uncut steerer tubes (~28cm) compared with even brand new marzocchi and fox forks that i have come across. Even with the steerer tube uncut, there is only barely enough length for use with a common/more modern steerer-tube clamping bar-stem to fit the mundo (the use of the Rockshox Dual crown Domain/Boxxer included high-rise upper crown is necessitated as well). Oh, and as elluded to earlier, you'll also have to dump the standard threaded headset and handlebar quill, as they wont work with these new forks. Thats because threaded headsets rely on the threaded nut on the end of the steerer tube to adjust the threaded headset bearing preload tolerances (hold it all together). So dont forget to add those two items to the list of purchases.

I bought my forks from this seller.... best price i could find on the internet. Got mine recently for AU$469 delivered to Aus http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Roc...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b433d530

Also, I went for a high quality Cane Creek S8 headset.

I will be really interested in how you find the handling. I will probably wait and see how you go, so I can benefit from your experience (postive/negative or otherwise). I definately want to replace my handles bars with something wider and straighter, but I am really unsure of how the handling will be with so much weight (ie two of my kids) on the back with such big front forks. My Boxxers on my Greyborg move a lot (I have the hardest springs in), and when I have the two kids on the back of the mundo, if they flail around with their arms etc.., I have to hold control with with the handlebars, I just have no idea what that might feel like if there is a lot of suspension travel?

Make sure you post about yours when you get it going, or drop me a PM and let me know how it turns out.

Cheers, Phil.

Kiwi generously gave me his V3 torque arms, which on the V4 (which this frame is) are too short. Being too short means the torque arms starts to rotate. But Kiwi has been hard at work, and he is about to make available V4 torque arms (the V4 frame only being recently released in Aus and NZ) - these will be a perfect fit for the V4 frame. Anyone with a V4 Yuba Mundo should be PMing Kiwi to get hold of his new flash torque arms. He has designed them as a triangle against the frame line, so they work both forward and in regen mode. Kiwi is a legend, and I can't say enough good things about dealing with the guy - typical of those Kiwis - every bone in your Aussie body wants to make disparraging comments about them and their proclivity for sheep, but their ingenuity and talent means you have to settle for stealing all their great ideas, and claiming all the talent they produced as your country's own (Russell Crowe - Crowded House, INXS - Split Ends.... They're all Aussies by the way, I swear to god).

Kiwi is absolutely amazing talented boy , I met him several time, he gave me a hand with my building just for passion, not at all for money. First time he came here where I work with few demo ebikes for my colleagues to try. Amazing experience, some of that fellows comes downstairs at lunch time to have a ride on my ebike, "just for 5 minutes" they say, "It's like flying (agree), it's addictive!"

Kiwis are great people, I lived here since 4 years now (Im from Rome), it's a bike-paradise, and a perfect spot to start my little rEVolution. In Rome, you ride a bike= you die. It's just a matter of when.
I would never ever ride a Mundo with my treasure on board in Rome:) Environment is the first think in terms of safety I guess:)

Also, thanks you guys for share your experience with your Clan, that's a lot encouraging for who is scared like me from shortpeople :)

"Honestly Marge, I wouldn't have done it if I had known you would find out!"
I cracked at that one!
What about your Greyborg? Are you happy with that nice toy? (apart from the 8x8, sorry about that)
How's the handling?

Hey Kiwi, that pict rules!
Sweet as bro! (they're also funny sometime, but with great humor) :lol:

Hi Cicada,

Yeah, New Zealand is a stunning country, and they are great people. You must be having a blast there, much more laid back than Rome I imagine, and as you say, much more pleasant country for riding bikes.

What about your Greyborg? Are you happy with that nice toy? (apart from the 8x8, sorry about that)
How's the handling?

The Greyborg is insane fun. The handling is just stunning, Hal has excelled in its design and manufacture. Here is a pic I took at the same time I snapped the Yuba

I replaced the 9C with a HS35, which has actually been running stock for a hundred or two KM with no issues (despite me spinning it twice in the axle), which considering a lot of people got them broken out of the box, I have been very lucky.

Specs on it are:

20S (20ah) Turnigy Lipo
24 Fet Lyen controller
HS35 hub
CA Large Screen
Cycle luminator plugged in to the CA
There is a temp guage on the handlebars which I will hook up to the hub when I get in there, at the moment it is on the controller, as I wanted to make sure the controller didn't get too hot as it is inside the cover getting no airflow, it has been fine.

The bike is so much fun, it can just go anywhere.

My brother in-law is a Kiwi, and one time he came over for a BBQ, and wanted somewhere to put his beer. We call the ice boxes you put your beer in Eskies, and some Kiwis call them "Chilly Bins", but because Kiwi's pronounce Bin "Bun", I thought he wanted me give him a bun filled with Chillie meat, and he kept looking at me strangely as to why I didn't have an Eskie. He just kept telling me he couldn't believe I didn't have a Chillie Bun, and I kept telling him we just had sausages and steak.

Haha, don't tell me, I think I' missing 50% of what's happening around me every day because I'm not getting what they say:)
I was working on District 9 set (the movie, I work in motion capture) and during testing our producer asked me to play (as spare) an alien that had to pee on a shed...I wasn't sure for what they asked so I didn't perform at all, I was there... looking around..embarassed......they had to show me the script so I belived!

You have amazing toys Sir, happy ride!

Back