ElectroVelo

kokopelli314

100 mW
This is my latest build, from May 2011. To date, Apr 26, 2012 I have 13,335 kms on it.
It has a trailer hitch, but there's enough room inside for a weeks worth of groceries.
I have been using this as my exclusive transportation.
[youtube]9na1kFdU9gs[/youtube]

How fast, 60-65 kph
How far, ~ 200 km @ 35-40 kph, with some pedaling
How much, batteries, electronics, frame, canopy, shell ~ $3700
Weight, ~ 160 lbs
Batteries, 60v, 20AH LiFePO4, + Occasional 48v 20AH LiFePO4 reserve all from Ping
Motor Crystalyte 405
40A Clyte controller
Cycle Analyst, V2
100w DC-DC converter for lights, fan, heater and radio
Front brakes Sturmey-Archer, laced to Sun CR-18 rims

Build Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117595981193345483035/Trikes

kbell.green said:
How much, batteries, electronics, frame, canopy, shell ~ $3700

Priceless. :D

Sweet build! Can you give us more details on the shell construction? Where did you get that canopy? That thing looks like it would be great to use just by itself.

Thanks for the kudos!
some build photos are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117595981193345483035/Trikes?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The canopy is made for an RV-8 sports plane. Sometimes they're not certifiable because of warpage, thickness etc.
I got this one from toddscanopies in Florida

The shell is 6061 aluminum panels on the sides and rear. The front, from the outside in is resin, lycra, foam, lycra stretched over woven aluminum bands. This matched the shape of the canopy.

Quiet too which would add to the zen. :eek:

If you don't mind, how much do they charge for their QC rejects?

That's an awesome deal man. thanks for the tip!. Hell that thing is big enough to be great by itself.

Excellent build!

Obviously great in rainy weather, though what happens when it's sunny and hot?
Sounds like you're getting some great range out of the batteries. It must be very efficient.
I love the construction. What kind of foam is that? I assume it hardens and you can shape it somehow.
At least somebody found a proper use for Lycra... :mrgreen:

fechter said:
Excellent build!

Obviously great in rainy weather, though what happens when it's sunny and hot?
Sounds like you're getting some great range out of the batteries. It must be very efficient.
I love the construction. What kind of foam is that? I assume it hardens and you can shape it somehow.
At least somebody found a proper use for Lycra... :mrgreen:

Thank You.
Black side panels are thick EPDM rubber attached with velcro and magnets. They peel off from the inside. and get tossed in the back when it gets warm. It does get warm in the summer, with the side ventilation, not excessively.
Back in January, i decided to run the Ping 48v 20ah LiFePO4's flat on a long trip. I ended up getting almost 1200 w/h ~ 23Ah out of them. I've had this pack for three years. Amazing! Haven't ran my regular 60v pack flat yet.
The foam is 2 part urethane spray foam, a $50.00 kit. In hindsight I should have purchased 2 kits. I had some sanding to do to work out the shape before applying the final lycra sheet. For future reference, DO NOT use 1 part spray foam. It's a mess!
I did some experiments with lycra and various coatings before beginning. Urethane, aka Bedliner significantly weakens the lycra to the shear strengths of tarpaper. Good old polyester resin worked well and maintained the shear strength of the lycra.

And yes, I agree. Wearing the stuff is usually a bad idea!

For anyone interested in using coroplast/correx/coreflute,
this is from 2009/10

[youtube]fsgG3i7fVDU[/youtube]

Something like this 1950 Fend Flitzer is where I'm heading. Much lighter of course and electric
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/fend-flitzer-101.html
fend-flitzer-02.jpg

Awesome job. Looks like the ultimate wet/cold weather ride if you don't want a car. I noticed the spare tire hanging, good idea :D

veloman said:
Awesome job. Looks like the ultimate wet/cold weather ride if you don't want a car. I noticed the spare tire hanging, good idea :D
Thanks. Thankfully haven't blown a tire yet, but no point taking chances.

Came across your velo on youtube. Fantastic design, could you tell us how the trike behaves on bumpy roads? Was it bought or did you make it?

Thanks Patrick. I made it. Ok rough roads. We have a few pooly kept roads here and I've pretty much destroyed two sun sr18 rims 1.5" tires. I've relaced to 3cross on cheapo steel rims and switched to 1.95 and this has improved the ride greatly. The Cane Creek AD12 airshocks are adjusted to about 100lbs each and the rear swingarm shock is prestressed at about 40%. This all helps. When loaded with cargo, inertia makes for a better ride, but cargo, as a ratio of vehicle mass is much higher than an automobile, so Im considering a loaded/unloaded adjustment for the rear shock. Right now road chatter is at a mimimum and bumps are working through the shocks with about 2" of travel. Potholes and tracks however are still a problem. Thinking of mounting my 14" motorbike rims or buying 16" moped wheels.

Really one of the best home built velos I've seen.

Back