New Build crystalyte 4080 / 3580 down hill bike UK

topfuel

1 W
Hello i am new to the forum , after buying a XIPI e bike 2010 model 48v, i have modified it a little by moving the batterys into the frame as they were on the rear of the bike in some side panniers , which made the bike much more balanced
after useing this bike for a few months a am hooked , this bike will do 30 mph no peddling and 36 with some peddling . i now have this bike for sale .
So now a NEW Build , i have been looking for a full suspension down hill bike and found this green down hill bike which looks very strong and ideal for my new bike , next was to do some resuch regarding motors etc so after finding this forum i contacted kenny at crystalyte and ordererd 72volt 4080 kit and i also ordererd 3580 motor because i was not sure about just running the single speed fitted to the 4080 .
now just waiting for the kit to arrive and will update as i progress
i have att photos of my old bike now for sale and the green down hill bike waiting to start

Attachments

• DSCF2850.JPG
    DSCF2850.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 6,849
  • DSCF2855.JPG
    DSCF2855.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 6,849
Ingredients look good so far ,what battery's do you intend to use,and where will you put them ?nice looking frame what is it 8)

Hi the frame is a ridgeback i believe , the guy i bought it from has had it from new 10 years old which surprized me . the battery i have ordered is 72V 20AH Lithium battery + battery bag with key switch with harness with charging plug . and i am not sure where to mount it yet i will have to see when it comes ( all part of the fun )
the bike was complete when i picked it up but the crank bearing where shot , so sorting that now , motor kit due in the next 10 days :lol:

Well some parts arrive from kenny after a long wait , well the battery and charger :shock: motors due tomorrow :D , also got some other parts new forks handle bars , hyd brakes 203mm discs , pedals . got to mount the new 72v 20 amp battery to the front forks . afew pictures for you

Attachments

• bata.jpg
    bata.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 6,597
  • battt.jpg
    battt.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6,597
  • batttt.jpg
    batttt.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 6,597
got some work done run the 2 motors on the bike both run sweet but noticed my rear tyre has a bulg in it causeing some vibration , so looking to buy 2 new tyres now , looking for 26 x 2.5 any one got any sugestions on a good road tyre ????
also got my chain and gears sorted , put a 5 speed freewheel on the 4080 motor just needs a small spacer between the frame and the gears to make it fit ,
getting the battery mount sorted this week
thanks for lookking :D

got a bit more done tonight , the first torque arm nearly done , made it from stainless steel also found my 4080 motor not to be running true so i have to have re done by my local shop after paying a lot off money for the kit you don't expect it so its always best to check , i then checked my 3580 and this one is fine thank god , thanks for the advice on the tyres :D .
a couple of pictures to show you all as every one like to see pic's :shock:

Attachments

• bbi3.jpg
    bbi3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 6,402
  • bbi2.jpg
    bbi2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 6,402
Hello Top fuel,

Your green bike almost looks like a 1st gen Marin or Orange 5. I am not thinking that it's a Santacruz. I have been following Santacuz bikes since they first introduced the Bullit in the mid 90s. If memroy service me correct, Santacruz didn't make a single pivot bike with that kind of swingarm. Cant wait to see your final build. The 4080 will rip all over the 3580 in terms of torque and acceleration.

Rick

Rix said:
Hello Top fuel,

Your green bike almost looks like a 1st gen Marin or Orange 5. I am not thinking that it's a Santacruz. I have been following Santacuz bikes since they first introduced the Bullit in the mid 90s. If memroy service me correct, Santacruz didn't make a single pivot bike with that kind of swingarm. Cant wait to see your final build. The 4080 will rip all over the 3580 in terms of torque and acceleration.

Rick
regarding the bike frame i think its 10 years old again your guess is as good as mine as to what make it is , the guy i bought it of had it powder coated a couple of years ago and not used it since , but its a good frame for my build , done some wiring on it today , thanks for your interest

That frame looks like a good match for the 4080. Ironically with bicycle suspension, the ride quality hasn't changed too much over the past 15 years. You could take your frame and suspended it with latest and greatest fork and shock matched to your leverage ratio and it would ride 95% as good as anything new with a comparable head angles. The big difference with new frames now is you just don't loose nearly as much power under human pedaling with a full suspension bike as you would with that frame. But since your machine will have a hub motor, it doesn't matter. If you look at Hyena build thread, he took a frame with a shock mounted on the down tube like yours and had somebody fabricate an aluminum box section to replace the down tube. The shock mount stayed the same and he can now fit 1200 WH worth of lipos in the boxed section. After you get your build completed, if you like the way it handles and works for you, could be worth looking into modifying your frame to hold lipos. Check out the pic.

Rick

Rix said:
That frame looks like a good match for the 4080. Ironically with bicycle suspension, the ride quality hasn't changed too much over the past 15 years. You could take your frame and suspended it with latest and greatest fork and shock matched to your leverage ratio and it would ride 95% as good as anything new with a comparable head angles. The big difference with new frames now is you just don't loose nearly as much power under human pedaling with a full suspension bike as you would with that frame. But since your machine will have a hub motor, it doesn't matter. If you look at Hyena build thread, he took a frame with a shock mounted on the down tube like yours and had somebody fabricate an aluminum box section to replace the down tube. The shock mount stayed the same and he can now fit 1200 WH worth of lipos in the boxed section. After you get your build completed, if you like the way it handles and works for you, could be worth looking into modifying your frame to hold lipos. Check out the pic.

Rick
thanks for the reply , interesting Hyena build , anyway cant sit on this laptop i have a bike to build lol

Topfuel, how is the build coming along? Read on the Phasor forum that your a couple weeks out. What do you have figured for power? 70-90 volts worth of Lipos in a back pack? Frame rack?

Rick

Rix said:
Topfuel, how is the build coming along? Read on the Phasor forum that your a couple weeks out. What do you have figured for power? 70-90 volts worth of Lipos in a back pack? Frame rack?

Rick
i am using the battery kenny supplied which is 72V 20AH Lithium battery which will be front mounted to the forks , so i will run this set up to start, i have now run the wires in the frame just got to connect them up to the battery

Attachments

• baattt.jpg
    baattt.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 1,709
Looks like that will be a clean set up with the battery case. Should be an awesome ride when you are done.

Rix said:
Looks like that will be a clean set up with the battery case. Should be an awesome ride when you are done.
picked the 4080 back up today after haveing it re laced now with black spokes and fitted my new decals on the bike , bike now has a NAME :D THE HORNET :shock:
As you can see from the new picture i have run the wires though the frame , new front forks should be painted today and the new battery box nearly finished then i can fit the brakes all on
busy bsusy busy

Attachments

• bbbbi.jpg
    bbbbi.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5,616
That machine is turning out sharp and clean :D . The Hornet huh. Remember the Green Hornet? Coincidence? I think not.

Hi Topfuel

Looks like we're building similar bikes in the UK (although you're a bit further along than me.

What are the new forks?

Can you post some more pics of your controller mounting and cabling

What are you doing for a drivetrain?

more pics please.

Cheers........ Tricky

personally I would NOT put the batteries on the front forks ! :shock: :shock:
because any weight you put on the forks will make steering heavy and slow in reaction .
unless you drive on paved roads and mainly straight .

rgs Renago

renago said:
because any weight you put on the forks will make steering heavy and slow in reaction .

rgs Renago

It depends how much weight you're planning to put on the front forks, looks like there's a very heavy hub motor at the back and the controller on the seatpost, I'm planning on putting half my batteries in my frame triangle and the other parallel set on Kiwi's forklift on the front forks.

Seems to me on a very tail heavy bike balancing the weight with some lipos on the front might give better traction to the front wheel especially when climbing, its a downhill bike but you've got to get up to go down thats the point of electrifying a DH bike for offroad riding. Anyway we'll see.

renago said:

rgs Renago
regarding your comment on front mounted battery , do you have experience riding such a bike ? i would like to know ? , i have read a few trends on here where batterys have been fitted to the front forks and it seems that steering is only effected at very slow speed (walking pace) , also if i fitted them to the rear of this bike it would be rear heavy causing Very light steering / wheelies which in its self would be worse i think ,
the bike will mainly be used on the road , but thank you for your interest

Back