10 AWG cable

drsolly

100 W
I've been sniffing around Ebay for good deals on 10AWG cable, and I see that a lot of sellers are offering 10AWG car amplifier kits, which include 5m of 10AWG red, 1m of 10AWG black, and various other bits and pieces, all for around £7 (about $12), postage included.

I also see the same thing in 8AWG for £8

Hobbyking (for comparison) would sell 6m of 10AWG for $16.60, plus postage.

I'm guessing that the car audio cable isn't as good as the HK (maybe not quite as flexible?), but AWG is AWG, I'm thinking.

Has anyone tried using this cable?

I ended up buying an "amplifier installation kit" when I wanted some 4AWG cable (not for an ebike) because it was cheaper than buying a single length of 4AWG cable.

It did the job but the quality isn't great. It's fine stranded but the insulation is the typical chunky translucent cheap, soft PVC stuff.

Punx0r said:
I ended up buying an "amplifier installation kit" when I wanted some 4AWG cable (not for an ebike) because it was cheaper than buying a single length of 4AWG cable.

It did the job but the quality isn't great. It's fine stranded but the insulation is the typical chunky translucent cheap, soft PVC stuff.
I think, you are still worrying about wrong issue.
How about weight? A have 8AWG audio cable that weights almost same as 14AWG real cooper wire, have as well other fine strand wire that is little heavier then first alu one but it is MAGNETIC (even week ferrit magnet will hang on it) . Being cooper 1.7X more conductive then aluminum and at least 5X more conductive then iron :D
http://metals.about.com/od/properties/a/Electrical-Conductivity-In-Metals.htm
Cooper is also also 2X more heat conductive then aluminum and 5X more then iron.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html

Can you weight a cable and see if it is magnetic. This way we could hopefully exclude iron and aluminum. Measuring resistivity would be the best way to determine is the wire is worth to consider.

For sure, the wire is almost certainly of poor quality. There must be a reason why it is cheap! I did not consider this at the time (it was a few years ago).

Find one that states ofc. It has greater surface conductivity. Also unlikely to be anything other than ofc.

Back