10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Hello Vedder

I just wanted to say thank you again.

My PCBs are on the way, the new Gerber files are spot on. I have installed Ubuntu on an old laptop and managed to get the BLDC build tool up and running, nice work on the software it is really nicely laid out and seems to have everything you need to be able to setup and tune your ESC. The tutorial on your web site is awesome, really easy to follow.

I can't wait to see how you go with the dual motor setup as this is what I am intending to do with my board.

Cheers,

Scoobiext

Nice that you were able to follow the tutorial. It is really easy to do stuff like that on Ubuntu. On a fresh install just a few commands are required to install Qt, a complete toolchain to compile the firmware, git and run everything else required.

Since I am not really happy with the reliability of the Nyko Kama, I have decided to replace the electronics in is with a custom PCB and radio. The most popular 2.4ghz module right now seems to be the NRF24L01+, so I bought 10 of these SMD-modules on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371212850423?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=640348271362&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I will make a custom PCB for nunchuks (or similar remotes) and one that can be connected to the ESC. Since I control the communication myself and it is bidirectional, I can include a battery meter and some other stuff on the nunchuk. Maybe I can even find a remote with nicer shape than the nunchuk, but after getting used to it I like the joystick and the buttons on it. A display like this one or smaller to display speed, distance traveled, amp hours used/left etc. would be nice on the remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Serial-SPI-I2C-1-3-128x64-OLED-Module-Display-for-or-Arduino-PIC-Oximeter-/301213960575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4621c0497f

vedder said:
Nice that you were able to follow the tutorial. It is really easy to do stuff like that on Ubuntu. On a fresh install just a few commands are required to install Qt, a complete toolchain to compile the firmware, git and run everything else required.

Since I am not really happy with the reliability of the Nyko Kama, I have decided to replace the electronics in is with a custom PCB and radio. The most popular 2.4ghz module right now seems to be the NRF24L01+, so I bought 10 of these SMD-modules on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371212850423?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=640348271362&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I will make a custom PCB for nunchuks (or similar remotes) and one that can be connected to the ESC. Since I control the communication myself and it is bidirectional, I can include a battery meter and some other stuff on the nunchuk. Maybe I can even find a remote with nicer shape than the nunchuk, but after getting used to it I like the joystick and the buttons on it. A display like this one or smaller to display speed, distance traveled, amp hours used/left etc. would be nice on the remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Serial-SPI-I2C-1-3-128x64-OLED-Module-Display-for-or-Arduino-PIC-Oximeter-/301213960575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4621c0497f

OMG! Your the best! lolololol

I've been waiting for this for so long hahaha.

vedder said:

hey Vedder,

If you get a pcb with all the bits for a controller and need help packaging it let me know. I just designed a game controller for my work that would be perfect as a board controller. However it could be redesigned by removing the joystick and putting the LCD screen in its place. I asked my coworker if the bluetooth PCB we have could be adapted as a board controller and he said yes but he would need to design the RX portion. If you get the internals working and need CAD help let me know.

Take care,

Marc

addicted2climbing said:
vedder said:

hey Vedder,

If you get a pcb with all the bits for a controller and need help packaging it let me know. I just designed a game controller for my work that would be perfect as a board controller. However it could be redesigned by removing the joystick and putting the LCD screen in its place. I asked my coworker if the bluetooth PCB we have could be adapted as a board controller and he said yes but he would need to design the RX portion. If you get the internals working and need CAD help let me know.

Take care,

Marc

I would expect that the NRF24L01+ would be a better solution than Bluetooth. The control required is relatively basic and in my opinion doesn't warrant the complexity and cost of Bluetooth.

Cheers,

Peter

open-sourced progres...

All the chinese eboard companies must be licking their chops...

They will have an awesome eboard controller and hubmotor wheels in the same couple of months, both open source...
Add a lipo with BMS, and a board/trucks combo and you are set...

And from then on all evolution on their side will be proprietary... :roll:

oh well...

beto_pty said:
open-sourced progres...

All the chinese eboard companies must be licking their chops...

They will have an awesome eboard controller and hubmotor wheels in the same couple of months, both open source...
Add a lipo with BMS, and a board/trucks combo and you are set...

And from then on all evolution on their side will be proprietary... :roll:

oh well...

Lol yeah.. unfortunate but oh welps.. most likely going to happen regardless. Open source benefits all us though..

Their software will most likely have a lack of updates and/or will have bugs and they can't fix it -- a few companies ring a few bells.

Vedder,
I am really looking forward to your attempt to replace the nunchuck communication protocol.
I am picking my brain and the Internet for a while now for the best way to do that with a small enough hardware that would fit inside the nunchuck and to be as trivial to implement in the existing Nunchuck libraries - especially austindavid's amazing code.
please keep us posted on your progress and what to buy.
thank you for your amazing work!

Anyone buy a min qty of 10 boards and want to sell 3? If so PM me.. Or anyone planning to populate and program the boards want to sell 2? if so definitely PM me..

Marc

Iv talked to a company and worked out a price for the BLC custome 10s ESC to be printed and assembled.

It will coast $105usd for 20pcs to order assembled! Or $75 each for 100pcs to order at cost!

I can put the firmware on them for an extra fee but because it's open source hardware no profit!

That is is vedda is cool with it.

I'm going China coz it cheaper and they can copy it any way coz it free on the net!

If any one is interested please let me know! By PM thanks

It would be nice if you could arrange something like that and keep me in the loop. For the first order, I think 20 is enough in case there are issues with the hardware. Just remember that my ESC is NOT plug and play, even if the firmware is flashed. You have to use BLDC Tool to configure it for each motor, otherwise the motor will run poorly or not at all. I would also suggest that everyone who is part of the first batch has an SWD programmer to upload new firmware when I make updates to it.

Installing everything on a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 is easy, just a few commands in the terminal as I described in my latest post about VESC:
http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/

Here's how to make a programmer:
http://vedder.se/2014/12/connecting-a-programmerdebugger-my-custom-stm32-pcbs/

So I repeat it again: If you don't want to install Ubuntu on you computer and do some configuration/firmware updates, I do not recommend that you buy one of the first VESCs.

Some updates:
* I have created an IRC channel so you can live chat with me about VESC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vedder

* I have tested the ESC on 12S on my latest longboard with one 168kv motor, and so far it works fine. The second motor for that board arrived in my mail yesterday, I just have to attach it and assemble another ESC.

* This weekend I will try using 2 168kv motors and run CAN-bus between the ESCs on my latest longboard. The code, including traction control (if it works the way I hope), is almost ready. Traction control will work for any number of ESCs on the same CAN bus and minimal configuration should be required. I have implemented it by having the master ESC (connected to the nunchuk) read the RPM of each ESC at 1kHz rate and control each motor with a torque command based on the difference between that motors RPM and the RPM of the slowest motor. So the faster one motor goes compared to the slowest motor, the lower current command will it receive.

jacobbloy said:
Iv talked to a company and worked out a price for the BLC custome 10s ESC to be printed and assembled.

It will coast $105usd for 20pcs to order assembled! Or $75 each for 100pcs to order at cost!

I can put the firmware on them for an extra fee but because it's open source hardware no profit!

That is is vedda is cool with it.

I'm going China coz it cheaper and they can copy it any way coz it free on the net!

If any one is interested please let me know! By PM thanks

PM Sent

vedder said:
Just remember that my ESC is NOT plug and play, even if the firmware is flashed. You have to use BLDC Tool to configure it for each motor, otherwise the motor will run poorly or not at all. I would also suggest that everyone who is part of the first batch has an SWD programmer to upload new firmware when I make updates to it.

Using the BLDC tool to configure the motor, is that for the low rpm running feature? How will it differ with motors with sensors? I am going to install ubuntu and your programs and hope to figure something out.

Edit: I now have ubuntu installed and have installed the software up to the point that I need a working board and the programmer. You say on conf_general.h to select the version of the board, there is no option for 4.7, should I just use 4.6?

Using the BLDC tool to configure the motor, is that for the low rpm running feature? How will it differ with motors with sensors? I am going to install ubuntu and your programs and hope to figure something out.
The parameters have to be correct to run the motor properly at all speeds. If you set the commutation mode to delay most of the sensorless parameters aren't required anymore, but then the startup performance won't be that good. I haven't implemented phase advance (or timing adjustment) for the delay mode either.

To run with sensors, you need to configure that using bldc_tool as well. You have to connect the sensors and motor phases in the correct order to run with sensors (you can also configure in which order they are connected using BLDC Tool). I can write a tutorial about that some time.

I now have ubuntu installed and have installed the software up to the point that I need a working board and the programmer. You say on conf_general.h to select the version of the board, there is no option for 4.7, should I just use 4.6?
You can use v4.6. The only difference with 4.7 is that I added a TVS diode on the 5v and moved the current shunt sense wires a bit. If you are using 39k resistors (instead of 33k as it was earlier), make sure to uncomment
#define VIN_R1 39000.0
in conf_general as well.

vedder said:
The parameters have to be correct to run the motor properly at all speeds. If you set the commutation mode to delay most of the sensorless parameters aren't required anymore, but then the startup performance won't be that good. I haven't implemented phase advance (or timing adjustment) for the delay mode either.

To run with sensors, you need to configure that using bldc_tool as well. You have to connect the sensors and motor phases in the correct order to run with sensors (you can also configure in which order they are connected using BLDC Tool). I can write a tutorial about that some time.

I now have ubuntu installed and have installed the software up to the point that I need a working board and the programmer. You say on conf_general.h to select the version of the board, there is no option for 4.7, should I just use 4.6?
You can use v4.6. The only difference with 4.7 is that I added a TVS diode on the 5v and moved the current shunt sense wires a bit. If you are using 39k resistors (instead of 33k as it was earlier), make sure to uncomment
#define VIN_R1 39000.0
in conf_general as well.

Sounds good thanks! Can't wait to get it up an running in a few weeks 8)

Hey Ben,

I just entered everything at Mouser and ran into one issue.

80-C0805C224K5R when I pull this part number up its a 50V but the BOM sheet says 25V. Is the BOM description wrong or is the Mouser part number incorrect. Im ready to buy the boards form you and replied to your PM.

Thanks,

Marc

addicted2climbing said:
Hey Ben,

I just entered everything at Mouser and ran into one issue.

80-C0805C224K5R when I pull this part number up its a 50V but the BOM sheet says 25V. Is the BOM description wrong or is the Mouser part number incorrect. Im ready to buy the boards form you and replied to your PM.

Thanks,

Marc

Yes I asked the same question. 80-C0805C224K5R is the correct part, the extra voltage it supports does not matter.

silviasol said:
Yes I asked the same question. 80-C0805C224K5R is the correct part, the extra voltage it supports does not matter.
Just to be clear, this means using this part 50V capacitor is fine even though the one specified for 25V.

chuttney1 said:
silviasol said:
Just to be clear, this means using this part 50V capacitor is fine even though the one specified for 25V.

Yes see his blog http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/ I asked him in the questions and he answered.

addicted2climbing said:
Great thanks...

Have you soldered up your board yet?

Marc

Still waiting on my bare boards to be shipped.

I did make a mistake 4 weeks ago, I did order the pcbs found on Benjamin's website. But when they arrived I realized I had to assemble everything:
https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/emlink?emr=15700949093933683744&emid=CMjuv66wv8MCFSXkQgodLnoAHw&path=/117915310354411306637/posts/6pznEpgnYxE?gpinv%3DAMIXal-_GHvSB8ktohfKtxguFC3C-LImS-hafO6gLfD8UiOeakpgQwr4eewY-O0ttklU1Ur8jN2HsydG5yuFVAHH1cGOZsUiREmUrcYIWXabiNAy15xH8MI&dt=1422746669024&ub=STREAM_SHARE_OFFNETWORK&uob=8

romdj said:
I did make a mistake 4 weeks ago, I did order the pcbs found on Benjamin's website. But when they arrived I realized I had to assemble everything:
https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/emlink?emr=15700949093933683744&emid=CMjuv66wv8MCFSXkQgodLnoAHw&path=/117915310354411306637/posts/6pznEpgnYxE?gpinv%3DAMIXal-_GHvSB8ktohfKtxguFC3C-LImS-hafO6gLfD8UiOeakpgQwr4eewY-O0ttklU1Ur8jN2HsydG5yuFVAHH1cGOZsUiREmUrcYIWXabiNAy15xH8MI&dt=1422746669024&ub=STREAM_SHARE_OFFNETWORK&uob=8

Yes, correct. You will have to solder the components to the board. You also will need to buy the SMD components as the board was made for the SMD components.

meh, I'm going to order assembled kits instead, I'm no good at soldering. If anybody wants some, it's 10e/piece + shipping (paid 100e for the six).

Back