12V 4.8 HP 2100 rpm winch motor options.

http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/alien-6374-outrunner-brushless-motor-90kv-3200w/

For the price I don't see how you can beat that. No expensive, heavy and complicated gear reduction unit required. :D

Gearing should be for around 40 mph I would think even though 3,200 W should be good for close to 50 mph it should run better and not fail with 40 mph gearing.

The other thing I like about this is the light weight. A Haro V3 mountain bike is lightweight and strong and a 20 pound winch motor would be ridiculous. That motor might weigh two or three pounds and A couple of 5S LiPo packs in series should do the trick.

I would run #420 heavy duty chain and a sprocket that bolts on to the disk brake mount however instead of a spoke sprocket kit. The chain and sprocket will probably weigh more than the motor and controller.

I will need to price the controller and LiPo packs. I could probably gear it for 40 mph at 10S LiPo but run it with a single 6S pack for around 35 mph for now though if I can get a variable controller say 24 to 36V with a 20V LVC. Please let me know what you guys think about this decision. Thanks.

LC. out.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 826
Just because that motor will deliver 3200W at some speed does not mean it will do so at a speed that makes sense for your project. 5S Lipo will result in about 1700 rpm, which is good-- but there's no way it will put out 3kW at that speed.

By the time you get to the power range you're looking for, the shaft speed will be much higher than a single reduction can handle.

10s * 4.7V = 47V @ 4,230 rpm and 3,200 watts = maximum output to motor and maximum rpm with 45 mph gearing.

6S * 4.7V = 28.2V @ 2,538 rpm and 1,920 watts going to motor.

1,920 watts = 35 mph. - 6S LiPo

8S * 4.7V = 37.6V @ 3,384 rpm and 2,560 watts going to motor.

2,560 watts = 40 mph.

Basically I am looking to gear this for 35 mph with 6S LiPo and 40 mph with 8S LiPo.

I DO NOT intend on ever running it with 10S LiPo or 3,200 watts as I believe from what I have heard these typs of motors were NOT designed for electric bikes but for lighter weight RC cars and drones so probably wont hold up well at maximum power running a heavier e bike.

I will use sprocket calculator to gear it for 40 mph @ 3,384 rpm. Do you think that it will work ? Please let me know.

LC. out.

latecurtis said:
10s * 4.7V = 47V @ 4,230 rpm and 3,200 watts = maximum output to motor and maximum rpm with 45 mph gearing.

6S * 4.7V = 28.2V @ 2,538 rpm and 1,920 watts going to motor.

1,920 watts = 35 mph. - 6S LiPo

8S * 4.7V = 37.6V @ 3,384 rpm and 2,560 watts going to motor.

2,560 watts = 40 mph.

Basically I am looking to gear this for 35 mph with 6S LiPo and 40 mph with 8S LiPo.

I DO NOT intend on ever running it with 10S LiPo or 3,200 watts as I believe from what I have heard these typs of motors were NOT designed for electric bikes but for lighter weight RC cars and drones so probably wont hold up well at maximum power running a heavier e bike.

I will use sprocket calculator to gear it for 40 mph @ 3,384 rpm. Do you think that it will work ? Please let me know.

LC. out.
LC, I thought you were scared to death of LiPo. You never would charge fully and now you are going to charge them just before the fire starts. 4.7v is a little too high, unless you know something WE don't.

Read it again.

Dan

LC, I thought you were scared to death of LiPo. You never would charge fully and now you are going to charge them just before the fire starts. 4.7v is a little too high, unless you know something WE don't.

I made a mistake.

Basically depending on what condition they are in when charged to 4.2V they tend to drop to around 3.7V expecially about 1/3 or 1/2 way thru their usable life cycles.

4.17 * 6 = 25.02 = 6S LiPo

4.17 * 8 = 33.36V

The concept is still the same though. I have been studying RC type brush-less motors due to the lightweight advantage. However the disadvantage over say a 62 mm motor vs a 100 mm or larger motor would be low end torque I believe.

Basically the true reason for wanting to get up to lets say 40 mph is to get there as quick as possible without flipping the bike.
I realized way back in the mid 1980s when I would sit in my TV room at my Ma's house (the lady who raised me I called Ma)
I had a 1973 dodge charger bright blue with a hood scoop and 60s on the rear with keystone classics. It had a souped up 318 in it and souped up Chevys and fords would drive past shifting into neutral and revving up their engines. I knew then I was a motor head.

That idea was confirmed when I started hanging around with my friend Bob in the 90s who I went to Lebanon Valley speedway with to see him do 11 seconds in the quarter mile with his 1967 Dodge Cornet RT. with the 426 max wedge. ( the motor that came out before the Hemi) I got that same feeling I did sitting in my living room back in the 1980s 18 months ago when I was out to my brothers house and they were racing three four wheelers. My brother in law claims 80 mph on his.

I guess I just want to blow all three or four of those obnoxiously loud stinky gas guzzling pigs off the road with a really cool and quiet electric Haro at least in the eighth of a mile and leave them totally in the dust form zero to 40 mph. If that alien power motor wont do the trick then please let me know what motor I will need.

Not to worry to much about safety as I will wear the exact same safety gear that they wear which is at least a good crash helmet. Maybe some knee and elbow pads also. It is a back road with very little traffic and the race is done annually on the forth of July.

I could really use some help on this as it would not only score a victory for me but for everyone here on endless sphere. If just one of them scraps their gas guzzling hog for a superior electric conversion that would be a huge victory for the EV revolution. I recently contacted my friend Bob from the 90s and he also has a gas powered four wheeler now he races as he is on disability also and cant afford racing cars anymore. I want to shoot a video of me winning the annual race and send it to him. Please help me out here guys.

Thank you all very much. LC. out.

Yea. i guess i got a few months before summer to do it right as you say.

just have to see if there is enough money for it.

there are so many motor options that it is difficult to choose. Basically I just need to know if a brush-less hobby king or Alien power motor is the correct choice to go from 0 to 40 or 50 mph quick enough to win such a race or should I be looking at a heavy 20 pound winch motor and do what DA said originally and short the motor to the terminal when I reach 25 mph to get it to 50 quickly as there is no such thing as a 400 amp 12V controller for a 6 HP 12V winch motor.

There are many different options but even if Liveforphysics did let me use the Death bike it would not be the same as it is would NOT be my bike. It would be like my friend Bob letting me borrow his Cornet RT with the 400 horsepower motor to win a race because my 250 horsepower Dodge Charger could not get the job done. There would not be any satisfaction in that.

Winning this race is serious business to me. It is on my bucket list. I guess I just have something to prove and want to show them up. It is the competitive spirit.
It is not something I can just get past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIzll3rggo

I guess when I watched this video it just pushed me over the edge.

I know it is a rich mans game. I still cant give up on it though. thanks.

LC out.

Back