15 KWh DIY power wall build.

Jestronix

10 kW
Hi guys,

I had the chance to pick up 600 or so laptop batteries from work that were used for about 1.5 years, so most are in 80% or near capacity still. I sampled about 50 of them, there were a few of dead packs but most were holding capacity.

I decided to run a few tests, I charged a heap up and then let them sit for a few weeks. I found a thread where someone else did this and it was a good way to sift out the bad packs, rather than doing full capacity tests.

The batteries are perfect in shape with the case removed, which is very easy to remove. Each pack has its own balance circuit and thermal fusing for each parrellel. They are 3s 2p packs giving 11.1 nominal. I was worried this was too low for my inverters, but it works out as my inverters shut off at 10.5 or 3.5v per cell. I charge my packs to 4.05 so in this range I still get most of the capacity.

0f937f13554cfa560cabfe77fb41c4c6_zpswfihqbep.jpg

So here's the packs removed from their packaging ready for loading into my very fancy housing .

8f68fe64978c48931df3846bbb8280d3_zps3vkindp0.jpg

And here they are loaded into the packs and connected with copper rods. This is before I wired up the packs to the solar, but u can see how they will be stacked.

This is all housed outside of my house ! And stored in a metal server rack, so if it goes up its all seperate :)

Each 40 pack has a 75amp fuse as well, but I won't be ever coming close to those amps.

ea7435ea213e73a008d91379f46ddbc6_zps6t8mujih.jpg

And here's the cabinet being wired up, I run a PC on a stick for remote monitoring, I'm using PRTG for graphs and record keeping. I can see things like power being used and generated etc oh and cabinet/battery temps. The PC also allows me to remotely program and monitor the solar regulators too. I can also control relays if need be for fans or to cut power etc

My solar regulators are fully programmable so I can set the max voltage charge on the packs without worry.

I will run two 700w inverters, I picked these up cheap and they are a good quality unit.

The aim of the project is to remove some of my power use to off grid and with relatively low costs in setup. I can't say I'll save huge amounts of money but I certainly enjoy the tinkering and learning aspects.

Aim is to run my reef aquarium, outside lights , security cameras and charge all my power tools like my mower etc.

To start with I'm looking for a 4.5khw a day usage, giving me about 3 days reserve battery power with the packs.

Most of my power use is in the day, so aquarium lighting and cooling are done during solar hours, this will reduce the cycle use in the batteries too.

I'll also look at possibly running my fridge. Later I also hope to run my small aircon for my room.

My limiting factor is my inverters , they are only 12v which means I'm limited to 730w max solar input, moving to 24 will put me to 1.4kw which is near my solar panel max input.

I may look at selling them to get a higher voltage unit.

So in this build I won't have to ever solder one 18650 battery :) on any of the 2500 cells :)

I have done about two months of testing with about 2.5kwh of storage and a daily cycle of 1kwh, giving the batts a good cycle thrashing of about 40% a day and sometimes depending on weather dropping the packs to 20% capacity.

So far so good, I even pulled out random individual packs and did some cell checks, every cell was perfectly balanced for the 3s, so these little in built balancers do their job.

The contact pins that meet the copper bars are holding up well and only have to transfer very little amperage, in full swing it will be 300mah that's 150mah per 18650 cell :) I will only ever draw a constant of the same and spikes of maybe 300mah per cell. Nothing like our ebike usages.

Will update once I have the other packs joined up in the coming months.

15kwh for maybe around $300 in housing, wiring and breakers ain't bad :) of course these ain't new cells and life cycle will be interesting but it's worth a shot.

Thats a Great project which will soon catch up just like electric bikes.
Everyone at ES would want to do something like this. The more people try this, the more reliable system we can build using readily available components.

Please keep us updated with the performance.
Please also share details of how the batteries are stacked as you said you have not soldered any cells

No soldering directly to batteries? Good!

You do confuse amps and amp-hours throughout your post...

I'm surprised you're going with a 12V system, though. Most large packs run at higher voltages so you can put more power out. My office runs a 48V lead acid pack because I pull ~2kW from the system fairly regularly.

Tushar D said:
Thats a Great project which will soon catch up just like electric bikes.
Everyone at ES would want to do something like this. The more people try this, the more reliable system we can build using readily available components.

Please keep us updated with the performance.
Please also share details of how the batteries are stacked as you said you have not soldered any cells

Yes I was very lucky to come across such an amount and being an Es member well it had to be done.

Interconnecting the packs is simple, I use a 3mm copper bar that presses between the pins on the packs. This does well and as the packs see small amperage, it never puts stress on the packs.

I used cheap toolboxes to house all the packs, they are lined to provide insulation, I can house 40 packs per box, the boxes cost me $10 a pop, I simply remove the lids.

The only soldering I do is the main leads and I also solder a couple packs pins to the bars just so it won't come loose.

For those interested here are my live stats for two days, as its in testing phase u can see it's only around 1kwh a day use
Http://jestronix.noip.me:801/public/mapshow.htm?id=2029&mapid=E8C32E66-68B8-448F-9C37-3C66ACCAE561

Will grab closer picks when I get back from holidays

Hillhater said:
Do you know what brand and model laptop those packs came from ?
That was one mighty score to pick up so many usable cells in one common format.....for free ?

Yeh when I saw these were being simply recycled , I jumped on it and tested that night :) it actually costs us to have them picked up and taken away :) so thus free.

I'll grab the model number when I get back.

Syonyk said:
No soldering directly to batteries? Good!

You do confuse amps and amp-hours throughout your post...

I'm surprised you're going with a 12V system, though. Most large packs run at higher voltages so you can put more power out. My office runs a 48V lead acid pack because I pull ~2kW from the system fairly regularly.

Ah yes mah and ma :)

Yeh if I can il be hunting down a 24v as this is what my solar regs can match to. But my use is low, I draw a constant 40w or so for my aquarium, PC stick and my Poe cameras. Spikes will be fridge and chiller, which are 130 amp spikes over 10 packs for a 13 amp max draw over 40 packs. So even at 12v I'm fine. Even if fridge and chiller compressors kick at the same time they run on their own inverter too.

Building a setup for heavy kW draw , I would have gone 48v :)

My system really will be for lots of small parasitic loads. But it all adds up,

If I can do 5kwh a day of use, it's equivenlant to 15 to 20 kWh feed in Tarif to the grid as we only see what 7c feed in and 30c a kWh to buy.

Proof is in the pudding, how much can thrash these packs.

Showing connections of the current 2.5kwh setup

93b5777b211023a47678cb3e81eb831b_zpsu26tlls1.jpg

d84cfd0c52f6ca6836a2c50ccfb868a2_zpsbvbgbsyz.jpg

I solder a couple of packs to keep the connectors aligned and attached. I may also so a non constructive tightner.

Back