2 wheel drive DH bike build (Delta/Wye Upgrade)

Two flats in two days on the back wheel. That's what I get for running that thin Continental tire without a liner. Although I do doubt it would have stopped the 3 inch long drywall screw from going through tire, tube, and both layers of the rim...

Screwed.jpg
The next night I hit a pile of debris on the shoulder and got a slow leak. The following day I went to see what I had run over and found a bunch of these.

ShotShell.jpg

I had seen them the might before but they looked like a bunch of scattered french fries on the road. :roll:

Ordered two BBQ thermometers off of Ebay that look like this. I'll put one in each of the Q85 hubs.

BBQthermo.jpg
Here's the info from the seller.

Feature

* Low battery consumption, high stability and accuracy
* Working Voltage: 1.5V (included)
* Temperature Resolution: 0.10/ ℉
* Accuracy: 0.0℃ to +80℃ ( ±1℃ or 2℉) , other range ( ±5℃ - 10℃ or 10℉ - 20℉)
* Measuring Frequency: 1 Sec,10 sec, sleep, auto select
* On/off, ℃/℉ and hold buttons.
* Length: Needle measures 15cm and the total length is 23cm

Major Functions Available:

* Measuring Range: -50℃ — + 300℃ ( -58℉— +572℉)
* Memory of last measure
* Low battery sensation and display
* 15 minutes auto shutdown for power saving (option)
* ℃ and ℉ display selectable

Packing

* 1 x Digital thermometer
* 1 x English manual
* 1 x 357A cell button installed
* 1 x Blue strap
* 1 x Plastic tube

Looks like it will be what I need even if the part about auto shutdown being an option I can turn off. Has way more temp range then I need. They were $6.59 each with free economy (very slow) shipping.

Gary

So does this hub use a 2-stage or 2-speed planetary/epicyclic reduction gear-train? The pictures seem to indicate this.

file.php

I guess you could call it 2-stage as the sun gear meshes with the outer larger nylon gears and the ring gear meshes with the smaller nylon ones. Definitely more reduction but not 2 speed. I wish somebody would make one.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I guess you could call it 2-stage as the sun gear meshes with the outer larger nylon gears and the ring gear meshes with the smaller nylon ones. Definitely more reduction but not 2 speed. I wish somebody would make one.
otherDoc

Yeah, I would call it 2-stage also. Here's a closeup of a planetary gear where you can see it's all one piece.

PlanetGears.jpg
The lower gear meshes with the sun gear and the upper gear meshes with the ring gear.

Looks like I need to clean and lube them before I reassemble it.

Gary

Got the BBQ thermometers a couple days ago. They look just like the one pictured in my earlier post about them.

Reading through the tiny instruction page there is no way listed to turn off the auto shut-off feature. So it doesn't seem to be an option after all. Also the instructions say 10 minutes instead of 15 on their Ebay page. Oh well, I expected that.

I can either wire into the on/off button with a momentary switch on the handle bars (most likely). Or find a way to disable or extend the time on. If it uses a resistor to set the time it might be easy to change.

They were very easy to take apart. There is an end cap that unscrews to access the battery, and the other end with the probe also unscrews. Although the probe end had a drop of glue holding it on it was quite easy to undo.

Now I can install the sensor in the front hub and finish the wiring.

Gary

I was stopped at a light a few days ago and noticed the pedals didn't feel right. I looked down and there was some slack in the chain. I assumed it was just off a sprocket and jammed somewhere.

I got off the bike for a closer look and realized that the chain was now missing some links so I pulled it off and stuck it in my jacket pocket. Good thing I have a hub motor or I would have been walking to the bus stop.

Bet you can't tell which is the new chain.

OldandNewChain.jpg
2200 miles of pedaling and 6000 miles of just hanging off the sprockets finally did it in. I've been pretty lax on maintaining it since adding the motors though.

Pedals much better now...

Gary

GrayKard, you have PM from me.

Back