2012 Pikes Peak, 3rd Place, my experience

itchynackers

100 kW
Well, I finally went off the deep end with this e-bike thing. After a couple years of collecting knowledge here, I decided I would try entering the 2012 Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb Challenge. The goal was simply to make it to the top. The result was a 3rd place finish out of 400 riders. First and second place went to the factory FFR trikes group… http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41693

Congrats FFR! I ended up being the first bicycle to the top! Way beyond my expectations!

The bike setup:
2011 Trek 3700 disk
Motor:
9c 2810 motor purchased from Methods
My motor upgrades:
10awg Teflon phase wires installed
30awg Teflon hall wires installed
Temp sensor installed
Windings coated with VHT high temp brake caliper epoxy
Hub cover sealed with high temp silicone sealant
Controller:
Lyen 18 fet 4115
Battery:
30s 12ah lipo pack charged to 4.15v/cell

Cycle Analyst: set to a maximum current of 23 amps
Tires: Specialized Armadillo

Some pics at the bottom of the hill:
Arriving at the race 5am, not quite awake:
2012-07-14adampikes18.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes23.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes24.jpg

No spandex, just a t-shirt!
2012-07-14adampikes27.jpg

An optibike competitor:
2012-07-14adampikes29.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes30.jpg

How does this helmet work?
2012-07-14adampikes32.jpg

A view of Pikes Peak from the start line.
2012-07-14adampikes32a.jpg

The course map:
2012PPIHCMap-1.jpg

At the start with more Opti’s.
2012-07-14adampikes34.jpg

More crazies stacking up at the start line:
2012-07-14adampikes36.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes39.jpg

And they’re off!!
2012-07-14adampikes42.jpg

On the course:
2012-07-14adampikes02-1.jpg

Trying not to fly off the cliff:
2012-07-14adampikes01-1.jpg

The finish line:
2012-07-14adampikes17.jpg

A pic of my CA data (after I rode a bit at the top to cool down) I actually used 1009wh and closer to 80wh/mile
2012-07-14adampikes13.jpg

On the surface of the moon with my bike:
2012-07-14adampikes16.jpg

At the top with 4 of the optibike riders:
2012-07-14adampikes15.jpg

Opti’s and FFR’s, oh my.
2012-07-14adampikes11.jpg

The bike on top, water bottle unopened:
2012-07-14adampikes10.jpg

Summit sign:
2012-07-14adampikes09.jpg

A view from above:
2012-07-14adampikes08-1.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes06-1.jpg

Oh yeah, I still have to go down, ugh.
2012-07-14adampikes04-1.jpg

After the descent in my cold weather gear:
2012-07-14adampikes48.jpg

2012-07-14adampikes49.jpg

Posing with the bike:
2012-07-14adampikes51.jpg

After waking up at 3:45am and driving out to the start line, it was still dark out. Many times that morning, I was wondering what the hell I was doing here. This is nuts. You could die, be mamed, crippled, mangled, smashed, bloodied, or all of the above. Not letting that deter me, I get the bike ready. I have power, check. CA set to 23 amps, check. Helmet, gloves, check. Make my way to the start line, check. The 2 minute warning sounds and I’d better turn on the Ipod to get the race video. Apparently I haven’t practiced this enough, because I can’t get the video recording to start. Oh well, no time now.
(Race starts)
I ease into the throttle, and still pull a bit of a wheelie, oops. Optis and FFR’s everywhere, better not hit them. The opti’s take a quick lead, and I tuck in behind 2 of them at about half throttle. The FFR’s make their way to the front. 2 miles in, and the FFR’s have a couple football field lead. I’d better make a move. So after drafting the opti’s, I ease past them. This is where my game plan went out the window. I had planned to just pace the opti’s to the top, then make a move at the end. I never was a good planner. I set full throttle and use all the 23 amps. Now I’m opening up a decent lead on the opti’s, thinking that I’ll probably burn up the motor further up the hill. Oh what the hell. I stay in the throttle hoping to catch up to the FFR’s. No such luck. Every time there is a hair pin corner, I have to hit the brakes hard and slow down. This is where the FFR’s open more of a lead on me. It is becoming apparent that I probably won’t catch them. Better focus on just making it up the hill. I remember that I probably should keep an eye on the temp gauge. At the start, my motor was at 4C. Now I’m heating up a bit. By the 6 mile mark, I’m at about 80c. I’m starting to wonder if I will fly off the cliff in a ball of flaming hub motor. By this time, I had opened up a good lead on the opti’s. My lungs are burning, my guts are aching, and I have cotton mouth. The pain is taking a toll. Apparently, I’m not in as good of shape as I thought. At this point I have to tell myself to ease up, or I’ll fall over dead. The pain doesn’t really go away, so I swear at myself hoping this will help. It doesn’t. I try to take in some of the sites. After all, I’ve never been to Pikes Peak, and I’d like to see the views. This is a very bad idea. I realize this when I hit the 2 foot gravel strip, right before it drops off into oblivion. More swearing. I have to tell my self to focus. I realize I’m swearing at myself and think I may be getting delirious. Not good on the edge of a mountain. Motor temperature climbs to 115C at about the 9 mile mark. Uh oh. Luckily, there is a bit of a downhill section, maybe half a mile long. I’m in luck! I hit 46mph and watch motor temp decrease to 103c. At this point, I was pretty sure I was going to make it to the top! “Yes, keep pedaling damnit!” I see the last switchback curve and round it. The finish line approaches. I fly through the finish with a smile. I slow and ride around a bit to cool the motor down. After making my way back to the finish line, I see the FFR guys and go over to congratulate. They do the same. Great guys. We talk for a bit, and watch the optibikers finish. I think they were the next four riders. We all talked and admired each others’ rides. After about an 45 minutes, the FFR guys started down the hill. I left shortly after and caught them part way down. I followed for a few miles while we passed all the other riders still heading up the hill. The FFR guys were cheering on EVERY rider we encountered. What a class act! FFR pulled off to talk to some riders, so I pushed on. After I was sure I had passed all the pedalers, I opened up the throttle (yes down the hill). I hit 50.8mph at one point. A bit careless with hairpin turns, but you only live once, right? I fly back through the start line and check my regen stats. I had regened about 100wh back down. Battery was still at 3.72v/cell, cool. And that’s it! I packed up the bike and went to an early breakfast with the family in Manitou Springs. What a great experience. If any of you home e-bike builders get the chance, do it! It’s an experience you won’t forget. I’m certainly proud to have brought the e-bike title back to Endless Sphere. Couldn’t have done it without all the help from you guys!

Thanks,

Adam

... I was wondering what the hell I was doing here. This is nuts. You could die, be mamed, crippled, mangled, smashed, bloodied, or all of the above.
You sir, are a steely-eyed missile man, made from the right stuff.

Loved it! Great job!

Adam. You've made ES history! The first ES member to make it to finish the Pike's Peak Challenge! I know you won't be the last.

Finishing 3rd is fantastic! You were only slightly behind the FFR trikes and to be the first bike and ahead of the Optis should inspire lots of ESers to participate next year and make more history!

Ambrose
(thanks for all the pix too)

liveforphysics said:
Loved it! Great job!
Luke, you have GOT to participate in this race next year! :D

Kick Ass!!!! Thanks for the write-up..felt like I was there with you. I've got the same motor from Methods on the back of my Yuba Mundo...can't imagine pushing that up a 14'er. I wish I caught that you were going, I would've loaned you a couple of GoPros.

Glad you survived the altitude...14k is a bitch for us sea levelers....I get winded riding DH bikes at 11k in the resorts. Congrats on a proper eBike win!

Good job man!

In my book Itchy, you won. You were the first bike to the top. Not to take away from the trike guys but they are (should be) in a different class. Call it a victory my man, call it a victory!

You make this ES hacker/tinkerer proud to be a member !!!

Great stuff, and +1 for the T shirt against the Lycra ....Style ! :wink:
Would i be right in thinking that without the oil in the hub, it may have been a different result ?
But i know lots of other work went into making that a winning set up.

Excellent, thanks for sahring the experience!.. it was a pleasure to read!

I wold really love joining you guys in the US to do these races!!!

I wonder how my Giant with the modified 5400 motor and kelly would do!... Btw the 5400 stay really cold compare to the 5300 !

Doc

Awesome write up. Great story. I am so happy and impressed with what you accomplished.

KickAss your family must be proud.

ambroseliao said:
liveforphysics said:
Loved it! Great job!
Luke, you have GOT to participate in this race next year! :D

If somebody puts something together to get my bike from California to Colorado and back to California, I will so happily fly in and race, and fly home. :)

Great job, Adam, really good result.

Looking at the FFR trikes video of the race it looks like trikes are always going to have an edge on those hairpin bends over a bike, one case where three wheels might just be better than two.

I guess we could say that ES sort of dominated this race, as I believe the FFR's were running Matt's drive unit.

Well done, Itchynackers. Nice to know the regen did it's job, keeping the brakes from being overworked. 8) 8)

What an excellent write-up of a most excellent adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Hats off to you, what a success! And, I agree with the earlier comment about you "winning" the race being the first two-wheeler of the finish line. Very jeolous of your achievement.

WELL DONE! Especially for showing up after all the uncertainty of the event taking place at all, ebikes being still welcome, etc. :mrgreen:

We knew damn well any decent hubmotor kit with enough battery added could still beat the Optibikes, and you proved it. Nice. Not knocking the opti at all, they are very very nice bikes. But there are cheap ways to climb a pretty steep hill. You can do 10 miles of 10% on just about any humbotor kit if you pedal some.

Sounds like you were enjoying the hypoxia pretty good there. 8)

That was great! You were the first 2 wheeler to finish so technically you won your class. Those trikes are in a class of their own which ,unfortunately is the reason that recumbents are banned from racing. They are just much faster, especially with aero.
otherDoc

itchynackers, since you limited the amps to 23, would a 12-FET have been adequate for shorter hills? and since you were using the 18-FET, did that allow the controller to run cooler per a given load?

Also, (if you don't mind) where could I order small lots of the 10-AWG / 30-AWG teflon insulated wire? and which temp sensor do you recommend?

edit: looks like you had your son with you? if yes, these are memories he will never forget!...

Thanks Guys!
Seriously, if I can do it, then anyone here can do it. I'm just a part timer with enough crazy in me to attempt it. Knowing what I know now, I would have upped the amps a bit more, maybe to 25-26 (3000watts) and given it a go. I can't say for sure, but I believe without the fluid in the hub, I may have overheated. My only experience is that I have a 2808 motor with drilled covers, and it seems to heat quicker, get hotter, stay hot longer. But again, I haven't done any real comparison testing (same route, same motor wind, same watts).

spinningmagnets said:
itchynackers, since you limited the amps to 23, would a 12-FET have been adequate for shorter hills? and since you were using the 18-FET, did that allow the controller to run cooler per a given load?

Also, (if you don't mind) where could I order small lots of the 10-AWG / 30-AWG teflon insulated wire? and which temp sensor do you recommend?

edit: looks like you had your son with you? if yes, these are memories he will never forget!...

A 12 fet should be fine. I have one on my other bike and its been flawless. It is a 4110 fet, and my kid rode the same 100km route with me a month ago, and the efficiencies were the same (within a 10wh of each other).

The only thing I changed with the controller, was to drill two 1/2" holes in the end plate. I'm not sure if it helped, since I forgot to check the temp of my controller at the top. I'll probably tape over those holes now for my Wisconsin flatlander rides.

I just ordered both the 10awg and 30awg from a guy on ebay. I've done two motors now with that, and I ordered from the same guy. The temp sensor I use on both bikes is this one... http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=949
I just siliconed the sensor against the windings right between two of the phase terminations. I thought that would probably be the hottest spot. I clipped ran 7 of the 30awg wires through the axle. 5 for the halls, 2 for the temp sensor. I just hooked up a tiny 9v battery to it on the handlebars.

Ya, my son was there. No matter how many of my friends tell him the amazing things I've done since I was 5 years old, he doesn't believe them because he didn't see it. Maybe now he will believe me.

Adam

Back