4 day Giant Revive RC build for my wife.........

Very nice work as we have come to expect from you SiR...May i make a tiny suggestion if not too late, have a small scripted 'e' in front of the "Hot Rod" so e-HOT ROD ? Just a thought...Either way your lady will LOVE her new ride :)

KiM

Here are the final pics (untill I get the battery box done, anyway).

Kim, I actually considered it. But, most people would not know what that means. So, I decided to go with this. :)

All that is left is to order two more packs and a box from Mouser. Oh, and I have to run a longer brake cable to the rear caliper. But, all in all, I believe I can say it is good enough for my wife to see when she comes home tomorrow.

I am exhausted............

Matt

Attachments

• hotrod1.jpg
    hotrod1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,834
  • hotrod2.jpg
    hotrod2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,836
Amazing work!

Looking at the belt in the picture got me an idea. There might be instances on other projects that belt wrap around the small pulley might not be enough. Normally just one tensioner is used. Two tensioners (one on each side) might be better in such cases because then the belt wouldn't have to bend back as much.

Number of teeth engaged is important. This setup has 6 teeth engaged on the motor pulley. That is more than enough for the power this system will see. I have one idler on a trike that provides 11 teeth of engagement. That setup (with the same belt) tolerates 8kw without any problems at all. But, the idler does reduce efficiency somewhat due to the backbending and friction. It does not kill efficiency, but it does reduce it somewhat. Right now I am developing a V4 reduction system that uses a longer motor plate, larger diameter secondary pulley, 20mm wide belt rather than this 15mm wide belt, and a polychain tooth profile for greater torque handling. This new reduction system should be good for 10kw without an idler. However, for this particular build, the bike will be setup for 1,000 watts to 1,500 watts. I will set the clutch to slip at that point. It is also setup for 20mph. I want to be sure it is safe and very easy to ride for my wife. I also want to maximize range for her to reduce overall system weight (less battery). That will allow much better pedal performance for when she wants to ride without electric power. I think I will setup the battery box for extremely easy removal to allow her the chance to remove the box easily and reduce pedal only weight even further. The last thing I want to do is reduce her interest in riding because it is too heavy to ride as a pedal only bike. That would defeat the object. The whole point to this build is to encourage her to go on the long rides I take my kids on. We go on 15 to 20 miles rides frequently throughout the summer (no electric bike, just pedal bikes). But, my wife will not go with us because she will never be able to handle that distance. That is not because of being out of shape, only, but also because of a health issue she has. This bike will open up a new world to her and (I hope) encourage her to take out the bike frequently. Therefore, I will build the box to be easily removable, easy to activate (big ignition switch that is easy to operate), easy to charge (simple plug in Zivan charger), easy to ride with the slipper clutch and modest power system that is not intimidating to ride, and overall reliable system that can be trusted. :)

My personal opinion is that E-bikes are the perfect platform to encourage those with health challenges to get out and be active. No other technology has the traits that an E-bike has to accomplish this and no production E-bike can do what we home brew builders can in certain respects.

Plus, I think it will speak volumes to her that I am willing to take what knowledge I have gained, sacrifice my personal time, and provide her with something that will benefit HER not me. :)

I get tired of my friends complaining about their wives. They have their hobbies and their wives have theirs. I would rather encourage my wife to spend as much time with me as I can. So, I spend time with her as she works on her own hobbies and I have been trying to find a way to get her somewhat interested in mine. I think this is a step in that direction.

Matt

I don't see how your work on this won't give her a very nice feeling. :)

I can relate to the health challenge problem of getting out, plus modern approaches to life that I disagree with, like over-use of automobiles. I want to get my next ebike onto the road pretty soon.

I get tired of my friends complaining about their wives. They have their hobbies and their wives have theirs. I would rather encourage my wife to spend as much time with me as I can. So, I spend time with her as she works on her own hobbies and I have been trying to find a way to get her somewhat interested in mine. I think this is a step in that direction.
:mrgreen:

I love this build! I don't know if its the bike, the drive, or the amount of thoughtful you're putting in, but it's awesome!

I'm trying to sell my wife on this exact idea. No way she can keep up with me, especially on the hills. This is a bummer for family outings. She has some assist and gets a workout, I get a workout, we get there fast, everyone is happy! Her biggest block right now is that she complains that the seats are uncomfortable. That giant semi-recumbent looks pretty damn comfy. I hadn't considered trying to get her directly into a recumbent-type bike to get past the block. Hmmm...

You'll have to take a picture somewhere on your first successful family jaunt, it would be great to see all those smiling faces!

This makes me wonder if we should have a "Build of the Year" contest? I'd totally vote for this one.

I don't know if she'll be happiest when she sees it, or happiest a month later when she sees what she can do with it! Way to go dude.

Katou

Well, my wife is home now. :)

She looked at the bike and didn't say much (she is a very slow to react person). After we unpacked the car, she took it for a pedal ride (still no battery pack on it). She wanted to make sure it was still easy to pedal and ride around with the weight of the drive. I told her I would make the battery and controller box very easy to remove to take the weight of that part of the system off for normal riding if she prefers. She was happy to hear that. I asked what her impression was and she said "I thought you told me this was an impossible bike to convert?" So we talked about that. Then she said it pedaled fine. The only thing she noticed was the clicking of the E-side freewheel while pedaling. So, she is OK with the molestation of her precious bike, so far and there is no power to it yet. That is good news! I promised I would finish it by the end of the week. My box from Mouser should be in by then and I will order more packs Monday.

Oh, I bought this bike for her, to begin with, because she hated the standard bike seats. :wink:

Matt

Here are a couple pics of the completed bike. The box on the rear contains 4 packs, controller, throttle interface, and all related wiring. There is on 3 pin Anderson connector, one 2 pin Dean's Ultra, and one 4mm bullet connector that need to be disconnected, then the Velcro strap comes off and the box lifts off the bike. I timed it at 10 seconds to remove the box and 15 seconds to install it. :)

We went for a 4 mile ride today with the kids. My wife was the only one on an E-bike. Needless to say, she made more headway than we did.

The bike averaged 10.5wh per mile, but she did pedal a bit of the way. I would bet 14wh per mile would be normal without any pedaling.

So, I keep hearing about the EV grin. Well, let me tell you, my wife has it BIG TIME! A number of times she blew past me with the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen! My wife is a very reserved person. She is not much of a smiler and is not very verbal (she is more of a thinker). Anyway, every time she hit the throttle she grinned from ear to ear. That made it all worth while!

When I asked her if this will increase her interest in going for long bike rides, her response was "This is not bike riding!" :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to doing more bike rides with her. Her pack should be good for 35 to 40 miles of riding if she does her typical pedal for a while, then use the motor for a while, style of riding.

Man, this feels weired. I currently have 4 E-bikes and they are all in working condition!

Matt

Attachments

• giant2.jpg
    giant2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,737
recumpence said:
So, I keep hearing about the EV grin. Well, let me tell you, my wife has it BIG TIME! A number of times she blew past me with the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen! My wife is a very reserved person. She is not much of a smiler and is not very verbal (she is more of a thinker). Anyway, every time she hit the throttle she grinned from ear to ear. That made it all worth while!

That made me smile reading it Matt! i'm rapt the lil lady loves
the bike too it does indeed make it all worth while don't it!

KiM

So, I asked my wife at a deeper level what she thought of the bike last night. She is non-verbal. So, it is tough sometimes to get an answer without just waiting for her to feel like telling her thoughts. Anyway, when I asked what she really thought of the bike now that she has had time to think about it, she responded, "Well, I learned NOT to hit the throttle in a corner." So we talked about motorcycle dynamics a bit. Then she said, "Man, my legs are sore, my triceps are sore, my butt is sore....." etc. My response to that was to tell her that, though she thinks she did not get a workout because the bike was doing all the climbing (and some other running besides), she was indeed getting a workout! :wink:

At any rate, I am excited to see what this summer holds for us and our bike riding. Heck, our family of 5 could ride E-bikes together. I have 4 that are running right now that we can share and our 7 year old could ride in the Burley trailer behind my Catrike. :mrgreen:

Matt

Awesome,

Awesome,

Awesome!

That smile is payback for everything, and then some.

I hope I'm half as successful getting my wife bit by the 'bug!

Major props here,

Katou

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the props, guys. Do not hesitate to give constructive criticism, though. I am willing to listen and make changes if needed. :)

Anyway, I am looking forward to better weather so we can go out riding again.

Matt

Okey doke. Improvement: Belt and chain guard. Given it's single speed on both powered sides (one belt, one chain) it would not be a big deal to build something to hide both sides.

For you, no big deal. For someone not entirely comfy with the idea of multi-hp belt drive 12" from their bum... Plus, if she wears anything loose... eek.

Your drive is now quite refined, so there's no major improvement there. The mount for the motor is excellent. The electronics are nicely boxed in. The guards would make it more stealth, but would that be a plus for her?

Other misc ideas:
a small amount of cargo capacity?
hitch to take the trailer?

I thought about what I would want for my own wife, and these are my best ideas. Hope they help.

Katou

Hi Matt,

Cool Build! I also run an Electric Revive with a Crystalyte 405 front hubbie, and I love it. My setup uses about 6 wh/mi cruising at 20 mph, no pedaling. I gained a lot of efficiency when I replaced the cheapo rear wheel with a hand-built bmx hub and double-walled rim.

My only complaint is the amount of weight on the rear wheel. With a rear mounted bty pack, the Tail really wags the Dog! I have thought about inserting LiPo bricks into the box-section of the Revive steel frame.

What do you think of this idea? Safe, feasible?
--
Cheers,
holocene

Good suggestions.

I am, indeed, looking at guards both for safety and to shield a bit of the sound. It is quiet for the most part. But, any decrease in output sound is a welcome thing.

I agree about the rear weight bias. This thing is rear end heavy. However, in our case, the handling is wonderful. So, I had not considered changing the weight distribution.

Yes, rear wheel makes a big difference in efficiency on a bike with alot of weight back there. I need to add air to her rear tire. It sits a touch low when riding. That is eating some energy.

Matt

The bike is getting a workout lately. My daughter rode it a few miles and my wife is enamored with this thing. I am thrilled she likes it and it is getting used. :)

We are planning a family ride this Saturday to another town. It will be about 10 miles. She would never had done that ride before. But, now she is looking forward to it.

Matt

Yes, it is, now, sporting a 8 turn 3210. So, now it runs 28mph.

My wife and daughter ride it. The bike has been 100% problem free. It gets ridden 10 to 11 miles at a time, typically.

This is the most utilitarian bike I have ever built. It is wonderful.......

Matt

Good Job Matt! :D

Way to share that EV grin! I think you have the right idea with that Revive, I think more people are willing to try a semi-recumbent VS a full recumbent, and for some things I agree they are more practical.

How is your Rans CF bike treating ya? I'm hoping to test ride something like that, might be best of both worlds for some, I also like how the Revive lends it's self for adding on a mid-drive! I knew they had all that extra space above the swing arm for SOMETHING!! :mrgreen:

I love the Rans. Actually, my wife loves the Rans too. She has taken it as her own. :) It is a pedal only bike and will remain that way.

I finally had my Rans dealership approved and I already have a sale of one pedal only bike. I hope to order a relatively basic Rans crank forward bike to electrify over the winter. This seems to be the perfect bike to convert. My drives bolt directly on without any modification.

Matt

Back