48V 1000W DD Merax Electric Bike Project

I have decided to use fiberglass or aluminum stock to make side panels to keep the battery in place. I hope to use aluminum stock because it will be lighter. I will the drill two or three holes in the frame to bolt the two side panels onto the bike, that way they are removable. I will use bolts and wing nuts to make the teardown easy. I will use weather stripping that you typically put onto doors to help provide cushion between the frame and panels so there will be no rattling while driving. I hope to get the panels painted the same color as the bike, but I will use black or white if I have to. Maybe white because the shocks are that color.

I have finished making the stencil out of poster board and wrapped it in duct tape so it does not get damaged easily. It is a 1:1 size, so it is actual size for simplicity. All I have to do is trace the outline of the stencil onto the material I want to use, then cut out the side panels. I will be adding pictures of the stencil as soon as I get home from work.

The open space is for the battery. It is just for reference. There will be an enclosed compartment there. That cut out area will stick outwards 1.5 cm on each side.

I have decided to skip the side panel Idea and put the battery on the rear rack in a battery bag. I have ordered a rear rack bag that will fit my battery from amazon. Will post pictures when installed.

Also, I have moved the controller to the underside of the rack and re-routed the wiring. I will be putting the battery on top of the rack in a battery bag. I might also add a second small capacity water bottle battery fro emergency usage. Also I am going to get a 48V 20Ah battery once my old e-bike sells. I hope the new one doesn't sell too soon, I still need it to get to work. :D

I got the replacement charger. This one works. I am charging my bike up to drive it to work this afternoon.

Attachments

• Optimized-WP_20170503_09_35_46_Pro.jpg
    Optimized-WP_20170503_09_35_46_Pro.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 952
I am still waiting for the bag I ordered to put the battery in, so I just tied down the battery for now. Hence the layer of foam and duct tape on the battery for protection.

Attachments

• 51gsFYHliaL._SL1500_.jpg
    51gsFYHliaL._SL1500_.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 553
Optimized-WP_20170504_16_52_03_Pro.jpg
Optimized-WP_20170504_16_52_13_Pro.jpg
Optimized-WP_20170504_18_32_28_Pro.jpg

**Update** I am at 42 Miles on my bike now. I finally got the new metal cranks installed. The old ones were plastic. I also installed the pedal assist sensor and ordered new brake calipers. I wanted to replace the brake pads with something less noisy, but the bike shop could not find any for the generic calipers that I had. So I had them order me two BB5 mechanical brake calipers for $60.

Hi Ronnie,
Nice pictures, I'm also considering doing a rear hub build, and I coincidentally came across a secondhand Merax bicycle just like yours!
Can you give us some info on where you ordered the different parts from? Motor, controller battery etc.

Also, how is the build holding up? What kind of range do you get at different speeds?
How is the 1000W motor in terms of weight? Is it still nice to cruise at lower speeds, say 15mph, or too overpowered for that?
I'm asking because I was thinking of getting a 1000W rear hub and tuning it down to 500W 15mph for commuting, and then up for occasionally having fun.

Thanks,
Nez

Back