48v Adjustable (97% 90% 80% and storage charge) (1AMP to 3.9AMP) Fanless waterproof ebike charger £50 Probably the best quality charger for the price

I went looking for a dependable quality charger for a good price a while back and couldn't find anything suitable as discussed here, Link: Please help find the elusive ebike charger

So I made my own....

Just thought other folks might want them too so I've started assembling them to a high standard.

£50 posted to anywhere in the UK including fees.

Can post anywhere in the world too as it can handle any AC voltage and frequency with the appropriate plug adapter or straight up mains lead replacement, but would have check postage.

If you cannot find the adaptor from XT60 to the connector needed for your battery then I can order in what is needed and solder them up for the cost of parts. Just ask on the thread.

XHuwAm8.jpg

L4TVcCw.jpg

abQeSwB.jpg

uQxAa9U.jpg

48v ebike battery charger fanless silent waterproof, charge level adjustable to 90% 80% 50% ect.

3.9 Amp 48v lithium ion charger suitable for battery packs consisting of 18650 cylindrical style or similar li-ion cells with a max voltage of 4.2v per cell in 13s configuration.

Massively extends battery life
With the ability to be adjusted to charge your battery to only 90% 80% and 50% storage charge, the life of your expensive battery packs can be greatly extended.

Charging your battery to only 80% and not discharging below 20% may double the total mileage you can get out of your batteries before wearing them out.

The charge rate is also fully adjustable from 1A up to 3.9A so you can fast charge when needed yet also slow charge to further increase battery longevity.

Fanless
No fan to fail, extreme reliability and long lasting with a 7 year warranty included.

Silent
Not reliant upon fans to remain in an optimal operating temperature, perfect for charging the battery of your commuter ebike at work without disturbing you or your colleagues.

Reliable
At the heart of this charging system is the well known and highly renowned Meanwell HLG-185h-48a constant current, constant voltage power supply.
Shock proof, vibration proof and waterproof this beefy fully potted unit is rated for over sixty thousand hours of operation at 3.9 Amps

PDF Datasheets with further details on this superb powerhouse are easily found online through web search.

Combined with no fan to fail unpredictably and cause destruction through overheating, this will likely be the last 48v ebike charger you will ever need to buy.

Safe
The HLG-185h-48a has been chosen specifically due to its maximum voltage being incapable of exceeding the voltage required for fully charging a 48v 13s li-ion battery based on 18650 and similarly rated cells, hence incapable of overcharging your battery.

Waterproof
Suitable for use in humid outdoor environments and can even be fitted directly onto your bike if needed, without fear of damage from rain or water spray.

Notes:

To adjust settings, remove the two black rubber plugs and use a small screwdriver to rotate the internal dials.

Observe the LCD and adjust the voltage (vo adj) for the desired corresponding charge level without a battery connected.

53.98v = 97% (impossible to charge over 100% so completely safe even if the batteries BMS malfunctions and fails to cut off after the battery is fully charged)

52.78v = 90%

51.74v = 80%

50.96v = 70%

50.31v = 60%

49.65v = 50%

Adjust amperage (lo adj) after connecting battery, 1A by default. Do not adjust the amperage above 3.9A as this may reduce the lifespan of the unit.

Every 10 charges you should fully charge your battery to 95%+ as some Battery management systems do not balance your cells below 90% charge.

Fitted with XT60 connectors, adaptors for which can easily be found to convert to almost any other connector.

2 metre mains lead, 1.5m charge lead.

The charger itself is completely waterproof and the mains plug has been treated with CorrosionX dielectric grease to resist corrosion.
However the LCD screen unit used to monitor adjustments is NOT waterproof, after adjusting to the desired settings it will need to be disconnected and stored appropriately if using the charger where exposure to moisture may occur.

If exposed to water, ensure the exterior of the mains plug is wiped dry before use.

Last edited:
spinningmagnets said:
Well done. I like the whole idea.

Yeah, to be fair you fellas on the forum gave me the idea, folks are having a lot of issues with the chinese specials and there's not much in the way of good charger options so thought I'd give something back to the community 👍

For those foolhardy enough to walk away leave it charging unattended

is there a circuit to terminate charging once Full is reached?

Or does it just keep the PSU output open even after current is approaching zero until the user unplugs manually?

I have the 54v 320w version of this set to charge at 58V; slightly more than 4.1V per cell. It’s rock solid and I have been using it for years on various batteries. I also use a similar inline wattmeter for info.

At lower voltage it stays at the max amps set (4.0 which is about the max of the battery charge barrel plug).

When it approaches the terminal voltage, the current drops off and after a while it drops to zero, so it’s safe to set and forget (although I would not leave any battery charging overnight)

john61ct said:
is there a circuit to terminate charging once Full is reached?

Or does it just keep the PSU output open even after current is approaching zero until the user unplugs manually?
The max voltage output you can set is 53.98v, slightly below the max charge voltage of 54.60v for a 13s 18650 li-on battery pack

So as mentioned the current drops to zero and is incapable of raising the voltage any further, so it's as good as closed.

abQeSwB.jpg

(Voltage also confirmed with multimeter)

So if you were using LFP 48V at 16S

that would bring the cell voltage to 3.41 rather than the usual definition of Full at 3.45V

Good for longevity, would eventually get to 100% as current fell

but IMO adding a HVC would be better

So if you were using LFP 48V at 16S

that would bring the cell voltage to 3.41 rather than the usual definition of Full at 3.45V

Good for longevity, would eventually get to 100% as current fell

but IMO adding a HVC would be better
Bump, also to test the theory I left a spare battery hooked up to this for a week in the barbecue outside and the battery never exceeded the 53.98v the charger can output.

Bump, also to test the theory I left a spare battery hooked up to this for a week in the barbecue outside and the battery never exceeded the 53.98v the charger can output.
That will always be the case: the battery can never exceed the voltage of the charging source.

It could only exceed the charging voltage if the battery has a built-in DC-DC that converts the charging voltage to a higher voltage that then charges the battery...but then *that* would be the charging source, so the cells themselves would still never exceed teh voltage of the charging source.

Is this a single charger for sale or are you making these? Love the MeanWell stuff, would be interested in the 52V charger version!

Is this a single charger for sale or are you making these? Love the MeanWell stuff, would be interested in the 52V charger version!
I'm making them. Just in small numbers. The Cheapest 54V version suitable for 52V Li-ion batteries was £46 and it was only 40W Mean Well HLG-40H-54B, Constant Voltage Dimmable LED Driver 40.5W 54V 0.75A | eBay

If you can spend some time to find a cheaper and higher wattage one from somewhere I could buy it and make one up for you at cost of parts and postage.

Last edited:
Hello mate.

What is the weight pls?
How much is with shipping to Slovakia?

Back