• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

48v Hua Tong controller problem, throttle cuts out at 2.5v

HypnoToad

100 W
Ok, here's a photo of the label of the controller I'm using:

bamb1l.jpg

Now I'm guessing 1.1-4.2v is the throttle voltages?

The reason I ask is that my motor starts when the throttle is around 1.4v with quite a jerky start, and cuts out at 2.5v with a no load speed on the wheel of 18mph.

Now with my old controller the wheel used to have a no load speed of 30+mph, but that controller no longer works, hence the Hua Tong.

I should mention that I'm using a geared motor, an early Ezee unit which I believe is made by BMC, and I think has a 5:1 ratio.

Could it be that this controller is too slow for a geared motor? Has anyone else used a Hua Tong controller with a geared hub?

Finally I have access to an oscilloscope multimeter, would this help if I put it on the phase wires?

I can get a video of the motor cutting out if that would shed any light on this issue?

Finally is 50W during the no load speed considered normal? There's a change I may have the wrong hall/phase combo.

It's really hard to tell with a no load test. When I first hooked up my 72V 40A 1500W Hua Tong controller it seemed to run perfect with no load. Actually riding proved it to be wrong though. I could get prttey good speed, but it would cut out and shudder at about half throttle. So the phase/hall combo doesn't seem right to me.

I did try a few other phase and hall combos, but with a geared hub any bad combo doesn't work at all.

It seems that the controller doesn't seem to like the high RPM of my motor;
Today my ecrazyman controller arrived, I swapped out the Hua Tong controller for the Ecrazyman controller, the exact same halls and phase wiring, and everything works perfectly, right up to a no load speed of 30mph, and I took the bike out for a spin got 25mph so I'm happy with that from a 6fet.

To anyone which a geared hub, avoid the Hua Tong controllers if you can. :)

Throwing gears onto the motor makes no difference on how the motor operates. There is no standard for phase/hall wire colors. You can't connect a different controller to a motor using the same color code as the original controller and expect it to work properly. So just because you couldn't get it to work doesn't mean it won't work. My Hua Tong 72V 40A 1500W controller didn't work right either until I found the right wiring match up for the phase and hall wires. It has nothing to do with being a geared motor.

Hi, I have a Hua Tong 1500W controller hooked up to a c80100. It goes well but i'm also having problems getting the throttle to behave. It's as if it was made for a different spec throttle (though the lable says 1.1-4.2v. Mine kicks in at 1.35v and out the top at about 2v.
I tested the throttle and it works fine.
Did you find a fix for this?

It's possible you bought one with speed limiter enabled on the circuit board.

If it is enabled, I could test by connecting the low speed wire and see if anything changes. Hmmm I'm just not sure that this is what a low speed function would be like....it's kind of unusable. The range of operation is very narrow, but it is still possible to get what seems to be quite a decent amount of power.

I was just reading a thread about the HuaTong 1500w controller and it says
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31946&p=462789&hilit=huatong#p462789
And it says
speed control voltage :1.35 --- 3 .2 V, is less than 1.35V, PWM = 0%, greater than 3.2V, PWM to 100%.
Would that be normal?

Back