$619 for 48v 20ah lifepo4 with charger

morph999

100 kW
Has anyone seen this? This is the cheapest lifepo4 that I've ever seen. I'm $300 short of getting it right now, though. Can someone tell me if it's good or not? Will it handle a 35 amp crystalyte controller? (the 48v20ah version)

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=75

No BMS with that setup. That charger just pulse charges the batteries in the hope that they'll get balanced. But there's no low voltage cutoff, and if they get significantly out of balance, there's nothing preventing cell groups from getting way overcharged.

Get the cells for $129/4 and cherry pick your charger/bms setup. Should handle up to 60 amps, their larger cells do around the same C.

yeah I forgot about the BMS. I guess that's a problem unless someone has an easy answer. About balancing, couldn't you just charge one at a time? Wouldn't that balance them? So, wouldn't my Crystalyte LVC cutoff be enough to keep the lifepo4 from going bad? Or what if I bought a $100 cycle analyst and programmed it for a proper cutoff? With the $100 that I'd save, I might be willing to do that.

The c rate on those elites may not be as good as a headway, and so unsuitable for an x5 motor.

Granted I was asking for pricing on a larger pack, so there might be a slight difference in price per cell, but I was recently quoted $12.50/cell for a built pack. So about $400 for a 32 cell pack. $200 for express air shipping is still only $600 to your door. When I got cells shipped from them it took about 4 days. Of course, you still gotta add in the bms and charger.

Yes it's a little more expensive, but based on what I've read, they're better cells, will probably last longer and put out more power with less heating, and it comes with a BMS. How much was shipping for the elite power pack?

I'm looking forward to seeing DocBass test various cells this winter, then we'll really see how the newer Thundersky cells stack up in comparison, but we know the Headways are good cells.

dogman said:
.. unsuitable for an x5 motor.

The elites are only 3c but at 20ah thats still 60 amps, I would think thats enough. Sure the headways can do twice that, but these are cheaper.

Ypedal said:
Russell said:
julesa said:

Has anyone bought one of those yet? Anybody know what the full delivered price is (the website won't compute it)?

-R

Paid for mine on oct 9.... still waiting for tracking number... :(
Shipping was 95$ on a 48v 10ah to Canada... :?

More details once it arrives.. :wink:

Can't wait to see a real one up close and find out how you like it.

-R

Well.. kinda bummed out but got an email this morning to say it would only ship by the end of this week... :cry: ( This is " ok " but i wish they would advise instead of letting so much time elapse without feedback.. )

This is for a local friend who is buying my e-BMX, he may be riding in snow... :lol:

$12.50 a cell in packs for the headways sounds like a sweet deal, the shipping kind of ofsets it though, I wonder if a new group buy is in order?? I wonder what could be saved in shipping?

20X16package.jpg

I dont really know, but dont those LiFePo4s in the above cases (primatic?) have the BMS inside that housing? More often than not, I believe.

I don't think those have a bms. I belive they were developed with car starting in mind, like superlight starter battery for a race car. So they could be run without a bms as long as they weren't ground down to nothing starting. Race cars usually run good, and start right up. They might have a simple lvc on them I suppose.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't really specific in my post. I guess I got caught up in the fact that the posts I had just read were speaking of headways, so I continued the conversation without specifically stating headways. Yes, I was talking about Headways, not thunderskys. And that was a quoted price for a 72v40ah built pack. So, like I mentioned, the price per cell for a built pack of a smaller unit might be slightly higher. I really didn't find the shipping price to be that off setting. I mean, by the time you pay a 10% shipping fee from china to the US, and then another shipping fee from dealer to your home, the one time, super fast, shipping charge straight to your home isn't that bad. All customs and everything are included in that price.

you shouldn't waste good money on good cells like the headways if you intend to not use a BMS. better to just destroy something cheap in order to learn your lesson and save your money for when you finally get real and build it right the first time. imho.

I don't see it that way. IMO If you have a monitor during discharge (riding) and you have a decent balance charge setup, you could be alright without a BMS. Depends on the person and situation.

Without a bms, you better KNOW you have a full charge. One day you go off with less than that, and suprise! But yeah, if you could monitor each cell groups voltage, you could stop before one of them took a dive. Chances are, you'd react thousands of times slower than a good bms.

A lot depends on exactly what the use was too, on a drag bike you could most likely be sure a run wouldn't drain the pack. But on my daily 30 miles, I'm plenty glad I don't have to be watching a battery voltage monitor all the way.

julesa said:
I think Jay64 was talking about Thunderskys, not Headways.

I think he was actually talking about headways.... they're cheap to get via Victoria, but expensive to ship....but you get them fast.

todayican2 said:
$12.50 a cell in packs for the headways sounds like a sweet deal, the shipping kind of ofsets it though, I wonder if a new group buy is in order?? I wonder what could be saved in shipping?

Not sure about group buys in the process, but we've got headways in stock now.... essentially evcomponents took over doing the importing stuff so we could work together on bringing cells in.... without the terms of a group buy. Still about the same price.

Back