72v Magic pie 3 Lyen controller

Hello everyone! In the past I have received a lot of useful information off of this site and now I would like to give back a little. I have searched in the past of anyone doing a 72v magic pie 3 motor and could come up with nothing. I always see a lot of people running crystalyte motors and posting good stuff about them running on 72v, for this reason people go with what has been proven and tested to reach 40mph. A lot of people can't afford to try new projects. Luckily I am a golden motor dealer and can afford to mess around a bit. So this is for anyone with or interested in a magic pie 3 looking for more power.
So I put the magic pie 3 to the test. And what an animal she turned out to be. This is what it consisted of.

26" magic pie 3 rear
24 cells of headway 38120sp lifepo4cells
40amp Lyen controller
60amp/120amp bms
Upgraded wiring 10awg
2 rear torque arms (must have)

I had a townie 21d bike laying around and decided I would test it with the 72v. I have rode this bike before with 48v and rode like a dream. At first I was a little iffy about mounting on an aluminum frame but the bike is built like a house. Very solid and comfortable. So I took my chances and made it happen. The project took about a total of 12 hours with the battery build and everything else.
So I was ready to test. I will add that I previously built a 72v magic pie 2 and 72v crystalyte so I thought I had some type of grasp on what to expect. But how I was amazed by this motor. The torque was crazy. At 35mph and you twist the throttle just a little bit back you better hold on because it will pull you back. Now like I said before I have ran a crystalyte at 72v and the speed increases gradually. I would say it takes a good 25-35 seconds to reach about 40mph. The magic pie 3 I would say 10-12. Very high torque. Two torque arms are a must and very thick rear dropouts. The max speed I have gotten out of it so far is 42mph. I have still yet to program controller and all of that fun stuff.

I have some pictures that I am going to try and upload. I will take some more also soon. You can also see them on my website. Jsgreenmachines.com

Thank you and hope this answers some of your questions. If not please feel free to ask and will let you know.

Jeremy@jsgreenmachines

[youtube]rN8YfwFB61o[/youtube]

My race bike used a magic pie on ~115V in a 20" wheel.
Snellemin has a magic pie on 20-24S lipo.

Sorry but our search engine here sucks, so you didn't find these builds before. But you are on the right track :mrgreen:

Feed it more amps if you can. It loves being pushed :mrgreen:

I must caution you the magic pie 3 doesn't support above 63v because they are using internal controller due the internal controller capacitors limited at 63 volt. I do have magic pie 3 with 26 inches wheel.

Only way if you really want over volt the magic pie II with external version only and it will allow you to run external controller E.g. Lyen controller.

I should have gone get the magic pie II with external version but my fiancée doesn't want overvolt for more powerful torque or speeding. :lol:

Fairly sure he's not using the stock controller, but others could misunderstand, so good to make that clear.

What's your top speed? 40 mph club? Big rotors are the future, that's pretty clear. But if the spokes must be radial, that's a bit of a turn off for me.

I think neptronix has the solution for the Pie's. 10-12 seconds seems slow to get to 40mph. What happens up a 10% grade from a dead stop? I am not a fan of 20" bikes at this time in my life but I have to like neptronix theory here. Put it in a 20" rim and put on some adult diapers.

Thank you for your comments. Yes I am averaging max speed 42mph. Im a little guy weighing at 155. Yes I am using lyen 40amp controller. Chroot yes you are right, the mp3 will not function above 63v. Here are some pics of project.

Attachments

• 72v magic pie 3 1.JPG
    72v magic pie 3 1.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,201
  • 72 volt magic pie 3 2.JPG
    72 volt magic pie 3 2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,201
Great info Guys, cheers!
We are going to over-volt a 20" MP3 to 72v, and will use a Lyen controller.

We are converting a 20" Chopper (which currently has a hideous petrol motor on it), and am wondering if I should get the motor specially wound for higher top speed (as we have been getting some for recumbent racing).. This gives slightly lower torque than the standard 20" magic pie, which I feel has too much torque really even, at 48v. I feel ridiculous saying "too much torque" in this space actually - doh! But we want the rider to enjoy the electric version at least as much as the petrol version.. So top speed is important, looking for around 50km/h, but also decent take-off with about 140kg of weight.

I've been told we need to be careful of higher currents when over-volting? What should the maximum continuous and peak currents be at 72v?

Which is the best controller to use? We have the following types easily available to us:
EC124110-LYEN EDITION-12 x 4110 MOSFET Extreme Modder Controller LYEN Edition
EC093077 LYEN EDITION-9 FET 3077 Controller LYEN Edition

Thanks.. RevBecca

Back