Beware of flashing lights. See:
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU9qqUn8PNAhXKeD4KHWnPAxoQPAgD#hl=en&q=moth+effect+bicycle+light

Moth effect - Car drivers who are tired, drunk, etc. are attracted to flashing lights and drive into them the way a moth fly's into a light bulb. Happens with emergency vehicle lights.

Forget about the music. Listen to birds, traffic, people.

How fast are you traveling? Slower is safer.

Cell phone good to have after the accident.

I sometimes have to travel by ebike on a 4 lane road. No other road to get from point A to point B. Shoulder width varies from about 2 to 6 feet. Speed limit is about 50 MPH. Always ride on the right with traffic. If I ride on the shoulder, seems like I don't exist to cars and trucks. Bit disconcerting to have 60 MPH vehicles mirrors zooming past a inch from my shoulder. If I ride on the traffic side of the white line now I exist. Cars and trucks give me a half lane or more. Also I get flat tires from metal trash on the shoulder. Not sure if its safer to ride on shoulder, or traffic side of the white line? My speed is about 20 MPH.

I really only ride in the day. Great point though.

The Garmin Varia Rear radar has a solid pattern (optional blinky) that just gets brighter (maybe better than).

I did get the bike mirror...but any other new "tech" out there for bike safety?

Interesting comment about riding just inside the lane. Goes perfect with the good mirror, and the concept that no car overtakes you without you eyeballed it.

I've noticed the same thing, but if the shoulder is really wide enough, I'd rather just put another foot or two between me and the cars. Still eyball that car coming.

Tunes while you ride are nice out in the sticks, and the car count is low. In the town, listen for cars.

The helmet for me, is a device to make a boo boo more comfortable. You know, lay it down in the gravel oops, that sort of thing. I don't wear a helmet capable of saving my life if a car hits me, unless actually riding faster than 30 mph.

The California rules are pretty clear that you don't and should not ride in the shoulder, but should ride on the right side unless it's "not safe for the car to pass"
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl37

I actually thought I had to use crosswalks, so glad that the option #1 for left turns is legal.

This is where turn signals would help on the hemet. The gloves I have are to hard to operate while breaking (and need to have your thumb and forefinger pressed at the knuckle (hard to describe).

Maybe there is a way to add an visor to that turn signal helmet?...

Back