• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

A123 20AH cells source?

toolman2 said:
i can take pics if they were different in any way, but they are EXACTLY the same to look at as all the other pics of them that are everywhere, ive got others from cellman etc so as soon as a unwrapped it, im 100% that its not a fake, they are marked made in korea.

ill check the weight and a bit more load testing tomorrow. but its holding charge pretty good overnight, not a1 but not looking too bad a cell..

http://www.a123rc.com/goods-468-Excitingly+Powerful+A+123+PRISMATIC+CELLS.html See enlarged image on this page - "Made in USA". So I wanted to see your what is written.

stoiko said:
Please put real detail pictures of this battery. It`m made in USA or KOREA ?

He already said it says "made in Korea." The rep from OSN Power also told me they are made in Korea. It would be nice to find that source to save on paying the Chinese middleman. I assume these are B-grade cells.

my apologies stoiko, you are right, well spotted
wtf -are any of these cells really made in the usa?
i can see your point now too, it seems a bit sus. id best be just checking the cell in the morning, make sure im not smoking crack..

toolman2 said:
my apologies stoiko, you are right, well spotted
wtf -are any of these cells really made in the usa?
i can see your point now too, it seems a bit sus. id best be just checking the cell in the morning, make sure im not smoking crack..

That picture stoiko linked is just a stock photo from the A123 website. Only makes sense that they would promote themselves with a made in USA version. The made in Korea ones are still legit.

maxvdh said:
Thanks for the info. What about the mass discrepancy? Didn't A123 specify the mass of these cells to be 480g each and the website says 568 g? If these are good I'd be up for buying 500 or so for myself and anyone else who wants some (no group buy needed).

it is a little odd, it weighs 492.6g exactly, and i remember them being a bit less a year ago? and yep definetly korea.

FalconEV sells A123 20Ah flat cells for $80 /!!!!!/ dollars.
Call it what you want but the Falcon must be sure they are below 1miliOhms each one of them!!!
for such a price.
what do you think, look at FalconEV pictures, terminals are slightly different, I think they cells passed the A123 quality tests.
BTW fist time I am reading about LiFePo cells below 3V arrived with shipment.
MC

miro13car said:
FalconEV sells A123 20Ah flat cells for $80 /!!!!!/ dollars.
Call it what you want but the Falcon must be sure they are below 1miliOhms each one of them!!!
for such a price.
what do you think, look at FalconEV pictures, terminals are slightly different, I think they cells passed the A123 quality tests.
BTW fist time I am reading about LiFePo cells below 3V arrived with shipment.
MC
Buy a couple and check them out, Miro. ;)

A box of 2 unobtanium cells arrived yesterday. 1st cell weights in at 505 grams and measured 3.294 volts on arrival. It has the "made in USA" printing (not Korea) and looks brand new. More when I have done some charge / discharge cycles on the cells. I have not measured the second one yet.

Attachments

• a123Prismatic1sm.png
    a123Prismatic1sm.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,289
  • a123Prismatic3sm.png
    a123Prismatic3sm.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,289
auraslip said:
I like the idea of using motorcycle starting packs http://www.a123rc.com/goods-306-A123+132V9200mAH+Motorcycle+Start+Battery+12V92AH-4S4P.html

Cause they're easy to work with!

Made out of 16 cells ANR26650M1A, and you can buy 20 of them for that price.
23% more expensive then bare cells.
If you just need one or two, its acceptable, but if you want lots of them, I'd rather take 23% more cells.

Those motorcycle packs would certainly save a bunch of labor and no need to buy or build a decent spot welder. Plus I like that they are modular and come with balance leads so you could use them pretty much the way you would lipo, without any BMS. For about $600 you'd have a nice 48v/9.2 Ah lifepo4 battery capable of 30C discharge. You could buy lipo cheaper, but assuming this would have double the life and safer chemistry, it is pretty competitive over the life of the battery.

Interesting, the lot code, Batch#, and S/N indicates it's not that old... It's the real deal. Congratulations :)

Those motorcycle packs would certainly save a bunch of labor and no need to buy or build a decent spot welder. Plus I like that they are modular and come with balance leads so you could use them pretty much the way you would lipo, without any BMS. For about $600 you'd have a nice 48v/9.2 Ah lifepo4 battery capable of 30C discharge. You could buy lipo cheaper, but assuming this would have double the life and safer chemistry, it is pretty competitive over the life of the battery.

Yeah! That's why I think many people here like lipo packs so much... because the modularity.... We should should convince cell_man to make some of these packs for us :D

webfootguy said:
LiFe said:
Interesting, the lot code, Batch#, and S/N indicates it's not that old... It's the real deal. Congratulations :)

Any idea how to read the lot, batch# to get a mfg date?

yes, do tell.

and webfootguy, where did you get your cells from?

I saw the A123 20Ah cells on alibaba.com (for sale by OSN POWER TECH). I got a quote from them which was like $45 per cell but the shipping was the killer ($48 for 5 cells) and they wanted me to wire them the money (no credit card or paypal. No deal to a China company on this one from me).

I did a Google search on the exact model number. One of the links I found was to:

http://www.a123rc.com/goods-468-Excitingly+Powerful+A+123+20ah+PRISMATIC+CELLS.html

They had the same cells for $40 with free shipping (*and* they took paypal which affords a fair amount of consumer protection). I purchased 2 cells and waited the 2 1/2 weeks it took to get them from Hong Kong. Price has since gone up to $50 but it looks like the real deal. These must be from the new A123 plant in Michigan.

webfootguy said:
These must be from the new A123 plant in Michigan.
Ironic that we have to go through sellers in China to get stuff made in MI. :p

auraslip said:
@$50 a cell that's $0.78125 per wh.... that's around the price point of the 35-40c lipo.....

yep, and could be cheaper than many lipos when you add the freight -and the same wh per kg as lipo too, basicly wins on every count especially by haveing 10-20+ times the life.

ok webfootguy, now we do have an odd situation, my cell (from the same poeple a123rc) was marked up made in korea and yours usa, do they collect seconds from everywhere? allthough yours might not have the self discharge that mine does? can you charge it to 3.6v, hold it there for a good 1/2 hour+ (till the amps drop to .1a) then take it straight off the charger -good cells take overnight to get below 3.5v but mine from a123rc took 10 mins.

a123rc are now not responding to any of my 5 emails about larger numbers.. :roll:

Boy.
I am glad i set this in motion and nobody got boned on fake cells ( so far ) :lol:

Can't wait for further testing..

webfootguy,
if you can only measure internal resistance with Ir meter it would tell us immediately are your cells meeting QC requirements or not.
IR measurment tells all about cell.
BUT IF NOT WHAT IS VOLTAGE DROP under say 50A load, it also would tells us a lot.
They are cells for sure A123 but are they QC rejected?
That Falcon sells them for $80 is intriguing and curious.
On Falcon web site you can clearly see photo that they are below 1mohms.
MC

Back