addition of lights and usb charger

Noob questions:
Thanks for all the help on here everyone!

Does one of these lighting kits with the control boards for rc cars controlls the lighting function through the board? My ultimate goal was to be able to power the lights through my vesc and have working turn signals and head lights. Once they work I can switch them out for brighter lights. I have a torque boards mini controller and would like to have turn signals activated by the wheel that isn't used on the controller.

My other question is:
I see these usb charge port mods for Lipo batteries. Is it possible to integrate this into the circuit so that I have a working usb charge port on my board any time the battery is installed. Will my esc have to be on for this charge port to be functional?

I'm currently adding an lcd screen to check cells and battery voltage. I decided it was safer to remove the Lipo for charging and just screw my box back together rather than making a port to charge in the case. I figure I'd cut the power cable on my 6s extension and add a small switch that way it would activate a battery check only when you turn the switch on. I'll put up a full thread once I've finished the board and worked out the kinks.

Any and all help is sincerely appreciated! Thanks!

Here are some mods I tried:

1. Added a 9V Mean Well (that's a good brand, although chinese) wall wart. Designed for 120VAC, it works just fine on 72V, still puts out 9V regulated and runs some LED lites i hacked up. Been working for 2-3 years and 5000 miles.

2. Added a cheap charlie wall wart USB 5V power supply. Worked for about 6 months then failed. Designed to run at 120VAC, ran good on 72VDC but eventually failed. It was nice to be able to charge the phone while riding.

3. Tested every old wall wart laying about the junk box, to find that quite a few will run on 72VDC. Transformer wall warts will not.

Here are some mods that would work:

1. Add a DC-DC converter. These used to be expensive - now you can find them pretty cheap on Ebay $20-ish. If you are at 36V and need 5V or 12V this is a real possibility. Hack up a watertight case, deal with cooling (aluminum cases are your friend) and you are set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Step-down-LM2596-Power-Converter-Module-DC-4-0-40-to-1-3-37V-LED-Voltmeter-/221970563817 open frame, it will need a watertight case and heat management.

2. Just buy it from Grin: http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/dc-dc-converters.html and http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/lights.html these are insanely bright lights actually made to go on an Ebike. DC-DC converter s actually made to withstand the weather and the vibration on an E-Bike. Good stuff that win't quit on you.

I found a dc-dc converter on ebay that outputs 12 volts and 2 amps and will work from 36 to 90 volts in. That ought to do it! I have lots of LED lights on my scooter that all run off of 12 volts. Its easy to find lights that run off of 12 volts. It's much harder to find what you want that runs off of higher voltages.

Awesome thanks for all the help guys! This is what I needed I am almost sure. I will post a full thread upon completion.

So I got a listing kit off from RClighthouse for $30 off of amazon. It literally goes right in between the wires from your receiver to your ESC and uses that power to power the LEDS. Very bright too and with working brake lights! I will hold off on the USB charger until I get the other kinks worked out

backinblack626 said:
So I got a listing kit off from RClighthouse for $30 off of amazon. It literally goes right in between the wires from your receiver to your ESC and uses that power to power the LEDS. Very bright too and with working brake lights! I will hold off on the USB charger until I get the other kinks worked out

Ooooo good luck with that, but generally thats a big no no. Any voltage drop on the power supply going to the receiver can cause an intermittent loss of power.

Ride with safety gear. On planes and quads that kind of mod is known to cause crashes when the receiver looses power and the esc stops getting signal.

So it looks like the only way will be to use a separate DC to DC inverter and run it off of that.

I did not know that, and I already have 1 herniated disc so thats not a risk I am willing to take. Thanks for the recommendations guys! Great forum!

llile said:
Here are some mods I tried:

1. Added a 9V Mean Well (that's a good brand, although chinese) wall wart. Designed for 120VAC, it works just fine on 72V, still puts out 9V regulated and runs some LED lites i hacked up. Been working for 2-3 years and 5000 miles.

2. Added a cheap charlie wall wart USB 5V power supply. Worked for about 6 months then failed. Designed to run at 120VAC, ran good on 72VDC but eventually failed. It was nice to be able to charge the phone while riding.

3. Tested every old wall wart laying about the junk box, to find that quite a few will run on 72VDC. Transformer wall warts will not.

Here are some mods that would work:

1. Add a DC-DC converter. These used to be expensive - now you can find them pretty cheap on Ebay $20-ish. If you are at 36V and need 5V or 12V this is a real possibility. Hack up a watertight case, deal with cooling (aluminum cases are your friend) and you are set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Step-down-LM2596-Power-Converter-Module-DC-4-0-40-to-1-3-37V-LED-Voltmeter-/221970563817 open frame, it will need a watertight case and heat management.

2. Just buy it from Grin: http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/dc-dc-converters.html and http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/lights.html these are insanely bright lights actually made to go on an Ebike. DC-DC converter s actually made to withstand the weather and the vibration on an E-Bike. Good stuff that win't quit on you.
ElectricGod said:
I found a dc-dc converter on ebay that outputs 12 volts and 2 amps and will work from 36 to 90 volts in. That ought to do it! I have lots of LED lights on my scooter that all run off of 12 volts. Its easy to find lights that run off of 12 volts. It's much harder to find what you want that runs off of higher voltages.

Back