advertised powerful 10kw e-bike kit

Hi all, my first post.

An Australian based website Insane Electrics is offering e-bike DIY plug & play kits up to 10kw and 16kw w/custom frame option. Request for further details has been sent via the site & now waiting to hear back. I have searched this forum and www for references but no luck.

Are any ES members aware of site/kits?

Thanks
Pete

I saw this a few months ago. They actually have a 16KW bike now - WTF? Not sure that much power should be on a bicycle. I went to 3KW and destroyed my rim......wasn't the only rim that opened up when it split :oops:

Got a reply - they use cro mo and clyte and can do triangle batteries. Headway/Lipo/18650 (not sure type). In business for several years w/site 8 months old. I'm just surprised given power levels advertised and couple youtube vids that they appear under the radar especially on ES (using the search field).

WOW! crazy rim rip,first time ive saw that.

Prolly want to stay away from a company that inflates motor specifications by 3-5x. They've already lied to you right off the bat.

Otherwise, i got a 500 horsepower Geo Metro you might be interested in... :D

Neptronix,

Does innocent until proven guilty still apply in this world. Everyone is potentially lying if you look at things that way. Let the product do the talking not the hype. From a potential customer's perspective I hope your wrong.

Shock

hmmm, imma have to watch this thread... :twisted:

Buying such a kit would depend on whether or not you want an electric bicycle that you can pedal/throttle or an electric "motorcycle" capable of 40MPH+. If the latter, then you need motorcycle-like components: beefed up frame, tripler forks, motorcycle rims and spokes, and disc brakes of course. Throw in a large headlight since you will be able to surprise auto drivers with your speed so you want them to notice you.

Ghost (bike)rider said:
They actually have a 16KW bike now - WTF? Not sure that much power should be on a bicycle. I went to 3KW and destroyed my rim......wasn't the only rim that opened up when it split :oops:
Their claims are rediculously inflated, but yes if it was remotely true it would be VERY dangerous on bicycle frame.
But never mind that, how the hell did you do that to your rim ?!?!
Did you ride off a building and land on the edge of a giant sword ?
Unless it was a manufacturing defect to split a rim like and flare it out rather than taco it in I imagine you'd have to hit something very thin, dead square on...

shock therapy said:
they use cro mo and clyte
We know the cro motor can take some juice, but how do they claim to be able to deliver 16kw though a crystalyte controller ?? The largest they make is an 18 fet with 4110s. That means 100v max. Out of the box they do 60A but can be modified to do up to ~120A burst current. This is what I run on my own stealth fighter but that's right at upper limit of what it can do and I wouldn't have any expectation of reliability or longevity at this power level, nor would I give this to a noob.
All that aside, allowing for voltage sag the absolute max instant power you would see with this combo would be ~11,000w. In my setup with the above peak power was 9kw.

Disclaimer: I build high powered kits for others so take my comments with a grain of salt if you wish.
But you won't see me offering to make anything near this sort of claimed power level without a strong, purpose built ebike frame.

Ghost (bike)rider said:
I saw this a few months ago. They actually have a 16KW bike now - WTF? Not sure that much power should be on a bicycle. I went to 3KW and destroyed my rim......wasn't the only rim that opened up when it split :oops:

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I use an older steel rim I salvaged form a 30 year old mountain bike after bending an aluminum rim. The steel rim must weight at least 1 pound more. but boy are they strong.

shock therapy said:
Neptronix,

Does innocent until proven guilty still apply in this world. Everyone is potentially lying if you look at things that way. Let the product do the talking not the hype. From a potential customer's perspective I hope your wrong.

Shock

Not when a company's lies are so easily detected. People have bought, tested and used those motors extensively here. They know what they're capable of, and I'd take Neptronix's word over any website's any day of the week.

And watch it. After asking about a product in your first post, disclaiming any relationship to the company in your second post, getting an answer to your query on a Sunday in your third post, and defending them in your fourth... Well, to quote the bard "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" comes to mind.

Sunder said:
And watch it. After asking about a product in your first post, disclaiming any relationship to the company in your second post, getting an answer to your query on a Sunday in your third post, and defending them in your fourth... Well, to quote the bard "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" comes to mind.
Yes I must admit that comment set off my shill warning light.
It seems to be the standard formula - create a thread with attention getting key words, claim you've not heard of this company and want to know if they're any good then report back with comments from the company, say how awesome they've been and how great their product seems. Then follow up with another post claiming the product was sooo good you couldn't not buy it and how happy you are with it, or start suspiciously defending the company that you didn't know from a bar of soap yesterday...

Please read my post carefully before you comment. You may miss vital info relevant to your response....16kw w/custom frame is what I read.

Thanks Sunder, nice to meet you. Yes you are correct I am a new member on this excellent and informative forum. It also means that the rules and regulations of conduct required here are fresh in memory...........I suggest you freshen yours.

Otherwise, thanks to your responses, nice to be part of the family.

Shock

Hi Hyena,

I enquired (read email) about Hadron a few months ago. Does this mean I'm on your payroll also. In that case "everybody buy one of Hyena's kits"..........we must update our website also. Sorry but this is lame.

Shock

Ok time to man up. Apologies all round. My ego got the better of me. Your comments are just as valid as any. The initial response from Insane Electrics was prompt and I didn't want to be responsible for starting a possible bad reputation. You guys know your tech really well - no question. Hyena, my dealings with your service was impeccable as per the reputation. OK I've seen your videos so maybe there's a bit of jealousy towards the fighter but I'll keep you out of that affair. No seriously I've gained info from most of the responders here in other threads which is always valued and appreciated. I'm one of those new but not new members.

As for Insane Electrics and being purely factual here, a follow up query sent re golden motor mid drive is pending 3 days now. I'll take it they are not very interested in doing business with me.

Peace

with a bit of...
Shock Therapy

Yes we locals do have a fair bit of background to Insane Electrics.
He's playing around with JohnInCR's six phase kit with dual controllers and strapping it to Walbikes. Sounds like he was having some tech issues as to be expected.

Caveat Emptor.

Acceleration doesn't seem very fast for 10kw (100v 100A).

Hope the bike is good quality if it's being advertised as > 80km/hr, cheap parts just won't hold up well for long.

shock therapy said:
Ok time to man up. Apologies all round. My ego got the better of me.
Sorry if we came across a bit harsh, most here just have a low tolerance for shills and their deception. A good product / company doesn't need to rely on such underhanded tactics. That said we have a number of vendors here as members who publicly post about their activities or wares and we appreciate their openness and honesty. There's also a number of us who are contributing ES members first and foremost and do a bit of ebike related building on the side. Eg myself, Samd, Kepler, Jonescg and people like voicecoils who was an ES member for years before starting to work at an ebike shop (there's many more examples, I've just listed a few of the Aussies here as this is somewhat of a local thread)

I know insane electrics is a member here but I don't recall him ever posting anything, or if he has he hasn't declared his association.
So step forward mate, this is a perfect opportunity for you introduce yourself and tell us about the mini arc reactors you're powering your kits with :lol:

Hyena, my dealings with your service was impeccable as per the reputation. OK I've seen your videos so maybe there's a bit of jealousy towards the fighter but I'll keep you out of that affair.
Personally I'd be careful in dealing with those folks at Hyena electric bikes. I hear their kits contain gluten and I read on a forum once that the key to the power of their hadron kits is bearings lubricated with the baby harp seal blubber :mrgreen:

Samd said:
Yes we locals do have a fair bit of background to Insane Electrics.
He's playing around with JohnInCR's six phase kit with dual controllers and strapping it to Walbikes. Sounds like he was having some tech issues as to be expected.
Caveat Emptor.

Don't drag me into whatever this is, and to insinuate that something I sell is expected to have tech issues is baseless slander. I wouldn't sell my motors to someone putting them on a hardtail, and I quiz people pretty good to help ensure their success. Also, as far as I know all of the big motors I've shipped to Australia were going on motorcycles despite my protests to shoot for lower weight.

Those wanting to pump only 10kw into a hubmotor should stick to ebike hubbies anyway. :twisted: HillsofValp just dyno'd his and apparently got 20kw output at the wheel. :shock: :mrgreen:

John

He's having tech issues with his bike frames and setup - not you John. Either calm down and re-read slowly, (good) or apologize (better).

Slander is a different box of dice. I should know.

Sounds like someone slipped thru your quizzing net and straight onto ebay. Not something you'd expect your average player to do. :?
Several of us have been keeping an eye on the offerings as we are genuinely concerned that it may not end well for someone.

shock therapy said:
Neptronix,

Shock

A Crystalyte H40xx motor does not output 10kW continuous. They are rated at about 2kW by Crystalyte. A cromotor does not output 16kW continuous, it is rated at about 4-6kW.

No amount of magic marketing fairy dust changes the properties of the motor. Both of these motors will burn up quickly if you apply that amount of power for very long. ( yes, big peaks are fine enough, but hub motors are not commonly rated by their peak power. Otherwise a bog standard 9C motor would be sold as a 3kW or so motor. )

It sounds like you didn't waste any money with them - good!

Back