Alien 150A 8s dual esc problem - any help is appreciated

viper

10 mW
Hello,
First I would like to say that overall I like this esc, and that it had served me well for a while.
Today, tried to add sensors to the esc - tried it on one motor - everything worked before the change.
20bf227f6261e359d68337f28ee00c22.jpg

I have followed Bruno's guide and got the motor spinning backwards - but only from some points.
I have decided first to change the motor phase wires to get the motor running the correct direction and then to fix the other issue.
After changing one more time - no response from the esc - no beeps - just heat from somewhere. Opened the heatshrink to see if anything is burned - no burned electronic smell, but when trying to connect the esc to the computer - the main atmega8a chip gets really hot. The other side of the esc works fine in sensorles mode - didn't try sensors with the other motor after what happened (Note: all changes done without power and the tests without load on the motor)
Pic of the esc: the hot component is the atmega8a near the sensor wires (left side)
32551e0e5d4eda0754a1d2e2ce1c9e27.jpg

Also contacted Bruno from alienpowersystem.com - I'll keep you posted on updates from him.

I need my board operational for an exhibition in 31.5...I have some electronic knowledge and solder experience..
Again any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for my English.
Yossi

can you remove the new sensor wires and revert back to original configuration and it works?

I know several folks had issues with Flyer/APS ESC's (single and dual). If under warranty it might need to be replaced - major heat from the atmega8a sounds like a possible hardware failure.

What voltages are you running (# of battery series (ex: 6s), or actual voltage of pack)? Where are you located - if this is dead and takes a long time to troubleshoot and fix, it might be too tight for your 31st exhibition. There may be someone here on ES nearby who can loan/sell you a pair of ESC's?

GL!

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
The computer can't detect the faulty esc - so I can't reprogram it. The other side works just fine.
I am working with 6s lipo, and a well proven setup. The only change was the sensors.
I don't know if it's covered under the warranty - we'll have to wait for bruno's answer.
I live in Israel,and quite frankly - I'm afraid to kill someone else's esc. Really hoping I can get mine going again.
Anyone has schematics of this esc?
You said people had issues with this esc - all I could find was problems of overheating using 8s and full power.
I was on 6s (about 50% charge) and with 5-10% throttle - with no load on the motor.
I guess the sensors combination did something bad to the circuit (it felt like it was kind of working, almost) - but what could it be?

Being a bit out of the way in Israel might make it tough for your 31st exhibition...

Depending on Bruno at APS - you may or may not have a working dual ESC.

Alternative options - run a single motor on the working ESC (i'd remove the sensor wires). OR get another pair of ESC's (i vote VESC if you can find one). For your voltage (only 6s) you can also run most hobby/car ESC's and save $. My favorites are the FVT/XERUN (my XERUN 150 (iirc) also will do sensors - how well i don't know since no sensored motor).

If you were closer i'd lend you one or both of my spare VESCs.

GL!

Thank you for your suggestion. I wish the electric skateboard community in Israel was bigger...
Bruno got back to me - he says that I probably have to replace the logic side of the faulty esc... He doesn't have one right now - so no APS esc for the 31st.. I'll probably send it to get it fixed anyway. But some good news... a friend of mine agreed to lend me his 150A hobbyking 6s car esc's... But I am afraid to try and put the sensors a again... I have no idea what caused my esc to fail. The sensors Ave phase changes were without power, and I never crossed 20% throttle even when it seemed like it's working... Anyone ever encountered an esc failure from wrong sensor position? Anything like that?

Not trying to bash what you have, but the Flyer/APS ESC's are known to be failure prone.

Your friend's hobbyking ESC should be fine if it supports sensors! And if it is damaged (i think unlikely), they are really inexpensive to replace.

Glad you have an option for your event on 31st. Let us know how this ends up and if you do get it setup on the hobbyking 6s sensored?

Thanks!
I am still not sure if I'll attempt using sensors with the hobbyking esc. But I if I do and it will work /not... Will update this post.

Bruno has been so kind and replied that if the damage is caused by an electric failure - he will replace the bad parts as part of the warranty... (even though the item was bought almost two years ago)
So again - all I can say is it seems like alienpowersystem.com have one of the best customer service I have seen.
Will update again when I get the esc back.

Back