Allcell technology Summit battery

iowaebike

10 µW
Allcell technology Summit battery data is posted on their website. See the link below. Its good to see an American company produce what may be a world leading product family. The first unit available SE-3611 is a 36v 11ah downtube battery assembled in a 10S 4P configuration. Rated at 15amps continuous 25amps peak it will not suit the over 500 watt crowd. But for many beginning E-bikers and much of the world that has lower watt motors it should be an excellent option.

https://www.allcelltech.com/images/datasheets/summit/AllCell_Summit_36V_and_48V.pdf

Decent weight for the capacity i suppose, considering that it comes in a case and all.
At least they are being honest about the low power these days.

Not enticing enough to make me switch from RC Lipo tho.. not at their prices. But a safe high quality 18650 isn't cheap anyway.

Refer to the prices of their other battery packs to get an idea.

I spoke to an Allcell sales rep in late march who indicated that they were expected to be about 10% over their naked battery lines cost per watt hour.

but they are still too expensive for what you get compared to the pouch packs from ping, sun-thing guy and the new guy we found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-20ah-LiFePO4-Battery-BMS-5A-Charger-Electric-Scooter-Ebike-Bicycle-7-8-Weeks/141141611139?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22308%26meid%3D6433482294300617579%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9700%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D181148272576

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-48v-20ah-LiFePO4-Battery-5A-Charger-BMS-Ebike-Powerful-Sea-7-8-Weeks-NEW/181379826645?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22308%26meid%3D6433482294300617579%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9700%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D181148272576

As e-bike's become more of a transportation alternative for the USA market, there will be good, better, best price point consumers. How many times have you heard someone say " Is there an American made product available? "

I have no affiliation with Allcell but have been researching their product lines. I have been using an HE3615 pack since 7-26-2013 with my e-bike kit that has exceeded my expectations. I know of no other company that offers a materials, workmanship & performance non-prorated 2 year warranty that we can have a reasonable expectation will be around for support. They have a patented phase change material surrounding each individual cell for safety. Not merely using air gap separators or packing cells in what appears to be RTV silicone that I have seen on other packs. I am sure china will knock it off soon, but for now, it appears to be a superior design.

Finally it has visual design appeal superior both to Allcell's current naked battery line & the packs you reference, that will help with acceptance for consumers. It also saves on the cost of a quality case like those offered by Electric Rider for battery protection.

Here on endless sphere there is a high level of technical competence, & packs from Ping will always have their place. But for the vast majority of the population in the USA it will contribute to making E-bikes more mainstream.

If buying your fruit and veggies locally is a good idea, seems like the same is true for e-bike batteries when possible.

that is not my idea and i do not mind buying things i need from people who make them.

the chinese make the allcell packs too in spite of the spiel they have about their USA production, which is just jingoism.

a prorated warranty means nothing on a battery because it is so expensive to return ship them because of the hazmat rules and i would never ship a defective battery in any case.

most of us make it a point to learn how to maintain our own equipment.

they are too heavy and too expensive imo. pouch packs provide the lowest weight for the available Wh of power imo.

dnmun I just read your user profile. Very impressive sir, & I have great respect for you & all the long time contributors on endless sphere. It has been an invaluable resource to me as I have been trying to absorb as much information as I am capable of. Thank you.

I had not considered the warranty logistics of a non-prorated or any warranty & will check into the process. I have had zero issues with my pack so no actual experience.

You are right, Allcell sources the individual cells from overseas, the naked packs use LG cells from what I understand. They claim to assemble the packs in Chicago. A value added operation. So the Made In America claim may be legit. If they are importing complete packs or pre welded strings of cells, then that would be a different story.

I do not disagree that prismatic foil flat pack cells may have the greatest amp output for the dollar.

I had to look up the greater safety implications of the phase change material surrounding the cells, but was impressed by the technology.

Again thank you for your contributions to the E-bike community.

i just think it best to avoid demanding a high discharge rate so there is not such a big problem with the heating of the cells that requires the extra weight of carrying the phase change material and the steel can for the lipo. i know people like them since you are not the first to post up about them, but i think the availability of cheap pouch packs makes them the better deal for the money. i do try to talk people out of buying the Vpower type packs because of reliability and workmanship, but do not talk people out of buying these except for the cost and weight.

dnmun said:
i just think it best to avoid demanding a high discharge rate so there is not such a big problem with the heating of the cells that requires the extra weight of carrying the phase change material and the steel can for the lipo. i know people like them since you are not the first to post up about them, but i think the availability of cheap pouch packs makes them the better deal for the money. i do try to talk people out of buying the Vpower type packs because of reliability and workmanship, but do not talk people out of buying these except for the cost and weight.
I believe there to be an optimum price-performance point which a detailed comparative analysis would elucidate should any party undertake such. Unfortunately, its the usual adage of buyer beware. Meaning the onus of analysis is ultimately up to each party. There are some, like Battery University (http://batteryuniversity.com/) which undertake what's required for a meaningful comparative analysis and maintain a good web site for ongoing publications. I'm sure its not easy. ES is sometimes useful, but the information is never particularly well organized and often times unreliable. The point is that the discriminating buyer must do their own ad-hoc comparison, taking the information available at any point in time (and that is always changing) and make the best price-performance and cost-benefit analysis. That or be held captive by the opinion of well meaning albeit almost always misinformed individuals on this or that forum site, including ES.

There are a lot of factors to consider, including not only cost but many factors in consideration of performance, as well as potential risks, like, yes, the risk of fire. The point has been repeatedly made, including myself and others regarding such risk. Some will assume it and others not. To each their own. Get on an ebike on today's streets and you put your life at risk regardless. And other factors, like the ease of use and construction, and deconstruction.

My most recent final decision before making a purchase and commit to a battery build project was in favor of the A123 26650 cell. Because of extreme longevity, cycle life. Knowing what I'm getting, confidence. The cost of a battery must be measured in amp-hours over the whole lifetime of a battery. And the longer lived, the less time I have to hassle with it, getting new product, building & rebuilding. I simply want the best cost-performance possible, taking a lot of data into account, and it has to be good data. So for me at least, its not lipo.

And for the purveyors of the Allcell technology Summit battery, post up the data supporting total cost of lifetime amp-hours. Meaning, first, the cost of the battery - still have not seen it posted here. And then, what cells are being used? Not some generic, but whose cells, the manufacturer, by product number. So the discriminating buyer doesn't have to guess about that. And so knows what they're getting, and can do detailed comparative analysis if they want. And make a real decision regarding cost for total lifetime amp-hours. And not be subject to marketing hype, like "advanced phase-change heat dissipation materials."

Sounds like a good step in the right direction for Allcell. It's just not likely to win the price war against dollar a day china assembly workers.

Compare with other vendors product when the stockpile is in the USA, and it's not so overpriced. Grin, High Power Cycles, Electricrider, etc don't have china prices either.

Sure, the cells do not originate in the USA, but it's closer to buy American than most. Lowest price is often the only consideration, but not for everybody.

arkmundi

Your ideas about how E-bike batteries should be evaluated are spot on. Its a calculated scientific approach & one that will tend to improve E bike components over time.

There are additional factors to consider like an appealing consumer design. A dealer network to offer product support for the majority of the population that does not know much about their car battery or engine either & does not care to learn. I'm working towards the day when people living in North America will look at their E-bike the same way they look at their car.

Here is what I have learned so far.

Allcell Technology, Summit SE-3611 downtube electric bike battery MSRP $735 US dollars. About 10% over the cost of Allcell's naked battery line per watt hour.

Waiting for a call back about warranty logistics, will post new info as available.

dnmun said:
but they are still too expensive for what you get compared to the pouch packs from ping, sun-thing guy and the new guy we found:
Where does one find sun-thing guy?

sun-thing28 on ebay.

chinese factory workers do not make $1/day and they are not all slave laborers.

the reason these young people flee from the boondocks to shenzen is because living in a dormitory with other girls and having a job that pays $800-1000/mth is the dream of a lifetime for them and they can send money home to support their parents.

it is not their fault we have over inflated the cost of doing business in the west to support the military economy we maintain in order to dominate the world.

the people making these products for us are doing us a favor. there is nobody here in this country who could do the same quality of work for the wages required for the prices that the finished product would need.

Until AllCell makes a battery you can fit in the triangle of a frame. They are behind the curve.. IMO Cell_Man is the leader of the pack, he has numerous pack sizes in different shapes and YOU can pick the cells that suit your needs... With AllCell you get what they got. I feel they are a rip off. I just ordered a pack from CaliBike 48v 15ah which can run 30A continuous with bursts of 40A... How much did this cost?? $500 TOTAL that includes shipping and a charger..

To be completly honest Chicago electric bike company is living in the past and so is AllCell and charging absurd prices for Cells that cost a fraction of their total pack price. And yea 2 year warranty, do they pay the shipping costs if your pack fails??

Edit: I should've clicked the link to see the new battery.. I see that it is a down tube frame mounted pack. That is very nice if the price point is reasonable I may try it out, but I have a feeling the 48v 14ah is gonna be close to $1000. Plus these batteries are limited to 20A continuous 30A max discharge. So they are more than likely using a cheap crap cell. If they gave the option of different cells like em3ev does that would be great.

And one more thing should be noted here. While AllCell may put together the packs that doesn't mean they MAKE the batteries.. That simply means the solder the connections. I would be willing to bet that they don't even make the BMS in house.

So really what you are getting from AllCell is Chinese made Batteries (they don't mention what cells are used), they solder the connections and test voltage and ship them out from the USA. They use a BMS that is extremely weak at 20A, so the packs have less of a failure rate. Does that really warrant the high price of the packs?? After you read the warranty issues and if they will even service a failed pack YOU still have to pay to ship the pack for service... Sorry, for me I'd rather go with em3ev, that way I can personalize and pick what cells work best for my application.

I have two summit batteries and am part of the beta testers. I replaced a ping battery with it for the following reasons:

- lighter weight
-protected hard case
-locking mount mechanism, easy to mount
-high quality BMS
-two year warranty
-US tech support
-auto shut off
-waterproofed charge and discharge leads

While you can complain about the cost of hazmat sending in a battery for service, the same can be said for any other battery pack. Gonna ship a ping back to the Cali service center? Still just as expensive, if the shipper will even LET you send an unapproved item. This complaint actually favors Allcell more than Ping etc. Allcell has spent the money to get shipping acceptance of their device whereas any other battery pack can be rejected by the shipping company, leaving the customer SOL for service.

Two year pro rated warranty? I'll take that over the multiple failures I've had with Ping batteries, chargers, and BMS units. Quality control is high with AllCell and they are pretty dang sure that warranty claims will be slim. Everything is assembled and tested in the US facility, and they have the experience for process and quality control.

I've already switched all my bikes but one to Allcell naked and summit packs, the one has a custom box welded into the frame for a ping brick.

Back