AmpedBikes a good choice?

stanz

100 W
Ok, first the question, then my LONG background post:

Is AmpedBikes.com a good choice for a kit supplier?

This is my first ebike build and my funds are limited so I don't want to waste them on a bad supplier.

Now the background:

I'm a 52 year old male, not in great shape but not too bad either. I had spinal fusion surgery about 1.5 years ago and I'd like to start riding my bike again. It's a decent Specialized hybrid I purchased a long time ago ... 8+ years.

I have a short commute, under 10 miles per day, but it's not exactly flat. In my younger years I rode around town with no issue but that was before the back injury and surgery so I'm looking for a decent assist.

I'd like to say I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint and be green but really I'm just looking for the assist. Even if gas prices hit $6 per gallon this year it would take a LONG time for this to pay me back on the investment with my short commute.

I was initially tempted by the ebay kits until I spent some time doing research. I now realize they are selling the same kit but simply "fudging" the watt ratings by over-volting or whatever.

AmpedBikes prices look good for the direct drive rear kit ($346), that's right in my price range. Actually I'd rather spend less but I can't find a decent supplier for less with any sort of warranty. I work for a church so I'm not exactly rolling in cash.

Anyway, I would appreciate ANY feedback on this supplier. I haven't seen any bad posts in the archives but I'd like to get some up-to-date input.

tnx,
Stan in MA

I can testify to how Ampedbikes 9C handle abuse. I just had a flat on my rear wheel and had to ride it home on the rim/flat tire for about 3 miles. Tire destroyed but the rim is fine . I just put a new tire and tube on and it runs fine. Good strong motor/wheel combo. I don't recommend this type of testing, however. :)
otherDoc

Nothing wrong with amped that I know of. Beats going to some unknown ebayer shipping from china.

Amped Bikes kit I bought a couple years ago worked fine until I crashed it. In fact I think it still works fine, but I haven't laced the motor into a new wheel yet. Best way I can think of to go with something cheap would be cell-man here on the forums:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19971
he also has a website that is a work in progress: http://www.emissions-free.com/

High quality stuff, good customer support from what i have heard.
The motors you're looking at are sold by various vendors here on the forums and elsewhere, they are certainly proven.

I have been running an ampedbikes kit (20" rear wheel direct drive) since January for my daily 20 mile Round Trip commute. I bought the lithium tube. I have had no problems with the motor, but some small issues with the battery. One of the wires in the battery came unsoldered and the screw that holds the lock in place on the battery mount came loose as well. (the roads where I live are not the smoothest.) Both times I could have sent it back for repair (under warranty), but I found the problem myself. (I don't have a car for commuting, and you have to send back the whole kit for them to debug). They do assemble test each kit prior to shipping, so you shouldn't end up with a kit DOA.

I would still recommend the kit despite the problems that I have, as the price is good. The 20" wheel does run slower, as it is the same motor with a smaller wheel. I might have gone with a different winding if I had to do it over again for the 20" wheel. 26" wheel should be fine

So who does warantee overvolted? Others may just define overvolted different, or have stuff designed for 48v. Plenty of us have worn out 36v controllers running 48v through them. Some hack it some don't, your risk.

I haven't found ANYONE that will warranty these controllers for 48V because that would make the bike illegal! 36V actually will run a bit beyond the 20mph standard so 48V puts you around 30.

That is unless you are running 20" wheels, then you might need 48V unless you use different windings.

I'm pretty much set on AmpedBikes unless I hear back from Deadshort on those dealer clearance sets for $249. That would save me $100, enough to buy a charger.

E-BikeKitâ„¢ 36-48v 20Amp Brushless Motor Controller

For use with 36V or 48V battery packs. This is an "on-demand" immediate start controller built specifically for the E-BikeKitâ„¢ conversion system. Engineered to be safe, prevent overheating and avoid motor or battery

48 v doesn't make a bike illegal.

I only brought it up because amped had some language on their web site that was kind of rude that said some thing like if you use this equipment on more than 36v and it burns up we can tell when we open the box up and you will be screwed.

I have an amped geared kit and it's been great.

Well, technically 48V doesn't make it illegal , but ... the top speed would then exceed 20mph which would violate Federal Law 107-319.

FYI: I asked a few pre-sales questions of AmpedBikes and got answers in the same day. I can't complain about that kind of service!

I got my bike out today and did the round trip to work under human power ... man, hills were a lot easier in my 40s!

gotta get electric

I have dealt with amped bikes on a few orders and they are amazing! I highly recommend them. Their customer service is some of the best.

I pulled the trigger and placed my order with AmpedBikes tonight.

I ordered the rear direct drive kit without batteries.

Personally, I prefer the front hub motor.

All wheel drive!

PS The newest model hub motor kit, includes a 36-60v controller.
Presumably, the motor is also 60v capable!?
Of course, 60v will void warranty ...

My bike is an older Specialized with aluminum front forks. I didn't want to chance damaging them with a 700 watt motor at 36 volts. If I decide to overvolt it will be even more power to twist the fork.

Besides, the rear install hides the fact I'm running with an assist.

stanz said:
My bike is an older Specialized with aluminum front forks. I didn't want to chance damaging them with a 700 watt motor at 36 volts. If I decide to overvolt it will be even more power to twist the fork.

Besides, the rear install hides the fact I'm running with an assist.

Good point about the aluminum front forks!
Front hub kits come with warning that they are to be used with steel forks only!

This was extremely disappointing to me, I picked up a used Haro Express Deluxe 700C, and tuned it back into perfect condition. While it does have steel front forks, the dropouts are alloy (aluminum). And the rear has a wonderfully smooth 11-34 8spd. Rear kits come with a 6spd cluster. I hated the thought of damaging, or degrading such a nice machine.

I settled on a 26" front hub kit and put it on a Black Widow, a dual disc, budget bike from Walmart. Transfer to a nicer bike, easily accomplished ...

Black Widow 26" $139 w/free shipping!

I thought about that option, I have a cheap 26" bike in my shed.

The problem is I LOVE my Specialized bike, I built it to suit me. I'd rather not switch to a lesser bike.

I'm sure that I won't need ALL the old gears with electric assist.

The 26" AmpedBikes kit @ 36v is rated as 23mph top speed. When pushed to the, warranty voiding, tho fully capable 48v, top speed falls nicely into my 30mph target speed range. My ideal speed allows me to blend smoothly with local "city" traffic.
The 700C kit provides an extra 10%, approx., speed, which helps keep up with the typical 30mph "pushed".

Always having an overactive imagination, I'm tempted to experiment with a motorcycle conversion. (Probably 100-200cc, smaller and lighter - the better!) First I would "lace" hubs, into the front and rear wheels. Then I would rip out the motor, transmission, gas tank, lead acid battery etc., and drop in about 4kWH of Li-ion, or Lipo, about 50lbs worth. Pushed to the new 60v capability, top speed should be near 40mph. Which would be perfect for "in city" transport. Most importantly, NYS (New York State), has yet to legalize eBikes, but they do allow registration of econversion vehicles. AWD, (All Wheel drive), sounds interesting, also!

Being absolutely silent, I might want to add a good sound system, to announce my presence, to unwary pedestrians etc. Wonder how many times I can loop "Born to Be Wild", before I get sick of it?

I just had an email exchange with AmpedBikes, apparently they are swamped with orders. It's that time of year I guess. I assume it will just get busier for them once gas hits $5 this summer.

They mentioned that Lithium batteries are tough to get. They had been using Panasonic and their plant is in Sendai, Japan. They'll be switching to Samsung since it will be 40-60 days before Panasonic is back up.

I added a torque arm to my order just to be on the safe side.

Going 25+ mph on the road can be hard on your back.
I found that my back was a lot happier with a Thudbuster suspension seat post (~$120 from Nashbar) - it has about 3" of travel. I was out of commission for a few weeks last summer until getting that post - then no problems. Good luck!

stanz said:
I added a torque arm to my order just to be on the safe side.

See if you can get the rapid disconnect connector like the one they have for the front wheel. I had trouble with the torque arm on the rear wheel interfering with the derailleur mounting, so I had to run the motor wires through the torque arm (having to rewire to the motor). I think the quick disconnect will fit through the center of the torque arm.

Back