• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Amphibious bike

Bertoa

100 µW
Amphibike1.jpg
Only in the water is this Amphi-bike electric propelled by a cordless drill "inboard motor". Outside the water it's just a normal bike with all the stuff on board to go amphi. The aim of this project is to show an amphibious bicycle from stuff you can find at your local hardware store. I use common tools, so no welding or big machinery. Another goal is that everyone can use his or her own bicycle to make it amphibious. The conversion time, from land to water is not more than 7 minutes; the same for the opposite direction. Beside universal applicable the construction is simple, save and cheap; about 100 dollar.
This project looks easy; it's not. When it was that simple, we could buy an amphibious bike in the local cycleshop. This video show's enough information to make one for your own. In the water Berto's Amphi-Cycle will be propelled by a new version of the simple outboard motor. With a cordless drill and with an extra 12V battery. I found out that other ways of propelling are too complex and expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKN20Vc4bnE

Hi berto, i just watched the video, i got a very high impression of your project, simple, functional and really cheap. Very well done, thanks for sharing.

Very fun Berto! I look forward to your next project, the home-built personal flotation device (life jacket.)
:wink:

Lock

Thanks for the reactions. The surprise was that the high gravity point of the cyclist was compensated by the bicycle hanging under the 2 lifting pieces. It's a kind of gyroscopical effect a counter weight wat makes the stability on a floating mass. Also the pvc tube ring around make an equal pressure on the boat. No lifevest nessesary for now.

...No lifevest nessesary for now...
Not necessary, but wise... The best swimmer in the world is helpless if they hit their head on the way to falling into water. Ya can kill yourself too, trying to rescue someone panicking as they drown... Water is my favourite part of the planet but I always wear a personal flotation device... same rule for my crew. No exceptions. Guess I'd look pretty silly on a cruise liner eh?
:lol:

Lock

My video show's for sure a low-tech solution for passing the (still)waters. Yesterday I saw a show on German TV. They showed a High-Tech amphibious bike. I made a screener video you can see here (german spoken): https://vimeo.com/42285316

Back