Another Seattle area e-bike rider...

MonkeyWrench

10 mW
Hello everybody!!

Thought I would introduce myself as I have been lurking on this great site throughout the spring during my first build. I live in north Seattle and commute about 8 miles (one way) in the city down to the Ballard area.

I finished up my first ebike build about a month ago, and had a blast riding it. Grins for sure. It was a 2006 GT i-drive 5 3.0 <phew> running a Yescom 48v1000w (GM 901) motor kit. I'm familiar with LiPo via R/C airplanes so I was comfortable running a pack of 12s2p Turnigy 5000 mAh.

I commuted the last few weeks and was very pleased with performance- as expected, the bike hit ~30 mph on the flat and got me over the hills no problem. Big success for me as I desired an ebike that could either be on par or faster commute time than my motorcycle. Mission accomplished with average speeds in the city at or above the 20 mph mark. Plus it got me out on a bike and pedaling along most of the way. Added a 52t front chainwheel, which helped for pedaling near the top end.

I refer to the bike in the past tense because last Friday it was stolen :x During the day, outside of my office building, locked with a cable lock. Didn't matter. The thieves also nabbed another nice road bike that was on the rack. Thankfully I had the pack inside with me, so they didn't get that. Should've used a beefy chain lock or U-lock, I guess. They nibbled through the cable lock (10mm Kryptonite).

ANYWAY looks like the homeowner's insurance will come through... so on to the next version :lol: I get to apply what I've learned from #1. Mainly, I am going to 18s LiPo, damn the torpedoes!

~Matthew

Ouch!. No way to bring the whole thing inside I suppose. Like locked in the basement, or some storage area.

Oh yes! The new build will absolutely come inside. We have a few empty cubicles I plan to take over :D

Time for a lock worthy of a nice ebike. $10-20 Cable locks are good for $150 bikes, not $1500 ebikes.

You should get a lock that cost 10X as much as the cable lock, based on that rationale. I use a lock that is $50 and has the look of "F-off and look elsewhere". Also, I don't trust that $50 lock for extended periods of time in public. It is for keeping the bike safe in situations where I will be back to it shortly. Couple hours most. If I am needing to be somewhere longer than that, I ask to bring it in the building.

Yeah, I'm not used to owning a nice bike, actually. Def need to recalibrate my prevention measures.

What lock style do you use when out & about? U-lock? Biga$$ chain? The chain comes in handy for mad-max style armageddon road rage. My friend would WEAR his NYC chain lock bandolier style when we were blasting around Manhattan.

I want an unobtainium cable lock that coils down to a whisp and can't be snipped by manual bolt cutters...

MonkeyWrench said:
Yeah, I'm not used to owning a nice bike, actually. Def need to recalibrate my prevention measures.

What lock style do you use when out & about? U-lock? Biga$$ chain? The chain comes in handy for mad-max style armageddon road rage. My friend would WEAR his NYC chain lock bandolier style when we were blasting around Manhattan.

I want an unobtainium cable lock that coils down to a whisp and can't be snipped by manual bolt cutters...

I use this MasterLock:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8...d=1374872962&sr=8-1&keywords=masterlock+cuffs

Currently only $45 on Amazon.

I'm also comtemplating making my own lock with Grade 70 transport chain and a old bike tube as a sleeve. A thief would need a pretty impressive tool to get through transport chain.

Welcome MW

Perhaps this thread should be renamed “Ebike Lock and chain ideas”.

I too live near Seattle. A couple of weeks ago I rode in from Redmond over to Belltown and was very concerned for the safety of my ride. I had to dash in to the building for only 15 minutes, but seemed like it was an eternity because the bikes are locked on a rail beside the road; perfect for nabbing. When I came out, two guys were inspecting it. The weight though would prevent most people from lifting it into a truck.

Except for shopping, most of the time my bike is chained up in a locker or at home.

Again welcome! I hope we have an opportunity to meet up one day with other metro bikers :)
Cheers, KF

Back