Another suspected ebike cheater

They have what looks like proof that these were in some TDF bikes. http://road.cc/content/news/186575-hidden-motors-used-strade-bianche-claims-french-tv-video
motor-hidden-bike-frame-stade-2-video-image-april-2016.jpg

Some in the cycling world may have too much time on their hands or something... (19+ minute news report in French.)
[youtube]e0s2yo6ws9U[/youtube]

EDIT: About 17+ minutes into this video, talk about installing magnets in the wheel rim to turn the whole bike wheel rim into a motor rotor. :wink:

Here's a link to an English story about this: http://fittish.deadspin.com/secret-thermal-camera-footage-allegedly-shows-seven-pro-1771492666. It seems that 250w is considered to be too much power and that the wheel rim motor is the way to go. €50,000 for a wheel motor keeps it restricted to the elite level though. They claim to see hot spots on the frames at the BB that turn on and off during climbs on the cheaper systems so the top level racers use the Bluetooth controlled induction wheels instead. It would be great to see this technology trickle down to the rest of us, perhaps in the form of rims with rare earth magnets built-in and coils in the frame?

BTW, cycling sure seems to be ambivalent about doping: Lance Armstrong still holds records on Strava for King of the Mountain! Fitness app Strava faces an uproar over an elite cycling user linked to doping
http://lat.ms/1paWMde

Strava is a cool app, but taking the segments alone as some measure of cycling greatness is a fools errand. Anyone can slam a single section then coast or drive home. Putting killer segment times in while riding route pr's is what matters. We have a few KOM's locally that are held while guys were driving with their bikes on roof racks! :p Even after they knew the f'd up they still will not delete them. :roll:

It looks like this story is blowing up. From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/sports/cycling/with-a-discreet-motor-doping-the-bike-instead-of-the-cyclist.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

WoodlandHills said:
It looks like this story is blowing up. From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/sports/cycling/with-a-discreet-motor-doping-the-bike-instead-of-the-cyclist.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Hehe... "a New Threat to Cycling Races". Translation? Making bikes far more convenient and useful for Joe Public.

LockH said:
WoodlandHills said:

Hehe... "a New Threat to Cycling Races". Translation? Making bikes far more convenient and useful for Joe Public.

As much as I like technology, this area (cycle racing) I am somewhat retro. I would like to see a ban on all electronics for racing. Electric shifting included. :shock: No batteries anywhere on the bike or rider. No generators, storage devices or communication devises either. Joe Public can play with whatever they get talked into.

Hehe... Slow Down Buddy. In the sailing world of racing, an "Olympic Class" used to be tapped about as Ultra Spendy, and the death of any class. I started out sailing a "Junior" design from the Dutch ("Flying (Dutchman) Junior") but graduated from a Mono-maran to catamarans and trimarans (two-three hulled sailing boats). Sailing an Olympic-class Tornado. Then the Olympics delisted that design ("too fast" or something). Anyway, today the list of Discontinued classes is MUCH longer than the list of current classes.

But it's the racers that are almost always first to spend on the latest and greatest in technology. And any "winning" tech then filters down to the rest of us. So I say lets BUST OUT and HAVE a Power-Assist Class in bike racing. :)

EDIT: Found it. Me tapping on ES back in 2007:
We accept so many things today in society that once were banned.

In the sport of pedal bicycle racing, at different times and in different places, the rules for competition have excluded things like wheels that are not made of wood, bikes using derailleurs, or any bike that was not a diamond frame...
:)

LockH said:
Hehe... Slow Down Buddy. In the sailing world of racing, an "Olympic Class" used to be tapped about as Ultra Spendy, and the death of any class. I started out sailing a "Junior" design from the Dutch ("Flying (Dutchman) Junior") but graduated from a Mono-maran to catamarans and trimarans (two-three hulled sailing boats). Sailing an Olympic-class Tornado. Then the Olympics delisted that design ("too fast" or something). Anyway, today the list of Discontinued classes is MUCH longer than the list of current classes.

But it's the racers that are almost always first to spend on the latest and greatest in technology. And any "winning" tech then filters down to the rest of us. So I say lets BUST OUT and HAVE a Power-Assist Class in bike racing. :)

EDIT: Found it. Me tapping on ES back in 2007:
We accept so many things today in society that once were banned.

In the sport of pedal bicycle racing, at different times and in different places, the rules for competition have excluded things like wheels that are not made of wood, bikes using derailleurs, or any bike that was not a diamond frame...
:)

I Hear where your coming from, but there is room for both avenues. Track bikes still have no gear changers, or brakes. Well over 100 years now. They should not have power meters either IMO! A new open class is welcome IMO, but leave the pure sport to make small changes with basic equipment development / progression. In road bikes now, it has gotten completely out of whack. UCI has not kept up with needed changes to the minimum weight limit which leave much room for adding all kinds of evils.

Most top frames and rims are now made from T800 or T1000 class carbon fiber which is better than many rockets are built with. Loosing weight in the frame and loosing spoke while adding a bit more structure to the rim is a net gain in overall safety factor. Broken wheels, even in the Paris Roubaix classic are becoming more rare. Components have also shed weight as have bars stems and posts with very little down side to safety factor. Much more can be done if allowed on the mechanical side. Electronics and electric assist is a whole other arena and would be very cool to keep but separate from the classic events. I can see technology like auto shifting based on rider telemetry being explored as well as some assist - weight and or power classes being established. Leaving all the eggs in the UCI basket and hope they would evolve with technology would be a big mistake.

There should be room for both... "Traditional" ,..no elecctrics etc,...and an "Open,", or development class where new technologies can be developed..
A "powerassisted". Class would need some fairly extensive rules , battery capacity, weight, etc etc, to keep some form of competitiveness.
One of the main reasons for restricting development is to control costs and allow more teams to afford to compete.
You only have to look at motorsport to see how multiple classes are spun off as costs rise, leaving only very few who are able to compete at the top F1 level.

Hehe... You Guys... and "traditional"? Sticking with that sailing racing, the yacht that won the first race:
6+Pre%CC%82t+saluer+la+reine+America.jpeg

... and the maybe not so traditional yacht in 2013:
or-72-speed-ggotu-6782-1.jpg

So how `bout the ES Cup for lowest watt-hours per mile. Oh oh... then one might suspect a bunch of velomobile-style bikes at near zero speeds. OK. First to finish at lowest watt-hours per mile. A "traditional" racing vessel is designed to cross the finish line then fall apart. :mrgreen:

Life vests mandatory. Sorry. And "traditional" only, of course. Made from seed pod fibers from the kapok tree. They float you just great! (For a while...) My first life jacket was made with kapok. When I threw it in the water and it sank... was sorta a clue that I had learned how to swim. I tend to think most "traditional" stuff suspect.

Ooops. Gotta go. Don't want to miss my leaching blood-letting session today!

`Course, in a true Corinthian Spirit, competitors would race naked. It's "traditional".

(Anybuddy wanna buy a ticket to watch?)

How about:
1. Upright bikes, no velomobiles, no fairings
2. Limited watt-hours to spend (maybe mount a standard calibrated watt-meter with independent power; Organizers reset them to zero just before the start of the race).
3... I don't think anything else is needed! It's that simple.

Folken said:
How about:
1. Upright bikes, no velomobiles, no fairings
2. Limited watt-hours to spend (maybe mount a standard calibrated watt-meter with independent power; Organizers reset them to zero just before the start of the race).
3... I don't think anything else is needed! It's that simple.

Why "upright"? Why NO, NO, NO?

Meanwhile "“Mechanical Doping” Reaches Absurd New Low in Cycling World"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._reaches_absurd_new_low_in_cycling_world.html

"hilariously blatant scamming" hehe

"Who wouldn't want an extra boost on the way to work or the grocery store? " [snort snort]

"So-called "e-bikes"" [insert extra snort here]

"Meanwhile, athletes should stop cheating. Or at the very least have some dignity about keeping the techniques subtle."

(NOTE: This writer now rides around on ebikes going "Vroom Vroom!"... in case of confusion.)

I ran across, poor choice of words, I came up behind a local ultra marathoner mountain racer (one of the trail runners who go for 100 miles at a time, they make a regular marathoner look like a pussy) yesterday on one of the trails behind my place. I was surprised to see him as this is not the well used trail system in town but out in the boonies, usually only horses but mostly dirtbikers. He was moving right along, faster then a jog, this guy competes national and is one of the best. Since I had the bear/cougar/moose bell on the handlebars, he knew I was coming. I actually had to speed up to pass him, got a finger wave from him (no, not that finger) as I passed by, I'm sure he had no idea I was "cheating", he sure as hell wasn't. I took his lack of "hey, hows it going", or similar friendly salutation, as a way for him to conserve energy. I also kept in mind I had rode up to the trail from my home, 1/4 mile away and 800' below, he had driven up from town, 20 miles, so I guess we were both cheating.

Hehe... The Media LOVES cheaters
[youtube]tZerARsCqAE[/youtube]

LockH said:
Hehe... The Media LOVES cheaters
[youtube]tZerARsCqAE[/youtube]

If that's not a smoking gun, I don't know what is!!! The rear wheel is completely motionless then begins to slowly rotate as soon as the tire is no longer touching the ground. And as soon as the "winner" sees this he picks the bike up and stops the spin....... Can it be any more obvious...?

cyclist-magazine-logo.png

(They say:)
Cyclist.co.uk is ‘the road bike site’. It’s the new go to place for all kinds of road cyclists. Cyclist brings you the latest news, reviews and insight from the world of road cycling. Interviews with pro cyclists, journeys to amazing cycling destinations and in-depth features round out an exciting new proposition.

Cyclist.co.uk is building on the success of our print publications, Cyclist (launched in 2012) and BikesEtc. (launched in 2014).

Motor doping is happening, and we've tested it
("Cyclist has tested the technology that was used to cheat at the 2016 Cyclocross World Championships - concealed motors"):
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/542/motor-doping-is-happening-and-weve-tested-it

Yah gots yer Vivax-Assist ("Vivax sent Cyclist a Vivax Passione CF for test ")... yer Gruber-Assist system...

The potential for cheating with a motor is real but, having tested the system, we at Cyclist are not convinced that it is yet a problem in professional road racing.

Intriguingly, Vivax claims that the UCI has not contacted the company as part of its investigation into the practice of ‘motor doping’, but the technology is already in common recreational use with approximately 1,000 units apparently being sold each year, and some could easily have been modified.

Only one [C]omment so far:
Used to cheat at the 2016 championships! NO! discovered in the pits unused. Inflammatory journalism like this is unacceptable.

Back