Another update on Aten Energy (Zane) 48 volt LIPO4's

It's been six months and about 1,200 miles on the Aten Energy 48 volt 20 AH LiPO4 pack. The batteries have been virtually trouble free but that hasn't been true for the charger or BMS. In defense of Zane though I paid once and only once, everything else has been under warranty and my service has not been interrupted.

The initial charger did not work at all but I was able to use my SLA charger. The next charger worked fine for about four months then the BMS quit. By bypassing the BMS everything still worked and I was back on the road in a hour or so. The latest charger had me remove the old BMS and rewire the batteries for the new one which has a built in BMS. Naturally were I to do it again I'd do it different but regardless, everything works fine and I can tell by observing the charger the condition of each cell. The charger has sixteen (16) wires into a large plug which fits onto the rewiring I did on the batteries.

Even though the watts up meter will read up to 58 volts upon completion of charging, a brief hundred yards takes it back to the high 53 volt range where it stays for about 15 miles when it drops into the 52 volt range with NO loss of power to the wheel. So far the longest run I've had without charging is only about 34 miles and the battery read 52 volts after a very brief rest.

What I've gotten, IMHO, for my investment of $833.00 is peace of mind, long range, a disappearance of the Peukert effect and confidence I'll have the power to get home. Being a law abiding citizen I normally set the cruise control for 20 MPH when outside my little island and seldom exceed that on the level ground. Where the peace of mind comes in though is the ability to plan a trip of 15 miles and once you arrive at your destination you still have the ability to go further without worrying about having to charge up before returning. For me it's been a worthwhile investment, one I would do again. Zane has proved honest and straightforward if a little slow sometimes responding to phone calls or emails.

Mike, Crystalyte front mounted 5304 on a steel cruiser frame

Mike,

You should know that Zane never did contact me again.

I got tired of pleading for him to take my money. So, I got 40AH Thunderskys instead. Now the big challenge is finding a BMS. The hype and promise of the "Bob and Gary" BMS, got greater with every day, then....drum roll....cymbal clash.....nothing! So, the cells are spending their third month sitting on the bench.

Paul D.

(Two 48-60V, 95 amp modified e-max motor scooters)

Paul, I spoke with Zane about this when you mentioned him not calling back the first time and he indicated he would take care of it right away. Oh well, probably why there aren't a lot of his batteries on bikes or scooters.

I'll take a pic of my new charger and post it on this thread later on today. With this charger the BMS is built in so all that's necessary is to wire the batteries to accept it. I have no idea, other than Zane, where to get one but it defeats the BMS situation on the battery.

Wait, I just remembered, http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3889&p=57679#p57679 has the pics already. The charger is a BCO Lithium Charger, model BCO 4808B and another number that was H20716510G and I couldn't find anything on it using google.

IMHO and undoubtedly yours, Zane has missed the boat on this market.

Back