Anti Wheelie / Controlled Wheelie + On and Off Road BlackBox

mwkeefer

1 MW
Hello All,

I have over and over again seen people requesting a simple method of adding a "legal" mode in their jurisdictions while still having offroad mode.

While this can be done with the CA (I believe) some people just don't want a CA.

Additionally I've noted posts here and on other vehicle forums about automatic wheelie control and am looking into providing that not just for showing off but for really fast bikes, if the loop is fast enough launch times should be improved due to lack of lift and wheel spin.

In short I have had all but the wheelie feature for a long time, adhering to US laws but I'm going to refine my spaghetti wireing on perfboard and offer it to the ES crowd first as PCBs (self populate) and allready assembled units.

These will work with Hall or PPM (RC) style input and output (so they convert it too) and if your not a direct rear drive situation with a regen controller, a solenoid will be required to apply mechanical friction to the rear brake assembly for wheelie mode.

Yes the wheelie mode was inspired by the new Audi but as soon as I saw it, I thought of all the open source projects for building a self balancing scooter or unicycle and began researching.

I have to design a clean PCB, touch up some atmega code (c is needed for fast enough response time to prevent whoops) and then I'll get the BOM and Quotes together...

I'm posting now to get suggestions for additional features I may have overlooked.

Regards,
Mike

Thank you mwkeefer. I'll take one for sure.
This has been a "wet dream" of mine for a couple of years now ever since I first saw that Audi e-bike. :D

If you are going to make a "black box" may I suggest lane change warning, that detect your blind spot to avoid swirling over in the next lane right in front a fast moving vehicle. I've seen a concept on kickstarter for lane change warning. They had made buzzer that vibrated your handlebar if it was not safe to change lane.

Would it be possible to somehow take advantage of peoples smartphones - for GPS or whatever? Or to take advantage of the wifi?
Like the cobi.bike? They added wireless rear light that double as a brake light and turnsignals. Look it up it is clever.

Are you planning this as a open source project firmware? Where people can work together to keep improving, adding features etc.
That could be a real nice community spirited drive for ensuring evolution over time. And have you given can bus any thoughts?

I mean once a black is there - what is the limit?
Think of all the cool things we can do with a smartphones these days. They relay heavily on various action sensors. E-bikes need more sensors, gyros and ability to keep on evolving.

parajared said:
I bet an Arduino board would link right up to some gyros and your controller and program fairly easy.
How does the bike tell if its doing a wheelie or just climbing a really steep incline?
i guess this can only work with a second speed sensor on the front wheel that compares the speed of front and rear wheel.

izeman said:
parajared said:
I bet an Arduino board would link right up to some gyros and your controller and program fairly easy.
How does the bike tell if its doing a wheelie or just climbing a really steep incline?
i guess this can only work with a second speed sensor on the front wheel that compares the speed of front and rear wheel.

if you use a gyro and accelerometer, the difference will be easy to tell.

with a wheelie, the accelerating vector and gyro angle are different
with a incline, the plane of accelerating vector and gyro angle are the same

very crude sketch:

Apparently my last post was in poor taste, I was only trying to offer some beta versions at cost to those in the thread.

If you are interested in helping, PM me for details on how - if you want demo units to test, same deal - PM me.

Once the design is fully fleshed out, and ready for deployment it will be released here on ES as a DIY under GPL but I will still hold companies accountable when possible, free for all the ES crowd.

Apologies again!

Regards,
Mike

Back