any stock high voltage motors

ev_nred

100 W
hello,
I am planing a build in august maybe sooner, and was wondering if there are any high voltage hub motors (stock with no rewinding) I know that some people have put 20kw into crystalyte but that requires rewinding. I'm looking for something in the 72 volt to 144 volt rang. so my question is are there any hub motors that I can buy with this voltage.
cheers,
jacob R

Almost any direct drive hub motor can take that voltage without any mod. Amps is another story, but only minor mods are required to be able to feed alot of power. Bigger phase wires, vent holes, and you're ready for hard acceleration and much better climbing.

More volt will make the motor spin faster, more amps will give it more torque. Overvolting is not hard on the motor, cause it does not overheat like high amps does.

No brushless motor cares about what voltage the battery pack happens to be until you reach no-load speeds where it has mechanical failure (never going to happen for a hubmotor), or until you reach the point the insulation can't protect your voltage (which is generally >600vdc rated at the very lowest).

I run my Crystallite X5303 completely stock on 84V @ 40Amps, and have no issues at all.

Because the 5303 draws amps all through its power curve it is very hard on the controller though, so all my issues have been controller related rather than motor related (my hub has never skipped a beat). I find that at 84V @ 40Amps i put out about 3,000Watts, and the stock motor phase wires get warm, and the motor hot, but all runs fine.

However, when I started I did not appreciate how much amps the 5303 consistently draws, so I started with a 12 Fet controller and melted the phase wires where they come out of the controller. I moved to an 18 Fet controller and the controller actually exploded because it got so hot the solder melted in the controller (I was, however, not giving the controller adequate airflow so i am sure that contributed). So now I run a 24 Fet controller and everything runs a dream.

On this topic though, I have often wondered at what point in Amp increase I would need to upgrade the phase wires from the stock ones, as they do get toasty but are fine at this point. At 84V @ 40amps I can reach 80km/h on a flat, so I have never felt the need to up the amps like some of the maniacs here.

I have been curious at what combination of volts and amps people feel that the x5s need to get bigger phase wires/cooling holes etc.. I may be running close to that mark, as I said, the motor is hot to the touch for about 10 mins after riding, but I have done nearly 800 km with no issues.

Philistine said:
I have been curious at what combination of volts and amps people feel that the x5s need to get bigger phase wires/cooling holes etc.. I may be running close to that mark, as I said, the motor is hot to the touch for about 10 mins after riding, but I have done nearly 800 km with no issues.
I've been running a 5304 with a 18 4110fets 72v 49A clyte controller, beaten for a while in the mountain, and never had any problem. Now I'm setting it up with a lyens 24 4110fet at 100v 90A, I plan to run big wires up to very close to the motor with better connectors, but will try leaving the stock wires in the motor. Time will tell.

MadRihino - The Lyen 24 Fet high current controller is what I am running - it is awesome. I had thought of doing as you say and running 10 guage wires up to the motor and trying higher amps, but to be honest I am actually kind of scared to test out the true Amp potential of it.

Are you actually going to run it at 90 Amps?

I find ebikes are like sex and drugs, highly addictive, and I often find myself trying things not because I want to or need to, but just because I can.

But to keep the analogy going I might just watch you do it.....

then i'll get curious.....

then one day I will find myself dressed up in a milkmaids outfit with a bullwhip....

oh hang on, I got my analogies mixed up....

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread...

I haven't gone any higher than 100v, 40 amps. But that produced 45 mph, using 3500 watts using a minimally modifed 9 continent motor. And lasted through some 8 mile long races without overheating.

It's known that the clytes can take even more. And there are 5000 watt and above scooter and motorcycle hubmotors. I don't know exactly where to source them, but I know manufacturers like Aotema have made em. They could be branded anything though.

Hi Jacob,

In my opinion, below are the ideal motors suitable for high voltage operation:

Crystalyte 5306
Crystalyte 5305
Crystalyte 5304 (possible)
Crystalyte 4011
Crystalyte 409
Crystalyte 408 (possible)

9C 6 x 10
9C 2807 (possible)

Aetoma Maxi Might

Turnigy 80-130Kv RC motor at high gear ratio

Regards,
Lyen

wow u guys are amazing! I posted this therad yesteryed and got so much info! thanks to all of U! lyen thanks for the list! one more thing, can a lace these motors 29inch wheel?

hello,
thanks for all the info. so now that the formailtys are done I can ask my stupid questions :wink:
ive been thinking about this motor: http://www.e-bikekit.com/shop/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=8
with some mods do you guys think I can run it at 40 amps instead of 20? or will it fry. what about 40 amps at 132 volts?
cheers,
jacob R

Back