Any tips for running chains?

benj

100 W
My latest build uses a chain drive and it keeps slipping off. I use an ISO 04 chain with 6.35mm pitch.

I'm looking for any advice to help keep that chain on. I wondered what chain size other people use. Perhaps something larger would be more forgiving?

I have aligned my sprockets pretty well with a metal ruler but I think the flex in my motor mount isn't helping. I have also lengthened my motor mount holes to get more chain tension but if it's too tight the friction is pretty high.

Any good tips or ideas apart from the obvious??!

If it keeps slipping off, you must not have enough tension on the chain or that on of the sprockets is not in line with the other sprocket. For that pitch size it should work. I believe the same rule of having a good amount of "teeth in mesh" applies to chains also. Any sort of lubrication or are you running dry.

benj said:
Any good tips or ideas apart from the obvious??!

humm... hard to tell.. I use DIN8187 which is 6mm pitch, to get chain slip on my builts, I had to have visible "of center/ radial misalignement" of the Wheel sprocket, like 1mm of center and it can slip. how well is your Wheel sprocket centered might be the driver.
On the other side, axial misalignement between motor sprocket and wheel sprocket seemed to contribute less to the slip...

I run the chain dry. They are 50 tooth and 20 tooth sprockets with a center distance of 110mm. It looks like about 7 teeth engage on the small sprocket.

I've had a play with chain tension tonight and got it working better I think. I noticed a slight kink in one of the chain links, it's only small, but it does seem to click a bit as you turn the assembley by hand and the chain seems to run off the small sprocket a bit awkwardly from that kink.

I have some spare chain links, I'll try and replace that. Any tips on working with small chain? I tend to use a nut and then a punch and hammer...seems a bit barbaric but couldn't find a chain tool for this size chain anywhere.

Back