Anyone Hear of This Battery

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Was looking for chargers and came across this site and battery. Says assembled (so assumed shipped) from USA. Has 8AWG lead wires and appears to be a high discharge rate (40A cont 60A peak) Seems decent price for 48v13AH. Anyone use these?
http://www.batteryspace.com/LFP-Battery-51.2V-13.2Ah-675Wh-60A-rate-with-PCM-for-E-Bike.aspx

don't worry, it will not have 8AWG. i just assembled a battery like this one froma buncha old ping pouches. the old old oldold 4Ah pouches.

i had originally built a 20S lifepo4 pack from a buncha pouches from used up old ping packs. i built it so i could fix speedfreke's BMS which had the problems with the led stuck on all the time. it was a challenge, i had to swap out some of the tiny little SOT parts without shorting them. which i did and had to clean up the shorts with solder wick. but after i replaced the mosfet used for the shunt transistor and the little 5 pin comparator driver on the underside also. that fixed it. the mosfet had been stuck slightly turned on so the shunt current was enuff to cause the led to ignite. about 1.4mA is what i calculated. the bias on the gate was 1.39V and the current limiting resistor is 1kR.

so anyway after i fixed the BMS, i took the battery back apart to get it down to 16S by removing all the cells that had low capacity when i did the initial capacity tests after building the 20S lifepo4. some of those cells were about 10.5Ah for 3 of the 4Ah pouches, so i cut out the 4 with the lowest capacity, reassembled the pack, soldered the 16S sense wire bundle on the pack, plugged it into an ancient v1 BMS, wired it up through the wattmeter and ammeter, and discharged it into a battery of electric space heaters. about .75C so not bad, but when it got close to the 12Ah level i cut back from 9A to 2A so the sag would not cut it off too soon.

so after umpteen years these old ping packs can keep on chugging. not fancy lipo but they are a good way to keep the good parts of these old packs alive. so thanks to al and nick and special thanks to ian for the 22S pack parts.

12Ah out of 12Ah. who woulda thought they really would last that long. 8 years? is that when the 4Ah pouches came out?

Back