• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Anyone switched 250W --> 450W MY1018s?

davespicer

100 W
My (older-model) eZip Trailz from Wal-Mart has the 250-watt MY1018 (2 3/4" housing). I finally got around to trying a 36-volt SLA pack on it, which the older controller was okay with. Lots more speed, a banshee whine from the gears... and of course some extra heat inside the motor. It didn't take long to get noticeably warm.

Looking at the various MY1018s at http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors.html it seems that the 450-watt models spin about 44% faster than the 250-watt ones. That's be the difference between say 17mph and about 24 mph, which is enough for my needs... and about what the overvolted 24-volt 250-watt motor seems to be giving me.

So it looks like I could switch motors and get about the same speed from the beefier (3 1/2" housing) 36-volt, 450-watt motor as I am now. With the same controller, the current wouldn't change so the power input to the motors would be the same. And the 36-volt motor would surely run a lot cooler than the 24-volt one is, being more efficient and lasting longer (maybe a lot longer).

This looks pretty appealing to me, since it'd be a straightforward bolt-on swap. Have any of you folks done this? Um, and I also need to ask, is any of my reasoning faulty? I've been known to forget pretty basic stuff from time to time... :?

The difference between motors has been a subject of speculation, but nobody has done a meaningful comparison yet except to comment that a 36V gave the same road speed as a 24V.

TD posted a link to a manufacturer's site recently:
http://www.cn-dcmotor.com/BICYCLEMOTORS/2009/9/0991017140800.html

My guess is that they may be wound with different guages of wire and so have different Kv's. Your best bet in any case is to put a temperature sensor inside the motor if you want to avoid overheating it with higher speeds. Please let us know what you find out.

i overvolted my 450w 1018 izip to 60v for 2000km and it flew
noisey too ... all in put 4000+km on this motor with no mods
sold the motor a few months ago to a friend who burnt his up
running it at 24v...i overvolted mine a hour after buying the bike
this was with the stock 35amp controller
i have up graded to a rear 9C much quieter but i miss the little
geared motor and its torque

vanilla ice said:
Wow. 60v has got to be some crazy rpm for that little sucker.
yes and it sounded angry... pedestrians could hear me a street away
btw this motor is still working with 5000+ km

wasp said:

Is it the stock Ananda controller that worked with 60V? I tried my 48V ping with the Mongoose CX450 Ananda and it didn't do anything, as if it had tripped the HVC.

[EDIT] I found a post with pics of wasp's controller. Its not potted and so a different one than mine.

gogo said:
wasp said:

Is it the stock Ananda controller that worked with 60V? I tried my 48V ping with the Mongoose CX450 Ananda and it didn't do anything, as if it had tripped the HVC.

[EDIT] I found a post with pics of wasp's controller. Its not potted and so a different one than mine.
i still have it minus the connector for the +&-
i cut it off for another ride
would you like it?

wasp said:
i still have it minus the connector for the +&-
i cut it off for another ride
would you like it?
Heck ya I'd like it! I'm anxious to find out what the geared MY1018 on my CX450 is like at 48V 35A with my Ping 48V 20AH. I love it with my stock 35A Ananda controller using two Milwaukee V18 batteries. A controller that has proven to work well with this motor is just what I need. PM sent.

For the 450 W, MY1018, the data sheets: http://en.unitemotor.com/Product_5_0.html and http://www.cn-dcmotor.com/BICYCLEMOTORS/2009/9/0991017140800.html say the two cases are the same size and weigh the same amount. But the 36V is only 75% of the 24V speed. In torque the 36V is 133% of torque for 24V. So, 0.75 * 1.33 = 1 says power out is the same, beefier on 36V and faster on 24V.

If it's speed you're after it looks like the 24V would be the better choice.

Back