Aprilia Enjoy

I have a few buddies keen on one, will let them know. Thanks Tony.

Got the controller today and I can see what people mean about lack of details. Only 2 of the connectors are marked,- charging port and brake light. I can work out the rest but the specs on the front are a bit more concerning.
Its marked as 24v, 350W, 20+-0.5v. No Amps and its marked as YK31C which according to their website is a 48v, 500W controller. So what do I really have ? The dimensions don't match the YK31C but that doesn't mean its a YK40. Anyway of telling ?

I would certainly query the spec's with the seller, since it suggests that you have recieved a 15A controller ( what did you order ?)
However , i think the one i got had similar spec's ( 24v, 350W), but in practice it runs happily on 42v, 30A .
mine seems to have a 30A "limiter" since that is the max i ever see on my wattmeter,
At the prices you pay for these things you wont be sending it back, so you may as well just hook it up and bench test it to see what it will do ! :wink:

Hillhater said:
I would certainly query the spec's with the seller, since it suggests that you have recieved a 15A controller ( what did you order ?)
However , i think the one i got had similar spec's ( 24v, 350W), but in practice it runs happily on 42v, 30A .
mine seems to have a 30A "limiter" since that is the max i ever see on my wattmeter,
At the prices you pay for these things you wont be sending it back, so you may as well just hook it up and bench test it to see what it will do ! :wink:

I have emailed the seller so I guess I wait and see what he says. Its not as if I'm going to use it tomorrow. I'm still waiting on a charger first to see if it can revive the battery a bit more. As for what I ordered it did clearly state 24v,350w 28A +-1A and SVP of 20v+-0.5v. The picture was also clearly a YK40. The measurements don't match the YK31c so it may just be your typical cheap generic labelling with a mistake. You can't expect too much for the price :) .It will be interesting to see how good their English is., I did try to keep the question simple. :)
Now whats the "charging port" for on the controller ?
I'm still not liking how hot the motor is getting.

Got a reply already ( have to say I'm impressed) to quote
" The modle YK31C have many many style,one style is 24v 350w
So no worries,it can fit yours."

I also queried the Current limit and was told it is 28A+-1A

This might help identify:
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=41_73
Most of them have a document linked for a wiring diagram.

I recommend the LBD14. Yes, they are usually limited to about 30 amps. My turnigy wattmeter has validated this a number of times.

Look inside any controller and you'll see some FETs and some capacitors. The FETS tend to be about 60v rated, and the caps about 50V. So if you don't go over 50v on these cheap and cheerful units you're ok as you won't "let the magic smoke out" of the components. All that matters then is your low voltage cutout, and your max power = your voltage times ~ 30 amps.

Yesterday I got a nice city tyre (smooth on top, knobs on sidewalls) and pumped it right up on the rear. Picked up about 7kph cruising speed, top speed too. Tyres matter.

To connect your single phase controller, all that usually matters is the four fat ones (Power in from battery and power out to motor) as well as the key switch. Unless the keyswitch leads are connected together, you'll get NADA. Which is how a keyswitch ought to work...
I usually take all the other plugs such as brake lights, charging port etc and tape them up in a big bunch out of the way.

Single phase brushed controllers are nice and easy, not as daunting as getting a 3 phase brushless one without labels. Hang in there.
AND USE A FUSE

Keep us posted!

:lol: :lol:
I Just had to ride out for a quick errand on the Aprilia.
I have Not ridden much lately due to weather etc, but i know the lipo was topped up a few days ago, so i expected it to run fine.
however, I suddenly found myself doing 70km/hr with NO pedaling :shock: :eek:
.... but that just shows the type of hills i have to deal with around here ! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
coming back up that same hill later, the most i could manage in low gear and max pedal effort , was 12 km/hr ! :cry: :cry:

tonyontopofabighill said:
Another one on ebay.No prizes for guessing where it is....VIC... of course.Has the good old battery issue again.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aprilia-Enjoy-City-Electric-Assist-Bicycle-/190652109187?pt=AU_Scooters&hash=item2c63c05183#ht_1143wt_1206

It didn't sell . Was $500 really too much ?

Another one for sale on GumTree.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doncaster/bicycles/aprilia-enjoy-racing-electric-bike/306379897

Sam said he had a couple of mates who might be interested in that one.I emailed the guy and said that if it didn't sell on ebay I would give him $500 if he would go to his local bike shop and have it boxed up and sent to me (all for $500).I haven't heard from him so I don't think he appreciated my offer.I bid on a second hand mountain bike with a Nuvinci hub and disk brakes. If I had won that auction I would have put the hub and brakes on one of the Aprilias. Sadly It went for too much.
Here is a link to another Aprilia that shows just how much a new battery costs.He will be lucky to sell it.I have also made him the offer that if it doesn't sell I will do the same deal minus the new battery
p://www.simpletrade.com.au/other-for-sale/other/FOR-SALE/WA/aprilia-enjoy--power-assisted-bicycle/800292752

Cheers,
Tony

That link didn't work.Here it is again.It is on the site Simpletrade.com.au.THe guy was asking $1750 .He said the new battery cost $750.
http://www.simpletrade.com.au/other-for-sale/other/FOR-SALE/WA/aprilia-enjoy--power-assisted-bicycle/800292752

Sam said he had a couple of mates who might be interested in that one.I emailed the guy and said that if it didn't sell on ebay I would give him $500 if he would go to his local bike shop and have it boxed up and sent to me (all for $500).I haven't heard from him so I don't think he appreciated my offer.

I'm looking to see if it comes up again as I'll probably be in the area in a few weeks time. I'd buy it for that price as I want a "his and a hers" . The one I got was a re listing so you never know. Maybe I'll drop him an email when it get closer to the time and I know if I'm flying over or driving.

Got my charger and after a couple of proper dischargers and recharges I was able to get 14km out of it today though the last few km you could feel it was struggling somewhat.Still its a marked improvement so we'll see how a couple more cycles on the charger go.

I bought a his and hers and my wife wasn't interested so lucky me got the two of them.Depending on what mood I am in I'll ride either one or the other.I do find the racing version a bit more sportier than the city version.It is interesting that you say the battery lags after your ride.I haven't experienced that since having the lipos (sorry,I don't mean to rub it in) but I do remember that annoying feeling of the power diminishing towards the end of an otherwise very pleasant ride.How do you like the "beeping" when you have pushed it a bit too hard?

Cheers,
Tony.

I bought a his and hers and my wife wasn't interested so lucky me got the two of them.Depending on what mood I am in I'll ride either one or the other.I do find the racing version a bit more sportier than the city version.It is interesting that you say the battery lags after your ride.I haven't experienced that since having the lipos (sorry,I don't mean to rub it in) but I do remember that annoying feeling of the power diminishing towards the end of an otherwise very pleasant ride.How do you like the "beeping" when you have pushed it a bit too hard?

Cheers,
Tony.

I know if I had 2 they would both get used. My son and I already fight over the one we have . :) As for the beeping its rather annoying when you're a couple of Kms from home. Today I got home before it started but it would have been very close.

Guilty also on the his and hers front. And I agree, I think there is something about the racing unit but cannot put my finger on it.

I have been towing the kids a lot in the trailer on the back and lately both cranksets are starting to 'crunch' on each revolution. Much worse if I am not pedaling.

Time to get brave and open up the crankcase and see what is going on inside one unit. I don't think it is a worn sprocket or chain. I think the sprag clutch / ratchet bearing might be worn from "over-torqueing" it with too much weight being towed. We'll see...

It seems the charger can put in a little over 11Ah into the battery. This is giving me 12-14km if I nurse it but its been touch and go on the last big hill back if I'll get the dreaded beeps. That leaves me 2km short of home. If I then walk it up and turn it back on I can reach home as there is only a couple of mild hills to deal with.I'd say its more like 8-10km useful distance in the battery..Looks like the LiPos are getting closer.
Now what may seem like a silly question but seeing as I'm looking at staying at 24v is it possible to connect up a separate 12v battery so as to keep the original controller. I do have my reasons for asking.

do you mean a 12 v supply for the "control" circuit as on the original ?
Depending on how you configure your 24 v lipo pack, you could easily "pick out" a 12 v feed from some of the balance leads.
Or if you would rather, you can get a cheap 24/12v DC/DC converter off ebay. They are common for RV's , camping etc.

Hillhater said:
do you mean a 12 v supply for the "control" circuit as on the original ?
Depending on how you configure your 24 v lipo pack, you could easily "pick out" a 12 v feed from some of the balance leads.
Or if you would rather, you can get a cheap 24/12v DC/DC converter off ebay. They are common for RV's , camping etc.

Yes a 12v supply for the control circuit. I'm attempting to keep the pedal assist if its not going to be too much trouble. Throttle control may be beyond certain members of the family :cry:
If its easy enough without getting too messy then I'm willing to attempt it.

Mmm, looking at the step down converters on Ebay there seems to be a few and some will definitely fit but just what draw will it need ? Is 5A sufficient , 30A?

You could run a sep 12v battery I think? The controller shouldn't use my power by iteself I guess?

Well the original aprilia system just picked up 12 volts from a center tap of the main pack, so replicating that is logical.
BUT ..be careful to keep the common ground (-ve) termination for your 12 v since that is what the controller uses also.
apriliawiring.jpg

I spose you could run two controllers with a toggle switch. Stock lame one and one for special occasions ;P

Or simply run a "bypass" relay to switch full battery power direct to the motor !!!
..sort of an electrical overdrive or boost button.
... I actually did just this after my controller died. :wink: ( $5 , 40 A auto relay wired to operate from the 3 mode selector switch!)

Also, it would be very interesting to find out exactly what is under all that potting compound on the Aprilia controller.
I do know for a fact that there is a beefy 70A relay in there, which i dont understand what it could be for ???

Another Enjoy" "city" on Ebay
This on is in the Illawarra, NSW, and starting at a sensible $290, with no declared problems !
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aprilia-Enjoy-Electric-assisted-bike-/120889781650?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item1c2597ad92

Also a freeking Stealth Bomber !!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stealth-electric-mountain-bike-/170812784741?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item27c53c4065

At last an Aprilia in NSW.I might have a shot at this one.Someone has asked a question from Perth about freight.Is that anyone on here?
As for the Stealth bomber I think I enjoy living too much.They look lethal and apparently they are giving Optibike some grief as they are taking a big bight of their market share.

Back