Attaching Voltmeter to Battery Pack

geeeyejo1

1 kW
I originally purchased this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846310527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
to mount on my handlebars to monitor pack voltage while riding. I subsequently upgraded to a more functional Wattmeter that displays Voltage, AH, Wattage, etc. that is now mounted to my headset.
I was thinking of splicing this Voltmeter onto my battery pack leads to provide a display of pack charge while charging, confirm a full charge and show voltage when disconnected from the charger. I will be using (at least initially) the charger provided with the pack from Sunthing that has no display.
The meter only draws 15ma - assume this will not drain the pack significantly when not in use? Any concerns with doing this?

geeeyejo1 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846310527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
to mount on my handlebars to monitor pack voltage while riding. I subsequently upgraded to a more functional Wattmeter that displays Voltage, AH, Wattage, etc. that is now mounted to my headset.
I was thinking of splicing this Voltmeter onto my battery pack leads to provide a display of pack charge while charging, confirm a full charge and show voltage when disconnected from the charger. I will be using (at least initially) the charger provided with the pack from Sunthing that has no display.
The meter only draws 15ma - assume this will not drain the pack significantly when not in use? Any concerns with doing this?

15mA? That's about 300mAh per day. 10 days = 3Ah burned off. 30 days = 9Ah. Don't let it sit for more than a month.

Ykick said:
geeeyejo1 said:

15mA? That's about 300mAh per day. 10 days = 3Ah burned off. 30 days = 9Ah. Don't let it sit for more than a month.
Good point - I will wire in a connector to disconnect the meter when not in use - any concerns other than the long term drain?

geeeyejo1 said:
Good point - I will wire in a connector to disconnect the meter when not in use - any concerns other than the long term drain?

Sure, add more parts - that'll fix it! LOL....

Didn't catch you were only using for charge so I will edit my LED in sunlight comment. Always good to have a look at pack voltage before firing off the charge cycle.

It should be fine. I'd recommend a push button you press to see the voltage. No way to forget turning it off that way.

+1. A momentary switch is best.

Ykick said:
Days are pretty short in NYC and San Diego heh?

SamTexas said:

Ykick said:
We are currently observing VST (Voltage Savings Time) lol :lol:

geeeyejo1 said:
SamTexas said:

Ykick said:

LOL.... As if that 15mA spec is accurate enough to worry about 4 hours per day. Electronic tolerances have always been 10-20% range for as long as I can remember. I round that type stuff all the time and it's not usually a big deal. Except if you're from TX, I suppose?

Definitely a problem in Texas. I wonder how many other places on earth or how many of the 7 billion people on this earth are ok with a rounded 20 hours a day? My friends in San Diego and NYC still use 24 hours the last time I checked.

geeeyejo1 said:
Ha ha... But shouldn't it be EST? Energy Saving Time. You know, magically turn 360mAh into 300mAh. And then 300mAh to 250mAh... Do it a few times and we could end up with a perpetual machine that can run forever without consuming any energy.

Back