• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Aussie 200 Watt Limit Thread

Looks like the news that AU has adopted the EU 250W standard is going deeper into various news sites. I go to Gizmodo now and then and they posted a write up about how the new standard should bring more ebike activity to Australia.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/11/giz-explains-what-is-an-electric-bike/

After experiencing an ebike at above 25km an hour I find that there is no doubt a lot of research put into picking this speed, it has the same feeling as doing 50km an hour in a residential area. If I remember correctly they used to be 60km in residential areas and it always felt a bit too quick. I did find that above 25km an hour my mind was in another mode and I was needing to be even more alert. I do personally believe that even 30km an hour for everyone would be substantially better than 25km. I would find any more than 35km an hour on a bike track/path would seem almost too much.

On the road near other vehicles would be another thing and I can see how 25km an hour could be seen as being more dangerous as there is such a difference between the road traffic and the rider.

I had been training for about 3 months prior for the Bupa Around the Bay event in October this year and I had clocked up a number of rides around 80-100km. I have to admit that using an ebike system, I couldn't actually go back to normal pedal only cycling for the sheer fact that I find myself enjoying the scenery so much more knowing I am not dripping with sweat. I keep healthy and active in other ways and use the ebike now as a mental break from work/life and it works marvellously.

I have all you to thank for your help.

chopper_elec said:
I couldn't actually go back to normal pedal only cycling for the sheer fact that I find myself enjoying the scenery so much more knowing I am not dripping with sweat. I keep healthy and active in other ways and use the ebike now as a mental break from work/life and it works marvellously.

Exactly!!!! My daily commute is now a relaxation activity

Scruffoid said:
chopper_elec said:
I couldn't actually go back to normal pedal only cycling for the sheer fact that I find myself enjoying the scenery so much more knowing I am not dripping with sweat. I keep healthy and active in other ways and use the ebike now as a mental break from work/life and it works marvellously.

Exactly!!!! My daily commute is now a relaxation activity

Yeah your not wrong there, I love being able to look around at the scenery, there was so much that I missed when I was struggling to stay upright on the bike or that I was too worried about falling off with the cleats still in the pedals.

chopper_elec said:
I do personally believe that even 30km an hour for everyone would be substantially better than 25km. I would find any more than 35km an hour on a bike track/path would seem almost too much.
I think more like 40km/hr would be needed to convince the masses to use it as a useful commuting alternative.
It's funny how you get used to the speed. I've had an assortment of noobs get on my bikes with 2-5kw and they come back white knuckled after a 30 second test ride at under half throttle, too scared to open it right up. I'm used to it so just jump straight on and zoom off at full throttle quickly hitting 60km/hr and think nothing of it. Last year though after being really crook and not riding for a good 6 months when I finally did get back on the bike it felt so fast and unsafe that I wouldn't go near full throttle. I was using it as a rehab tool so only riding around slowly anyway, and it was an extreme case as not long prior to that I couldn't even walk to my letter box, but even under those circumstances I was quickly used to the top speed and power again. I think riding fast you tend to forget or become blase about just how badly you could get hurt if you come off.

I had a discussion with a bloke at work recently who rides a road bike. Standing with a group of other people he says "tell these guys how fast your electric bike goes". "tops out around 60" I tell them, to which he replies I'm mad etc. I asked him what speeds he gets up to on his carbon fibre road bike and he says around 50 but I can hit 60 if pedalling hard.
"So you're happy doing those speeds wearing little lycra shorts and singlet on a bike that I can lift with 2 fingers and has rubber bands for tyres, but I'm mad for doing only a few km/hr more on my steel framed mountain bike with big tyres and strong hydraulic brakes ? I wear kevlar jeans and an armoured jacket - who do you think is going to come off second best when a car pulls straight in in front of us ?

*crickets*

:p

On the road near other vehicles would be another thing and I can see how 25km an hour could be seen as being more dangerous as there is such a difference between the road traffic and the rider.
Absolutely, I couldn't ride a normal bike or street legal ebike on the road as I just feel so unsafe knowing I haven't got the power to get out of the way if I need to. Strong brakes are essential for road riding (I reckon this is where alot of lycras on road bikes come unstuck) as cars will routinely cut you off and disregard you but the next safety concern IMO is speed and power. Would you jog along the middle of a lane on a main road ? Of course not, and you'd have cars swerving around and abusing you let right and centre. But with the speed difference between you and passing traffic you're essentially doing the same thing on a push bike limited to 25km/hr.
When I commute I sit on around 40km/hr, still pedalling quite meaningfully but with the motor taking off alot of the load. As has been said before this gives cars more time to recognise you on approach from behind and they're also not tearing past you with a much higher speed differential.
There's more speed on tap if I need it but for the most part I just trundle along, and it's really not far shy of the 200w limit once inefficiencies and losses are taken into account!

Hyena said:
chopper_elec said:
I do personally believe that even 30km an hour for everyone would be substantially better than 25km. I would find any more than 35km an hour on a bike track/path would seem almost too much.
I think more like 40km/hr would be needed to convince the masses to use it as a useful commuting alternative.
It's funny how you get used to the speed. I've had an assortment of noobs get on my bikes with 2-5kw and they come back white knuckled after a 30 second test ride at under half throttle, too scared to open it right up. I'm used to it so just jump straight on and zoom off at full throttle quickly hitting 60km/hr and think nothing of it.
Chopper is talking about max safe speed on the bike path. I would def agree 35 is about right and even then it will be too fast for the typical e-bike user.

Riding on the roads is different - 60 will blend in with traffic more.. in theory. However there's a significant problem - bikes are not designed nor perceived (by other road users) to go that fast. You might be comfortable doing 60 in traffic but most motorists won't even see you coming. They see a bike and they'll think it's traveling at a bike speed. If you must travel at 60 get a motorbike! it will come with motorbike tyres, motorbike brakes, motorbike lights (motorists don't pull out in front of a motorbike as often as in front of a bike) and you will even be covered by TAC. Of course it doesn't come for free.

Hey, I don't expect you to understand all that - it took me some 20 years to stop using the roads :twisted:

full-throttle said:
..... They see a bike and they'll think it's traveling at a bike speed.

Totally agree. It has caught me out on both ebikes and pedal bikes, people just expect bikes to be slow.

Yes I too increased the power off my bike, and cruised around at 50kph, feeling safer because I was giving cars more time to overtake me. But, all my hits and close calls have been from drivers misjudging my speed, and cutting across infront of me. I always came off second best.

Yeah I agree with all points, I should clarify. The only time I ride flat out is in the bush, I actually ride slower on bike paths than most roadies do :roll: It's no hassle for me to slow down for peds, kids etc as I can easily speed back up but for roadies its the end of the world so they plow on through. As you say even 35 can be too fast sometimes. Like everything, some paths allow higher speeds, some necessitate slower speeds. You could belt along some of those big ones along your freeways in Melbourne.

And yeah you're right that perception on the road is a big issue. If you're riding with traffic you're probably better off at higher speeds, then then it's people entering from the side or turning across you that will underestimate your speed (or just hate bikes and disregard you) and take you out. As I said before, on the road I ride around 40km/hr. To me this is a good enough speed to cover the distance in a reasonable time while still being able to comfortably pedal and can stop quick enough to avoid almost any encounter. But yeah, I look forward to the day when there's a light e-motorbike/moped category that offers some advantage over a full bike license/rego/insurance. I'll be the first person to sign up.

Meanwhile stinkybikes continue to act as a convenient decoy here in 'Struggletown West'. The same day this was published I gave my ebike a burst next to a Falcodore in central Ballarat. The Metallic Blue Highways Patrol car that turned out to be behind me didn't blink an eye as we all shot across the intersection and carried on our merry way. And the Aprilia is pretty boxy.

Police must have been too busy scanning the horizon for noisy bogans on stinkies apparently. Usual comments from pensioners demanding to be outraged between Alan Jones segments...
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1159029/crackdown-on-motorised-bikes/?cs=62

..Ballarat Highway Patrol members say push bikes with motors attached to them are becoming more common, with many people riding them illegally.

Police say most of the bikes equipped with motors around Ballarat are big enough for them to be classed as motorbikes, meaning they need to be registered and riders need to be licensed.

However, a lot of riders continue to hit the road illegally..

..Often the motors for the bikes are sourced from China via the internet and fitted to the bikes illegally, or the entire vehicles are shipped in from overseas..
Someone must be converting a lot of bikes in Ballarat :lol:

Nearly every day I see this guy on a Vespa style e-scooter on the bikepath around Hawthorn. He's not going fast, doesn't bother anyone and doesn't even pedal. No one seem to care.

I think it's the two stroke sound. I passed two from the local wrecking yard a few months back. Gorillas with tattoos doing maybe 25kph. All noise and sputter.
Wanted to know where to get an ebike :shock:

full-throttle said:
You might be comfortable doing 60 in traffic but most motorists won't even see you coming. They see a bike and they'll think it's traveling at a bike speed.

The problem goes further than you think. Last week, I was doing 53 in a 50 zone (slight down hill) on my CF racer. Car tries to overtake me, and doesn't even realise how fast I am going, despite following me. Underestimates the distance required to overtake, and a car is coming the other way before he can safely merge back in. His choice is to have a head on, or come back into the lane, cleaning me up in the process. I take that choice out of his hands, and skid to give him room to come in.

full-throttle said:
If you must travel at 60 get a motorbike! it will come with motorbike tyres, motorbike brakes, motorbike lights (motorists don't pull out in front of a motorbike as often as in front of a bike) and you will even be covered by TAC. Of course it doesn't come for free.

I reckon I can stop faster on my CF Racer than I can on my old CBR250RR. Hell, I think even my 20 year old mountain bike's centre pull V-brakes were better before I put the 15kg+ of battery and motor on, and not much worse after I put those on. I think you'd be surprised at what good quality pads, on a newish rim can do - They can outperform a mediocre hydraulic disc brake. Everything else is right though.

Samd said:
Meanwhile stinkybikes continue to act as a convenient decoy here in 'Struggletown West'. The same day this was published I gave my ebike a burst next to a Falcodore in central Ballarat. The Metallic Blue Highways Patrol car that turned out to be behind me didn't blink an eye as we all shot across the intersection and carried on our merry way. And the Aprilia is pretty boxy.

Police must have been too busy scanning the horizon for noisy bogans on stinkies apparently. Usual comments from pensioners demanding to be outraged between Alan Jones segments...
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1159029/crackdown-on-motorised-bikes/?cs=62

My understanding was it's not technically illegal as there is no direct law against operating a bicycle intoxicated, the closest law they have is the 'operating a carriage (horse and cart) intoxicated' and 'Public intoxication' (I recall we have a BAC for walking in public....)

That being said, screw riding drunk that's a pretty easy way to get collected or plow into something...

These are the only $ offensise in vic, other state differ greatly.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/EE5A2CBF-8F62-44B1-B70E-359851706206/0/cyclefines2007v2.pdf

+1 for use of Falcadore 8) hehehe

Sunder said:
The problem goes further than you think.
I just left that one out for clarity :D
Yes, it's amusing to watch motorists slamming on the brakes after they finish overtaking a cyclist traveling at 50+ in a 50 zone
Wonder what goes in their heads "there goes a bike. must overtake.. or the world will end.. ah, that's better. check the speedo. oh crap 70kph! BRAKES"

Sunder said:
I think you'd be surprised at what good quality pads, on a newish rim can do - They can outperform a mediocre hydraulic disc brake.
Only in the dry. 'Mediocre' is the keyword. We should prob go back on topic before Chalo sees this :wink:

It is an offence in South Australia to ride a bicycle whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs. You can't be charged with P.C.A just D.U.I. I can assist you with any questions re Police laws 8) :D . I can honestly tell you that police aren't interested in E bikes. Just don't do anything stupid (dangerous) and we will leave u alone. the 250 watt laws are flawed anyway. Long story short most police dont understand electronics and if u wer ever quizzed, a polite white lie about your e bikes power output would get you off. Even if a police officer wanted to report you for drive unlicenced, unreg etc he needs to prove your bikes power output. It would get thrown out by prosecution.

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask..... :D

Holy shit guys it's the cops, everyone scatter! :lol:

Welcome to ES Sirbevalot, it's good to hear your practical and sensible view on ebike laws and their flaws and inconsistencies from a police point of view. Your comments echo those I've had from a number of other cops and reinforces what most of us have found - don't be stupid and draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine. I guess you're here as an ebike enthusiast rather than an appointed police spokesman and that the view of other cops will vary but it's nice to know that any charges would be thrown out by the prosecution.

As for riding drunk, laws aside that's just stupid. It's hard enough to avoid becoming road pizza as it is!
In my experience it's the guys on the gas bikes that are often riding drunk and otherwise drawing negative attention to themselves. I wonder how many of them are riding as a result of getting done for DUI in the first place... :roll:

Hmmm, putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with Pi plus change,
it's no wonder the police want stinkybikes to be seen as motor vehicles if they can't charge you under an existing law for DUI on a bike. They need it to be something other than a bike to get you from being a lout.

I might send the local stinkygorillas a Christmas present - they have provided > 12 months of effective decoy for me. I owe those Falcodore folk and their whipper snipper 20kph deathtraps big time.

Samd said:
Hmmm, putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with Pi plus change,
it's no wonder the police want stinkybikes to be seen as motor vehicles if they can't charge you under an existing law for DUI on a bike. They need it to be something other than a bike to get you from being a lout.

I might send the local stinkygorillas a Christmas present - they have provided > 12 months of effective decoy for me. I owe those Falcodore folk and their whipper snipper 20kph deathtraps big time.

Mostly those bikes are considered motor vehicles anyway, because they have proudly stamped on them that they're 2hp or 4hp motors...

I have a friend who does a lot of traffic infringement work. Mostly he hates those cases (but gets a lot, because his practice is out west, in Parramatta), but under his code of ethics as a lawyer, still has to do his best to defend them, so his general advice to them is that he may be able to get leniency, rather than absolution, and gets his clients permission to represent them that way.

HYENA,

You better run :lol: :lol: :lol:

But i am here as an E bike supporter. I hate the gas bikes. They are normally blokes that lost their licence yes (wankers).

I'm glad to see that someone sees some sense in sustainable, affordable transport.

Biggest problem in the country is the RTA wanting revenue from everything they can possibly think of, and making the enforcers (police) out to be the bad guys - the police are the meat in the sandwich - squashed between the pointless government mantra of speed kills - and drivers - which is causing a MAJOR problem on the roads - no-one knows how to overtake any more - so they take dangerous risks to avoid exceeding the speed limit - they sit parallel to the person they are overtaking on a dual lane road (!!!) and narrowly avoid a head-on collision with oncoming traffic. I have some very interesting footage from an in-car camera that almost resulted in a horrendous accident. Not once, but 7 times in 200 Klms. Holy shit. Not the same driver, but the same situation, over and over again. Only one person knew how to overtake. One. In 200 klms. :shock:

We have big signs showing motorcyclists how to plan turns, why don't we do the same for overtaking? Can't anyone in this frigging country drive?

But I digress...

We have too many different regulations - the idea of a moped/50cc class that requires only a car license as per QLD and WA(?) - is excellent. My commute every day rarely exceeds 50Kph, with an average speed of 35Kph or less.

There is usually a reason why those guys have lost their licenses, and it is usually not because they are careful, sober, obedient or courteous drivers - and rarely are as riders either.

A moped/750W/1HP/50Kph class is sorely needed to be standardised across the country.

Carbon tax = farce, this country has no interest in supporting sustainable transport/living. Anyone watching the REC multipliers at the moment either?

heathyoung said:
Can't anyone in this frigging country drive?
My key to survival is to assume everyone in cars are TRYING to hit me and to ride accordingly. I always sit off the back quarter panel of cars when riding along in slowish traffic so even if they suddenly turn or move over the onus is on me to brake slightly to avoid impact. Of course this requires some common sense, and that of self preservation. There's a roadie at work who has been hit by cars a number of times, the most recent of which nearly killed him and he needed a hip reconstruction afterwards. He has this stupid mentality that he's in the right and that everyone will do the right thing and give way to him as if he is any other vehicle on the road and that everyone on the road is miraculously aware of his presence and exact location at all times. Sure you can stick to your guns if you're driving a shit box and some arrogant wanker in his $100,000 Mercedes wants to pull out in front of you (I used to frequently think "make my day!" as these types would do this) but when you're essentially riding a broom stick and they're in a tank you're always going to come off second best.

Carbon tax = farce, this country has no interest in supporting sustainable transport/living. Anyone watching the REC multipliers at the moment either?
That's a whole different topic, but yeah :evil:
I'm glad I got the 60c/kw feed in tariff locked in for another few years on my solar array but the day it runs out I'll be promptly yanking the wires out of the smart meter and setting up a huge battery bank to power as much of the house as I can. Panels are alot cheaper these days that they used to be but the govt's incentive for people to go solar is non-existant now. Last I heard they were offering something rediculous like 6c/kw. Who in their right mind would pay thousands for a solar set up only for the govt to take that power and sell it back to you at 4 times the price ?!
But yeah, that's off topic! Unless we rename this topic to "why the Australian Govt sucks" :p

200W is fairly gutless.
The restrictions for the "high powered" 250W is a joke.
The mandatory need for peddle assist is pretty piss poor, what, turn the pedals you get power??? lol. and whats with the 25kmh limit, are they purposely trying to make ebikes crap? Peoplpe would be more inclinded to use a bike instead of a car if it was more practicle and easier to ride. Regulating assistance for casual average speed rec use is pointless when trying to be a serious alternative to the car. For example when I was single and rode daily I could hammer my bike around pretty dam quickly, it was actually useful. I'm sure I personally had more power and speed then the current crop of 200W bikes.
Why not just say 250W for everyone, I'll agree peddle assist is pretty handy but dont make it a requirement
If you have a car licence 500W limit
If you have a motorbike licence 1000W limit

I've been riding a push bike casually for years. I avoid main roads and i still use the footpaths when I dont think its safe to use the road. I've been pulled up once. I told him I'd rather risk the fine then the road. Probably because I go slow and dont be a tool on foot paths

6c/kw lol, power companies can't loose, reminds me of fuel with ethanol, its illegl and bad for your car until the govt taxes it, then its good for your car and the environment

A cop came our safety meeting a few months ago, the job we were doing drove country a lot. Poor bugger had moved over to driver education, carnage he had to deal with. That question regarding what to do when overtaking someone doing say 10 under the limit came up if there's a radar your just gonna cop a fine, to us that meant overtime payment due :lol: and hopefully not collect too many :?
Off topic :arrow: NSW was well over subscribed gangster, was over there to doing the free 1.5kW and $.60C gross.
Might as well use micro inverter panels there now, guerilla style :evil: and go net, not too bad here with net.

I'm curious to know how many people that have been charged for having an overpowered e bike or for speeding on one, does anyone know of someone being charged?, I'm sure some of us may have slightly more than the allowed power output (only slightly and very few), the only one that I have ever heard of is this case http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19906

Back