Back after so many years ! Buzzraw 750x upgrade !

okp

100 kW
Hi folks,

It's been a while. For me, everything started here 6 years ago on Electric Skateboarding. I'm asking for some support or guidance or just tell me: no your project is dumb !

In fact, I ordered a Super73 RX eBike as I wanted something ready to ride with a cool design. Unfortunately it has been pushed up to October. A friend of mine rented me his Super73 (old generation), and that was almost the first time I enjoyed commuting on a bike. It's so much fun.

At the same time, I've been into DIY for years, and I made an electric trike using a Magic Pie v5 (front wheel hub) and I was looking to sell it, but you know trikes are not the business as usual ride activity in Paris ! I can build battery packs, it's all good.

So here we go, I'm now thinking to make an electric bike and if I can leverage the existing Magic Pie to make this bike, this is still money not spent while waiting for the Super 73... knowing that I'll give this bike to my wife so we can cruise together.

I'll still need to find a good looking bike to put that hub on, if it can go a bit all terrain it's even better... and I'll need if that works to change the rotation sense of the Magic Pie. Let me know guys what you think.

Video of my eTrike !

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bww8yMeBCFc/

The Magic Pie I have is the 20"

download.jpg

You should really scrap the Super 73 idea, cancel the order or take a loss and sell it. The way to roam around on an ebike is to have something that looks like a bicycle from every angle and not some motorcycle, moped, scooter because you are going to have a large neon sign with a big arrow pointing to your Super 73 motorcycle with no license plate, no insurance, no registration and probably no drivers license. I can't see the Paris Policia being any different then any North American fuzz.

What you really need is a normal bicycle, like a Trek, Norco, Kona...... and install a hub motor, controller and throttle, then if you want pedal assist get the KT controller with the display. So, go ahead and throw your magic pie onto any ole bicycle, used or new. Hopefully the wheel size is the same, otherwise you need to get it laced into the proper wheel size for the bike. Then you need a controller to match the battery voltage. But please, I mean the Super 73 aint as bad as the Motorino thing or an Enduro, but come on man you want to blend in not stick out.

With the super73rx that you are riding now to commute, you are already above the power limits of the Pedelec laws in EU. If they let you ride with it, you can consider building such bikes as we are riding here: Old school Downhill bikes 10-15 years old, big DD hub motor fed high power to match motorcycle performance. That is a big step up from a super73, yet still a bicycle look. So I would first look for an Old DH, mount your magic pie on the rear of it to try, then eventually buy a big hub such as a QS205h50 or a Muxxus 3k with a 200A controller and low resistance RC lipo.

After riding that kind of power, I bet it is the super73 that you will give to your wife.

hey markz, thanks a lot for the message and feedback.

Hey MadRhino, thanks a lot mate too ! In fact, the Super73 is allowed in Paris as it's seen as a bicycle. The off-road kit will give more power but you can still ride at 25km/h which is OK from a regulatory standpoint. Most of the time, with the existing S73 a friend shared with me, I'm commuting and pedaling at 30km/h but on areas where I have that visibility and so far, no problem has been raised and I'm still under that radar. So if I can get something that goes at 25km/h and that I can unleash to move to 45km/h for the extra stuff (of course on private areas). I'm good.

What I like in the S73 is the look. I know that it's kind of personal preference but I'll be using that bike to commute in Paris, chilling and that old school look is what I would be looking for.

What would be a good old DH bike you can recommend. I'm probably better at skateboarding than biking. Most of the bikes that I see are around 2000 euros. I saw that stuff as an example on google images

832c232e3cf6c9640d4ba9fdad0689ab.jpg

The Magic Pie could be laced into a 24" or 26" wheel to be used as the front hub motor on a bike having a non suspension, steel front fork. Something like a Townie or any bike with a steel front fork would be ideal, just not a suspension fork. A bag on a rear rack could carry the battery and perhaps a few other items. I rode a direct drive front hub, rear battery bike for 6 years, it worked very well. The bike could have shifting on the front and rear or just on the rear, either will work .

Your 73 RX will have a better ride than the 73 and look more like a bike too.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it works.

Best wishes,

Mike S

thanks a lot Mike. It reminds me when I joined ES years ago. I had an Evolve board which was a late delivery and in the meanwhile, I decided to go DIY and learn how to build and teach people to build electric boards ! Seems I'm heading that way again.

My big challenge is that the actual Magic Pie 5 I got on 20, does not seem to be "laceable" but I may be wrong

products-MP5-20F__26641.1477152286.1280.1280.jpg

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/magic-pie-5-vector-20-inch-front-conversion-kit/

so maybe my only plan would be to do a Super73 my way such as the Banana from LunaCycle

https://lunacycle.com/luna-banana-bbshd-ebike/

7a560d7bb3314cddba8a445e47f3eeb3.jpeg

I could also buy a frame and assemble everything myself too.

Your 20’’ cast rim does fit a 16’’ motorcycle tire. A DH frame does clear 2.5 min, some 3.0’’ tire. That is a good reason to try it temporarily on the rear of a DH bike, to know how you’d like riding it with higher power. 15 yr old DH bikes are not expansive, and usually equipped with robust components that are easy to rebuild as new: big disc brakes, oil bath fork, spring shock, chain guide and bash guard...

That motorcycle thing of yours isnt actually all that bad compared to other monstrosities we've seen here at Endless Sphere. I would say its one step outside the "boundries" where as that Motorino is outtabounds 10' outside.

I would make it a point though to highlite the pedals and crank arms and crank. Maybe black everything, and white as mentioned.

youre not going to get a fat tire on that rim, heres a link to what I think is a pretty cool bike, full suspension with 20 inch tires and a discussion about tires

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18511&hilit=pirelli#p274342

thanks a lot guys for helping me on my thinking. Big up to you mark, goatman and madrhino

In fact if I had the ability to do the Super73 RX myself, I would go for it. It's not rocket science, but I don't have the frame. Of course, I will not have any app, but I don't care. I can make myself the battery pack and save money and just get the frame, controller and hub/bafang stuff. My purpose is to ride it at 25/30km in the city (I usually ride chill) and when I have huge visibility or when I am alone on a long distance, far from human eye, unleash the power and get insane torque and speed.

So .... maybe... my dream bike would be something like this...

VAPOUR-EBIKE.jpg

I know it seems I'm going in circles. I just don't know what is a "good" DH bike, I see suspensions etc but I've a big learning curve as I've never ever been into bikes.

I believe my magic pie can reach 40km/h on 12S (that's what I'm getting on my electric trike) but I really don't know if it's going to be comfy to ride it... and if I get a DH bike, it's gonna cost me 1K... so maybe worth saving these 1K for a more "proper" bike ... and sell that electric trike to get some funding for it.

yes, exactly - I was looking on google image, then YouTube and found it.

https://www.cloudsto.com/ebikes/kirbebike-vapour/kirbebike-vapour-full-suspension-emtb-detail.html

this seem to be pretty sick and will probably blast the Super73 easily but that's a lot of money. There is also the possibility to get everything directly on aliexpress but this will not credit the author for his hard work and commitment.

in addition, I would also like the throttle so I don't know at what point all of this is customizable. Basically, I would like to have a electric bike that looks like a bike... with the power of a Sur Ron light bee !

okp said:
...I just don't know what is a "good" DH bike

Just look at those that were winning the DH races 10-15 years ago. Among them, there are some with 150 mm wide rear axle and bolt-on dropout plates, they are easier to build. Some are still equipped today with the overbuilt components that were common in racing then, that is an easy way to build well above bicycle grade.

A good rider can make the ride smooth and survive pretty long on a cheap bike. Still, even with experienced riders, this is a jackass type vid. In the hands of a beginner, this ride could have been catastrophic. Newbs are crashing when their brake fails, when their handlebar is crooked on landing, when the bike is fishtailing out of a turn... they are even crashing for fear of crashing sometimes.

The real problem with wallbikes, is frame and components fatigue. They break under you after a while. Hope it is not when you are speeding in trafic.

thanks folks ! This is the Etrike and the Magic Pie. I didn't managed to put some photos before because it was held in my storage but it's taking some space due to the etrike inherent size.

I may be a bit stupid but what is the difference between a front hub or rear hub magic pie?

My dream would be to put this hub on the rear and to have the ability to pedal as a normal bike (so people will be friendly on bike lines) but have also the ability to push the trigger.

Is this possible?

52cfe6886ffe4021d793b127af1b568038e1a268.jpeg

ed0d60afd95cdabe608bf71ff3ba725f67b5df24.jpeg

c8c7a103698c0e4cf4f2bfb03e34fa6d52fb6c48.jpeg

0026e2d4f60cdf243ac813c1281d62a5179b4833.jpeg

eab500e1125b99a839f44bea83128b3fcd49c315.jpeg

You can fit a front hub on the rear to try but it has no freewheel mount, so no chain. A rear motor can’t be fitted on the front unless you are willing to make a custom fork for its width.

Drifting trikes are hell of fun, but hard to sell unless there is a drifting community around there. :twisted:

yes exactly. I would love to ride it but I don't live in a house, so it's very painful to move it. I'm going to sell it for 750 euros and add a 12S8AH pack to the game. I hope this is gonna sell so I can start purchasing what is gonna be my next electric bike.

Oh nice the legendary Okp is here now!

I'm also here from the esk8 forums building my first ebike lol

I already have a chassis and suspension on order still thinking about the power train I want to use.

hey bro ! great to see you there to. ES is basically where everything started for me back in the days. It's like going back to my roots and it's such a nice place.

MadRhino, markz, guys some fresh news ! I had the chance to chat with one guy that I met years ago, let's say a friend of a friend of a friend who is in Paris and he has imported a coast cycle buzzraw X 750 from the states via a shop (so the shop can get the VAT).

https://www.coastcycles.com/buzzrawx750

he paid 4200 euros for it just ... 10 days ago and don't want the bike anymore because he prefers other way to commute. He's selling me it at 2500 euros. It's the US version of the Buzzraw 750X

I just went for a test ride last hour and it's a whole new world with the dual suspension and frame style. I think he didn't care that much because their was noise on the belt (the belt was too tight) and he was like it's ok. We untighten it and it's perfect. I was not that impressed by the power (the torque) but he didn't had the trigger set up, but it's still very decent.

The only challenge I have is that the guarantee is a bit a story, I'm going to contact Coast Cycle in US to see how that can go but 2500 for a new bike like this, compared to what he bought seems a good deal. Second challenge is the legality of the bike which of course is a no go, but I'm not a crazy guy and been riding ESK8 in Paris, talking to cops to provide awareness etc... so I'm very very careful when it comes to security of people.

If I look at the US website, it's maximum 35km/h top speed BUT on the French site, it's given for 25km/h (the exact same bike).

Would you pull the trigger ?

Some photos of the bike.

f9e25c75dea5292bea8682d753214b0343c52fc6.jpeg

b9982166424f41bebdeeae6cc5877eab36c0f8a6_2_1332x1000.jpeg

519345e2603adab806f66b90da4cae22dc52501b_2_1332x1000.jpeg

a0e6b8fc256b11acbb406c41fec237d5e3f495bd_2_1332x1000.jpeg

The hub motor is a Bafang

2409a2b6141582412615ae63447ed78872286b94.jpeg

The bike is very popular. Easy to upgrade and sell with a profit. Looks funny with those BOA slicks. :wink:

thanks MadRhino, so for you... it would be a good opportunity right? especially at this price tag; with the invoice etc..

I just need to acknowledge that if there is an issue on the Bafang, I'll need to manage that myself. The upgrade capabilities are also something great and 2500 euros price tag is somehow still expensive but also very decent.

The guy bought it on 17 June 2020.

I'm sad. This morning I sold my eTrike. A father with his kid came and bought it. I know it's a good thing because I can pull the trigger on the Coast Cycle Buzzraw more easily.... but it's such a crazy feeling to have a beautiful and fun toy going out of your way.

I enjoyed every minute with this trike !

I'm now getting close to the Coast Cycle Buzzraw X 750

6019e22f5ec7db8014741a2818609fc60bf491df.jpeg

Back