Back on the road, update to drowned 5304

Thanks to Fechter, I Am Oz, Justin and Electric Rider I'm mostly back on the road. All I lack at the moment is the correct way to hook up my Watts Up meter because when I took everything apart I failed to mark where the wires came from so I would know how to put them back. The new Crystalyte 4840 controller appears much more water resistant and would be easier to wire were I to use the new motor which I don't think I need. The controller even has a heat sink design and a marked on/off switch. No reverse.

I tried, tried hard to follow Fechter's instructions on testing the Hall sensors in the motor but pretty much failed to get the positive result he obtained using a magnet but at least I got a probably result. Then, following I Am Oz's instructions I put the motor back together and tested again and did get the positive result so that when I put the new controller on I had some confidence the motor would work and it did. I've run it a couple of miles for a test ride and it's as good as new, I think.

When ordering from Electric Rider they automatically check the FedEx box to have an adult signature for delivery. FedEx is a real asshole about this and will not deliver unless someone is home even if you leave a signed note. If no one is going to be home and it's OK to leave your package at the door make sure you tell Electric Rider not to check that box. I paid for 2nd day and even though someone was home after noon they wouldn't deliver until the next day when my bride would be home. Pissed me off and I wrote FedEx a letter of protest. Their rep even talked with Electric Rider who told them it would be OK but the FedEx attitude was the same.

Naturally once everything was pretty much done I came down with a killer cold and haven't been able to work on anything 'till today. I'l experiment wiring the Watts Up and not worry too much about blowing it as the bottom line on it blew when the controller blew. I'll be happy to take wiring suggestions. It was utilizing a three wire hookup and worked great.

Anybody know what the extra connection on the new controller is four. I have three plug in leads from the cruise and brake levers but there is one more small one. Could it be for a meter like Justins'?

Mike

That's it, I had the diagram in my file which I finally found. I'm using the three wire hookup and it works fine except for the blown lower section of the Watts Up and will order a replacement this evening.

It turns out when everything fried the key switch fried too. It worked for a moment, then for a few seconds and now not at all. Using an ohm meter it's fine but any load and the circuit is gone. Another order for Electric Rider. I have a 50 amp fuse I used when I ran SLA's and I think I'll put it back on.
Mike

The small extra connector on the C'lyte Mk2 controller is a pedal sensor. Useful only if your jurisdiction insists on pedalecs.

mvadventure said:
It turns out when everything fried the key switch fried too.

Those key switches are not big enough for the load they take.

Go to a an ace or similar hardware store and get a 30 Amp tractor / riding mower ignition.

Auto ignitions won't work, they send low 20A current to a solonoid.

Back