Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Got a new controller installed. Yeehaa! Its running great on pas settings. Break cutoffs working also. No throttle response at all.

Update: Throttle was dead also. Looks like a Pinched display cable shorted live battery voltage to several adjacent wires in the cable. :oops: Killed both the com link to the controller and killed the throttle. :cry: The evils of running high voltage in the same cable as your low voltage single wires! :evil:

Thanks for the lessons!

Where did you get a controller so fast?

Glad you're running!

Matt at http://www.empoweredcycles.com/ had stock and custom programmed it and was (shipped it immediately) here within a few days. The cable with battery voltage is a real potential hazard. There must be a better way to get a battery level meter reading to the display. Not happy at all with myself for letting the bike drop into hard objects, but this was a very mild hit. Guess its the Wrong place to keep the bike near the wood working equipment or Wrong time to have the battery connected when I was not going out with it immediately. Running now.

Hi all, I recently bought a 750w 48v BBS02 kit from BMS battery, When it arrived it had a strange fault where the unit would power on and work fine but then once it was powered off then back on it showed er30 on the C961 display with no throttle or pas power when error shows and the error would remain there until it was left unplugged from battery for around 12 hours or more, Contacted bms battery and after a long dispute about who should pay for new display and for postage with the seller they finally sent a new display but advised i did not get a second C961 so i picked the C963 instead, Now with the new C963 installed the bike is still showing the same error 30 after power cycle so I'm guessing fault lies within the motor assembly/motor controller or the wiring harness, BMS battery are now ignoring all of my emails and when i contact them via live chat they stop replying once the realise its me, Now i guess im stuck with it so have no choice but to try to fix it, Does anyone know what could cause this fault or how i can go about finding the fault, also when i have it all open i read upgrading the mosfets might be a good idea too? Brilliant wee bike when it works just i cant use it as much as i like due to it rarely starting, few times now ive left it plugged out for days then planned a nice wee cycle then once powered up i get the error so it doesn't always work after being left, I know fault is nto the display so think i should try cheapest thing next, Anyone got a wiring harness for sale, Or should i make my own?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=149514

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=149514

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=958989&hilit=communication+abnormality#p959053

campbell1987 said:
Hi all, I recently bought a 750w 48v BBS02 kit from BMS battery, When it arrived it had a strange fault where the unit would power on and work fine but then once it was powered off then back on it showed er30 on the C961 display with no throttle or pas power when error shows and the error would remain there until it was left unplugged from battery for around 12 hours or more, Contacted bms battery and after a long dispute about who should pay for new display and for postage with the seller they finally sent a new display but advised i did not get a second C961 so i picked the C963 instead, Now with the new C963 installed the bike is still showing the same error 30 after power cycle so I'm guessing fault lies within the motor assembly/motor controller or the wiring harness, BMS battery are now ignoring all of my emails and when i contact them via live chat they stop replying once the realise its me, Now i guess im stuck with it so have no choice but to try to fix it, Does anyone know what could cause this fault or how i can go about finding the fault, also when i have it all open i read upgrading the mosfets might be a good idea too? Brilliant wee bike when it works just i cant use it as much as i like due to it rarely starting, few times now ive left it plugged out for days then planned a nice wee cycle then once powered up i get the error so it doesn't always work after being left, I know fault is nto the display so think i should try cheapest thing next, Anyone got a wiring harness for sale, Or should i make my own?

And why are you "stuck with it"? I received a 750 kit from a Ebay that dumped right after I got it. I contacted PayPal and my credit card (American express) and got every dime back including shipping. And they didn't want to pay for return shipping and customs so I still have the bad kit. It only need FETs to be installed and a damaged wire repaired. So talk to you credit card company or PayPal if you used them.

Bob

dumbass said:
And why are you "stuck with it"? I received a 750 kit from a Ebay that dumped right after I got it. I contacted PayPal and my credit card (American express) and got every dime back including shipping. And they didn't want to pay for return shipping and customs so I still have the bad kit. It only need FETs to be installed and a damaged wire repaired. So talk to you credit card company or PayPal if you used them.

Bob

I have contacted paypal, they replied a few hours ago saying return it for refund minus return shipping, Not really happy with that solution, Why should I be at a loss?
I was going to just buy a new controller and new wiring harness from EMPowered cycles and have controller set to 18 amps so hopefully that prevents any faults in future,

Also would anyone have a faulty C961 display they could sell? I just need a replacement LCD as i accidentally cracked mine when i had it upside down working on it, Dont really like the C963 as much,

I know this is slightly off topic, but I've searched everywhere and can't find the relevant info.

Who is the supplier currently making Bafang BBS-02 wiring looms for the CA? I'm hoping to get rid of my LCD and replace it with a CA. (in which case I'm happy to sell it on)

campbell1987 said:
dumbass said:

Bob

I have contacted paypal, they replied a few hours ago saying return it for refund minus return shipping, Not really happy with that solution, Why should I be at a loss?
I was going to just buy a new controller and new wiring harness from EMPowered cycles and have controller set to 18 amps so hopefully that prevents any faults in future,

Also would anyone have a faulty C961 display they could sell? I just need a replacement LCD as i accidentally cracked mine when i had it upside down working on it, Dont really like the C963 as much,

I agree, you shouldn't have to pay the shipping. So argue your case with PayPAl. You were sent a defective item and you should not be held responsible for return shipping. Talk to your credit card company about stopping the payment. Technically, when I had my problem I contacted PayPal first as you did. Then I contacted American Express. PayPal sent me an email saying they were jumping out because 2 companies can't go after the same money. But it was PayPay (China's Branch) that actually sent me an email indicating they would give me a full refund including all shipping and duties. The total was $550. Nothing was ever mentioned about what to do with the bad motor. So one year later it's still sitting here collecting dust. But I have now bought a new controller for it and someday when I have nothing else to do I'll get it running. BTW, my seller told me he didn't want the kit sent back because of the shipping cost and the "reverse" duties on it would be more then what he paid for it in the first place. Your situation is just like the scams some vendors pull on EBay. They are the lowest priced seller of widgets except for the shipping. So they sell you the widget for $10 and $20 for shipping. About the same total as other sellers with free shipping. But if you are unhappy with the product they say 30 day refund but only on the $10.

Have you contacted your credit card company that you pay your PayPal with? I ask this because some CC have what I call a 90 day O'Crap clause. In other words if an item is lost, break or stolen within 90 days the CC will refund your money 100%. I bought a new bike and got bumped by a car 4 days later. The repair was more then the bike cost. So American Express credited my account for $300. The cost of the bike. Same with a camera I dropped. And I bought a laptop for my sister. She knocked it off the table and call me to say how sorry she was it happened. I call AX told them what happened and it was only 60 days old and they again credited my account. So check into it. Maybe yours is the same way. Unless you used your bank account for PayPal payment.

Bob

Have had my BBS02 for 10 months and 2000 miles, first major problem today...

Last week, the display/controller began to turn off a second or so after I turned it on, if I was turning it on after a few hours without use. It wouldn't turn on again until I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Worked normally after that.

Today, it started with the same problem, but then turned off while riding. Got a mile out of it after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery the first time, then three miles, then after that it wouldn't stay on for more than 10-15 seconds. Had a tough non-assisted commute uphill after that with the battery as dead weight.

Battery has at least 2/3 charge, as indicated by the display and known capacity.

Other symptoms:
--LED on wheel speed sensor used to be on whenever battery was connected, now is usually off and turns on when wheel starts to spin
--Odometer on display has reset itself, with no input from me

Any suggestions where to start? Have any of you had a similar problem?

Mark

Problem solved (I think), narrowed down to a loose connection between the battery and the motor.

Apparent odometer reset was simply a bad segment on the LCD display.

dumbass said:
I agree, you shouldn't have to pay the shipping. So argue your case with PayPAl. You were sent a defective item and you should not be held responsible for return shipping. Talk to your credit card company about stopping the payment. Technically, when I had my problem I contacted PayPal first as you did. Then I contacted American Express. PayPal sent me an email saying they were jumping out because 2 companies can't go after the same money. But it was PayPay (China's Branch) that actually sent me an email indicating they would give me a full refund including all shipping and duties. The total was $550. Nothing was ever mentioned about what to do with the bad motor. So one year later it's still sitting here collecting dust. But I have now bought a new controller for it and someday when I have nothing else to do I'll get it running. BTW, my seller told me he didn't want the kit sent back because of the shipping cost and the "reverse" duties on it would be more then what he paid for it in the first place. Your situation is just like the scams some vendors pull on EBay. They are the lowest priced seller of widgets except for the shipping. So they sell you the widget for $10 and $20 for shipping. About the same total as other sellers with free shipping. But if you are unhappy with the product they say 30 day refund but only on the $10.

Have you contacted your credit card company that you pay your PayPal with? I ask this because some CC have what I call a 90 day O'Crap clause. In other words if an item is lost, break or stolen within 90 days the CC will refund your money 100%. I bought a new bike and got bumped by a car 4 days later. The repair was more then the bike cost. So American Express credited my account for $300. The cost of the bike. Same with a camera I dropped. And I bought a laptop for my sister. She knocked it off the table and call me to say how sorry she was it happened. I call AX told them what happened and it was only 60 days old and they again credited my account. So check into it. Maybe yours is the same way. Unless you used your bank account for PayPal payment.

Bob

Paypal are saying they can not do anything else because funds came from debit card, they said to contact the card company so i did and they are now saying because they offered to return for refund they can do nothing even though i said the return postage cost £120 gbp, I have soldering equipment and a lot of wires lying about so if i got some sort of schematic for the motors wiring i could probably rewire it myself, or has anyone attempted this before?

Have you checked the connections inside the motor/ controller casing. They can come loose and are / should be glued on at the factory. Yours sounds like a intermittent connection issue and does not sound like a display issue to me. I would not mess with any of the wiring. Something as simple as a Faulty throttle may be causing some of the issues. Simple things first. Fighting with long distance suppliers is not the best path if you want things to just work. In my experience No matter what, it ends up costing you more time and hassle then its worth.

speedmd said:
Have you checked the connections inside the motor/ controller casing. They can come loose and are / should be glued on at the factory. Yours sounds like a intermittent connection issue and does not sound like a display issue to me. I would not mess with any of the wiring. Something as simple as a Faulty throttle may be causing some of the issues. Simple things first. Fighting with long distance suppliers is not the best path if you want things to just work. In my experience No matter what, it ends up costing you more time and hassle then its worth.

Tell me about it, nothing but stress since the thing arrived, Ive just took it apart and all connections looked good and were securely glued in, I disconnected and reconnected all internal connections and still getting error 30, Do i need to chip away all this potting silicone material to get at the controller board? If so is there any easy methods.

I would try another throttle first, and a new controller second. Dont mess with the controller unless you really know what your doing. It is hours just to dig out and the chance you trash it is high. You can ring out the cables if you have the patience to deal with the tiny pins also. Just one of those tiny female contacts in this cascade of wire (rats nest) not making great contact may be all that is causing this com failure. Try contact cleaner on the connection points also. It is a classic example of a poster child for a long term low reliability setup IMO. It is like a crazy hot chic. The fun times make you kind of forget about the trouble it causes you overall.

Ive started to strip out all the silicone stuff, Want to upgrade mosfets and hopefully find the lose connection,

jidn5w.jpg

Just turned it on without heat sink, Think I blew a mosfet, deffo seems to be lose wire though cause when i power it on i get error 30 then move wires and it comes on, Mosfets currently on this are 6 75nf75 and 3 irfb4310 rectifiers, Should i replace all 9 or just the mosfets?

Error code 12 - Bafang BBS2 500W with C961 display

Upon startup this week 80% of time over 20 rides, I get error code 12 and bafang non-functioning. Shutting off and restarting consistently clears code and then runs smooth for miles.

From C961 Manual error code 12 is "current sensor abnormality", which I believe is correct for code (old BBS manual I have says code 12 is "Temperature inside of battery is
un-normal") (Random red herring or possible important detail, at 600 miles it started randomly adding resistance when not assisting (if you leave on come to stop and move bike backward/moving peddles it feals like brakes slightly on, no code shown, shutting off and restarting behaved normally immediatly, then this stopped for 50 miles and happened twice this week.)

Two questions:

What should/can I test and how. (ie voltage or current and when)

Also other than the hassle, should I be concerned about fixing instead of using to avoid damage?

Any input? THANKS

BRAKE SENSOR FAIL

Hello guys. Nice thread here, need to go through.

Have a question as after searching here did not come to similar experience.

After a while one of my brake sensor stop working. I have magnetic sensor glued to hydraulic brakes. I think this is controller issue, as when I turn off battery, then it works again. Anybody have same experience, any idea how to fix?

Now I can not shift without left brake sensor. I hope second one wont get damaged also and I will put it in paralel with second sensor.

PS: funny things these china motor doing, in the begining small Led on speed sensor was alternating when magnet goes around, now it still on! How come???

thanks Michael. Will check sensor tomorrow, but as I said, it works for a while.

Back